• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Ignition harness plug to ICU

bronze mettle

I've been searching and haven't found any information on this other than things like, "that connector is tricky.."
I have an 84 244GL LH 2.0, replacing the engine and ignition wiring harnesses with new from Dave B, all going well until i get to the ICU connector that Dave informs us are not made anymore and must be reused.
He goes into detail on how to reuse these plugs but as far as I can tell, the plug i've got is the exception to the rule. He's out of town until the end of the month or I'd be messaging him about it. It's the older plug style, without weather seals, and seems like the wire terminals/plug are pull-to-seat and that the terminals won't be able to come out the back as Dave says. But i also can't get them to budge out the front or even twist in the connector. They're totally seized.
Tried a junkyard for another plug, only one i was able to get has the exact same problem. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any help or advice or direction anyone can point me in would be really helpful.
thanks very much.

-B
https://postimg.cc/gallery/sxpTZgz

I don't know if these would work, they might have the tool to remove the wire connection from the plug. I haven't seen that type of plug. Sorry couldn't be more help.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0922GF9W...g&sr=1-1-a094db1c-5033-42c6-82a2-587d01f975e8

It looks like the issue is that the back end of the plug is sealed, preventing the connectors from being pulled out the back.

I see two Philips screws on the plug - any chance they're holding it together clamshell-style?

thank you for the replies!

It looks like the issue is that the back end of the plug is sealed, preventing the connectors from being pulled out the back.

I see two Philips screws on the plug - any chance they're holding it together clamshell-style?

you're right about it not being pulled out the back. the holes the wires come out of aren't even big enough for the terminals to come out. And the metal terminals themselves have barbs that face forward. I suspect when the harness was manufactured the wires were pulled through from the back and out the front where the terminals were crimped on and then pulled backwards to seat into the plastic plug. i've bent those front facing barbs inwards so they can't prevent the terminals from moving back out the front but they're stuck in place. i imagine heat cycles and 40 year old grease have just got them stuck in place.

unfortunately those philips head looking things are just part of the plastic molding that fit into the corresponding seats in the mating side of the other half of the connector. you might be able to see them in the photos but they're small. each side of this connector has a separate volvo part number: 4055413 and 4055414

Still at a loss for what to do beyond finding the newer style connector with the weather seals.

well this is a suitable option if i can't get my hands on an alternate plug or sort out some way to free this one of the old wiring/terminals. thanks for the info, i'm going to email gcp and see if they can source a plug for me.

Oh I see now, in the final photo the connector is split in half.

Have you given it a good soak in contact cleaner to possibly loosen up some of that 40y/o grease and glue? If you have replacement wires and terminals, a metal pick might be able to free up the back end a little...

Barring getting them out or finding a replacement (NOS or nice used), your best bet may be taking some really good measurements and getting something compatible printed out of ABS...

Have you given it a good soak in contact cleaner to possibly loosen up some of that 40y/o grease and glue? If you have replacement wires and terminals, a metal pick might be able to free up the back end a little...

Barring getting them out or finding a replacement (NOS or nice used), your best bet may be taking some really good measurements and getting something compatible printed out of ABS...

I have replacement wires and terminals. I've tried soaking everything for 24 hours to no avail. I sourced one of these plugs from a junkyard that's in the exact same shape and i've nearly destroyed one of them trying to extract the wiring and terminals, similarly to what you described.

GCP emailed me back and said they don't have that part in stock.

I think my only sure bet right now is to get one printed as you've suggested. unless a later model pops up at the junkyard and i get to it before someone else.

thanks for your support and ideas.

unless a later model pops up at the junkyard and i get to it before someone else..

Well, you're in Portland, so probably one of the best places to get spare parts from the dismantlers around here. Unfortunately I don't know what would be compatible. You could try messaging 2manyturbos (closest one that I know of) and asking if it's something he has or knows how to substitute.

There was a Volvo repair and parts place called Red Block Performance in the Portland area. I never dealt with them but have watched their videos on Utube. Had lots of parts and said to call with your needs.

@bronze mettle

May be the connector is printed like commercial plugs?
I've opened similar connectors by using the tool that seems a big round pin.
The first one to remove is generally more difficult since you have to understand how to use the tool and to unlock the little tab.
Obviously all I say works only if the connector is openable and not printed.

On aliexpress generally you can find also near every kind of pin replacements and the crimping plier with all kinds of special jaws (i've rebuilt with success the Bosch 25 and 35 pins connectors in this way when I built my ECU breakout boxes but I opened also many other plugs)

Wild idea - you could slide the connectors in place over the socket pins (with no plug housing), fill the thing with epoxy or silicone (preferably sealing off the backside, etc so it doesn't get inside the housing) and splice in a proper connector further up the harness.

Well, you're in Portland, so probably one of the best places to get spare parts from the dismantlers around here. Unfortunately I don't know what would be compatible. You could try messaging 2manyturbos (closest one that I know of) and asking if it's something he has or knows how to substitute.

yeah i'm hoping so. only a few 240s at the south portland pnp and one in sherwood, right now. just checking the inventory twice a day. thanks for the direction to 2manyturbos, i'll message them next

yeah i'm hoping so. only a few 240s at the south portland pnp and one in sherwood, right now. just checking the inventory twice a day. thanks for the direction to 2manyturbos, i'll message them next

You just need to check from Tuesday to Friday for inventory. Cars are always put out on Monday. You can use row52.com. New inventory will always show up listed the next day. Sometimes new cars are set on Friday but not that common. If it were the case, they'd show up listed on Saturday.

You just need to check from Tuesday to Friday for inventory. Cars are always put out on Monday. You can use row52.com. New inventory will always show up listed the next day. Sometimes new cars are set on Friday but not that common. If it were the case, they'd show up listed on Saturday.

Thanks for the heads up! I?ll keep my eyes peeled.

Back