home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #1
MstrJosh
Board Member

Default Project Replace Everything - 242TIC

Heres my 139k mile 1984 242 turbo. Spent years searching for a blue one. I had always wanted one, but they are just not common on the east coast anymore, having all rotted away probably 20+ years ago. My grandma drove two into the ground herself. I bought this sight unseen on eBay 3 years ago as an east coast survivor. Recently I dove into keeping Kjet happy with a new WUR, injectors, and seals. Then promptly spent a month trying to get a snapped injector bolt out of the head.

Ive got some BBS wheels currently being refurbed, poly bushings waiting to go in, and just waiting on some BNE suspension parts.

Spending this summer restoring parts under the hood as well as further refreshing suspension. Aiming for a better paint job in the fall.

Beyond the basic stage 0, the car currently has the following mods:
Cherry turbo strut brace
GT Braces
Yoshifab chassis brace
Yoshifab oil drain
25mm sways front and rear
Bilstein HD's and no-name lowering springs
740 turbo in tank fuel pump
IPD turbo cam
STS adjustable cam gear
Bosch fog lights
Heckblende rear panel
Louvers

I've also got an Instagram for the car for those who might be interested in more regular updates on the POS. @MstrJosh

MstrJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Coupid
Board Member

That is a great looking coupe! The paint looks great to me from the photos at least
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
MstrJosh
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
That is a great looking coupe! The paint looks great to me from the photos at least
Thanks! Paint is decent but itís cheapness shows when youíre looking at it up close. It was done back in 2012 but the only spot thatís failing is a fingernail sized peel on the trunk.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:35 PM   #4
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Looks great! Good luck with the project.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:09 PM   #5
atomicdeathmonkey
Board Member

Love this :D I have a set of bbs wheels I need to get refurbed too! thinking those louvres may need to happen on my 242 too!
Old 03-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #6
MstrJosh
Board Member

Well.. the wheels are back! The shop did a great job on straightening out the lips and refinishing the black powder coat. I actually hadn't considered that my lug nuts wouldn't fit, and that the studs may be too short.. duh! New lug nuts on, but not quite enough turns to inspire enough confidence to drive. So the extended studs are on their way.

Included a bonus pic of the engine bay too. Replaced all the accessory belts as some started to squeak, she's as quiet as a mouse again.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:05 AM   #7
KwikBrik245
Board Member

Looking great! I am especially jealous of your wheels.

'88 744, Twin Turbo LS1/T56, Grizzly locked Dana 30.
KwikBrik245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #8
MstrJosh
Board Member

Motor mounts have seen better days, these appear to be originals I removed. The driver side one wasn't attached at all. Replaced with a diesel mount on the driver side, Volvo turbo mount on the passenger side, couldn't get a diesel in time. Engine was parked nicely on top of the subframe, luckily these got noticed before the oil pan wore through my power steering line.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
MstrJosh
Board Member

Started the manual swap Ive been planning for years but avoided doing because of the pedal box horror stories. Took me about an hour to swap it and it was pretty painless. Removed the seat and cluster for room. Waiting on some new cage bushings for the trans and for the flywheel to be resurfaced.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #10
thessejway
Į\_( ͡❛ ͜ʖ ͡❛)_/Į

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrJosh View Post
Took me about an hour to swap it and it was pretty painless.
Wish this was the case for me when I did the same job on my 940 a few weeks ago. 3 hours and a very sore back. Even with the Drivers seat out.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #11
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo

Pulling the gauge cluster like you did sure helps. Long extension for the ratchet wrench. I can think of far worse jobs on a 240.

Car looks great. It seems like more of these are getting the attention and appreciation they deserve. Nice to see that.
Dave

'84 242ti, fourth owner, mine since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because I like. B21FT, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with modded 0.73 OD, 3.91 diff, unmodified G80.
Volvo Ambivalence of Volvo Enthusiast Community: prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: davebarton.com
240 Mods and Fixes Pages: 240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html

Last edited by dbarton; 05-11-2021 at 10:09 PM..
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #12
MstrJosh
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
Pulling the gauge cluster like you did sure helps. Long extension for the ratchet wrench. I can think of far worse jobs on a 240.

Car look great. It seems like more of these are getting the attention and appreciation they deserve. Once to see that.
Dave
Wouldíve been much trickier without pulling the cluster. Canít imagine how Iíd reach the top bolts for the box.

And thanks. Iím hoping that the days of clean 242 turbos getting trashed are over. Seems a lot more are getting saved than they used to.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:05 AM   #13
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

As they become scarce, the remnants wind up getting fixed up. As an example, the somewhat crusty '82 I own, seen below.

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46 - soon to be for sale.

@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #14
MstrJosh
Board Member

Finally got around to starting the swap. I suppose I didn't anticipate for how tall the auto was with the pan, so I didn't quite have enough room to roll it out on the trans jack like planned. So I just slid it off after the photo and dragged it out.

Volvo rear main seal with a Volvo gasket for the housing.

Decided to just replace the oil separator while the starter was out, easy to reach it from underneath. Volvo separator with new seal.

All going smoothly so far. Pilot bearing in, retaining clip in, and Sachs clutch in. Flywheel was resurfaced as well. Planning on doing the wiring Saturday, along with routing the speedo cable. Ideally I will have the M46 in on Sunday.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:41 PM   #15
atomicdeathmonkey
Board Member

Stellar work man !
atomicdeathmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:22 PM   #16
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Nice to see an east coast survivor in that great blue! Great job on the car and you'll really love how much more fun the car is with the manual!

PS Use a 164 engine mount for the trans and enjoy much better shifter feel and less movement of the gear shift.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.

Last edited by dl242gt; 05-30-2021 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: add comment
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #17
MstrJosh
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Nice to see an east coast survivor in that great blue! Great job on the car and you'll really love how much more fun the car is with the manual!

PS Use a 164 engine mount for the trans and enjoy much better shifter feel and less movement of the gear shift.
Thanks for the tip. I ended up getting the IPD HD trans mount which I read was a 164 mount. Crossmember was a total PITA though. Took me a while to figure out I could ratchet strap it into place.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:43 PM   #18
MstrJosh
Board Member

Welp.. the M46 is in. I have yet to drive it, or start it for that matter. Ive been delaying finishing up installing the exhaust because then I have to drive it, and face the possibility of having done something horribly wrong with the swap..

Probably 6 months ago I had a custom shift knob made for my car. CDIY made it from recycled skateboards. Fits the stock OD button nicely.

Stainless exhaust thats going on the car.

I finally got my coils in the mail too. I ordered them back in March, and Im glad I did because they got delayed. I never asked why but I think I remember Ben telling me he had been waiting on the shocks. No matter, they're here now. Should have these in by mid July. Ive got to work out the M46 swap kinks for a show by the end of June, and then the car is going on a road trip in the beginning of July.

This has been soaking up a lot of my free time too. My dad and I have been restoring his 68 1800S, original black + red interior. Rust repair, paint, full drivetrain rebuild, expecting 160whp from the build.

Mikuni carbs as well

Old 06-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #19
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrJosh View Post

I finally got my coils in the mail too. I ordered them back in March, and Im glad I did because they got delayed. I never asked why but I think I remember Ben telling me he had been waiting on the shocks. No matter, they're here now. Should have these in by mid July. Ive got to work out the M46 swap kinks for a show by the end of June, and then the car is going on a road trip in the beginning of July.
I bought all of Koni's Volvo 240 inventory available, and they had to make more to get me enough inventory to fulfil all the orders we got.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #20
MstrJosh
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
I bought all of Koni's Volvo 240 inventory available, and they had to make more to get me enough inventory to fulfil all the orders we got.
Ah makes sense now! Excited to get them in. My springs have seen better days.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #21
MstrJosh
Board Member

After a worrying first start that was a failure because of a bad remanned Bosch starter, the swap was a success. Still not very drivable because the new exhaust barely fits in the center. Rear fits perfectly, but the middle hits the floor no matter how low I let it hang. Clutch cable needs to be adjusted and then it’s good to go.

Last edited by MstrJosh; 06-08-2021 at 09:32 PM..
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #22
MstrJosh
Board Member

The car is finally dependable enough to have made one of my dream trips, which was to drive up Mt Washington. The car covered 920 miles over the weekend, and was accompanied by my friends WRX, 2019 Miata 30th AE, and a 1996 Miata M edition. Car drove well all weekend, minus a momentary glitch with the OD solenoid.

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #23
MstrJosh
Board Member

Now that the trip is over, Im finally doing the coils. I ended up ordering new spring perches for the rear, as my originals were not pretty. Other new parts and new hardware as well. Im also gonna slap on my stainless brake lines, as the fronts were replaced in 2007 and the rears are still the original hoses. Superpro poly bushings in the front arms and powder coated rear arms.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #24
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

looks like you went with a BNE coilover setup...do you mind sharing your specs (spring rate F/R, length, etc)?

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #25
MstrJosh
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
looks like you went with a BNE coilover setup...do you mind sharing your specs (spring rate F/R, length, etc)?
I believe theyíre 275lb front 150lb rear with the Koni sport dampeners. 10 inch front springs and 11 inch rear. I took a drive after I did the rears and itís a better ride than what my Bilstein HDs offered.