• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

electric water pump???

own6volvos

He who controls the Spice
I have seen some electric water pumps on ebay, and was wondering if one of those would ever be worth while to have on a volvo... or if it is just a track thing for temp use.

You know I've thought about this too, that and electric p/s pumps.

You could make it work for sure, you'd have to make a blockoff plate and some adapters for where the stock water pump was. Or, you can do another option of an electric drive for the stock pump. I've seen this done alot in hot-rod app's and it doesn't put to much load on the alternator. Nice thing is that it moves more water an idle than a stock pump.

That would be kind of tough to set up a bracket, but much easier than a electric pump in general.

so what type of motor would i have to use to power the stock pump? Like what HP rating should the electric motor have?

Kevin :?:

you can buy a kit from Summit for an electric drive water pump

You know, both ways seem like an interesting way to go. I bet you could put it where the P/S or AC goes (electric drive) and it would probably work pretty slick. Be nice on high HP cars to help cool them w/out running the motor (double that if you live in CA, AZ or TX).

That electric pump looks a little e-ramish! LOL, no actually I would imagine that would work really well as well. That may even be easier to adapt, but you'll still have to make a block off plate w/ an adapter for the cylinder head to make it all plumb the right way. Or, I guess you could gut the stock pump, weld a cap over the outlet side and run it off the heater lines. But that seems like an awful lot of water going through to small an opening.

Doug

that pump goes inline on the lower radiator hose...it comes with adapters to fit your hose diameter....no mention of what you do with the stock pump.

Evan

In the writeuip for the electric water pump, it states you need to remove the impellor of the stock water pump and use it as a idler pulley or you could remove the shaft altogether and weld up the housing. This looks like a definate possibility but I think it needs a bit more real world testing before I buy one. Dan242tic

Back