home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
S70T5fivespeed
Its always 7:4O somewhere
 
S70T5fivespeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: CANADA
Default 05 v70 AC

The SO saying her AC isnít blowing so cold lately. 05 V70 about 235km. Still works overall it would appear.

Calling around some shops saying I need to pay for an inspection first, others saying they can just recharge it. Wondering if anyone has any advice on this system whether itís weak ford ish that needs to be inspected first or if they are generally good and strong enough to just get it recharged without spending the extra money.

Thanks
__________________
99 S70T5M black on graphite
91 740SE white on black
90 740TI black on checkers
In the barn: 67 123GT
S70T5fivespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Like all AC systems, it likely has a slow enough leak that in 20 years, it's no longer working well. Put some gauges on it, but I bet you could get away with an evac, vacuum, and recharge. Done that many many times on friends cars and 2 years later they're still ice cold.
__________________
Feedback Thread
White liberals are the scum of the earth.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
S70T5fivespeed
Its always 7:4O somewhere
 
S70T5fivespeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: CANADA
Default

Thank you that helps!
S70T5fivespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
turbomant5
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: lake havasu city az
Default

that generation of volvo suffered from excessive ac compressor clutch gap also. this could cause the ac to stop blowing cold. happened to me on my 01 v70t5 and my current 04 v70r m66.
turbomant5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
ovlov760
Board Member
 
ovlov760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Midwest - IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomant5 View Post
that generation of volvo suffered from excessive ac compressor clutch gap also. this could cause the ac to stop blowing cold. happened to me on my 01 v70t5 and my current 04 v70r m66.
Does the Ford style shimectomy apply?
ovlov760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #6
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>
 
ZVOLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Default

It sounds like you have a leak. If it gets cold at all, the compressor is working.

Do a visual on the whole system and look VERY closely for any green/oily residue.

We have a sniffer to find leaks, but a visual is the best start.

MY method is to recover it with a machine, which weighs what came out, to get an idea of how low it was. Then I vac, charge, and make sure the system works. Then I go about finding small leaks that didnt jump right out at me on the initial quick visual inspection.

Worst case: evaporator

Best case: leaking seal, Schrader valve.

Common failures: leaking hoses, fittings, condenser, etc.
__________________
No Start Thread
ZVOLV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
GTJordan
Been here for too long
 
GTJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Edmonton AB
Default

Legally, in Canada, you can't just evac and recharge a system. You have to fault trace for a leak. If it is low, there is a leak technically. That has to be fixed prior to the charge.

Now the legal stuff is over. I like to evacuate and see just how low it is. If it is just a bit, charge it up and see how long until it fails again. Get an idea of the size. Honestly, if it is only low a bit, it may last for a few years.

On that car, I've changed more condensers than anything. Just takes a rock wrong and punctures it. I haven't had an evaporator on a P2. But it is not as humid out here as it is there and things break down based on environment all the time.

Jordan
__________________
80 242- 2.5L 16V, NIW intake/exhaust, GT3076, T5 w/ 2.95 gearset, Porsche brakes, Gaz short coilovers/shocks and Kaplenkhe suspension, Trutrack.
Project Thread- http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324470
GTJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
matt b
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
Legally, in Canada, you can't just evac and recharge a system. You have to fault trace for a leak. If it is low, there is a leak technically. That has to be fixed prior to the charge.

Now the legal stuff is over. I like to evacuate and see just how low it is. If it is just a bit, charge it up and see how long until it fails again. Get an idea of the size. Honestly, if it is only low a bit, it may last for a few years.

On that car, I've changed more condensers than anything. Just takes a rock wrong and punctures it. I haven't had an evaporator on a P2. But it is not as humid out here as it is there and things break down based on environment all the time.

Jordan
Are you allowed to add some dye in the system yourself ? The P2 platform makes AC charging easy, even with simple over the counter bottles from an auto part store. Some come with dye, makes it easy to find a leak if you have an UV light.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:38 AM   #9
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
Are you allowed to add some dye in the system yourself ? The P2 platform makes AC charging easy, even with simple over the counter bottles from an auto part store. Some come with dye, makes it easy to find a leak if you have an UV light.
When refrigerant leaks, it is usually replaced with ambient, humid air. Those OTC cans are crap, but WILL work. It's always recommended to suck the system down and remove any ambient air and moisture when possible.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.