• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Degreeing cams

Hipopinto

Hey all

I?m wanting to check my Schneider reground turbo cams

HOW do I get a dial indicator on top of the bucket?

Does anyone have any insight on degreeing a set of these cams?

Thanks guys
Dave

The bucket is larger diameter than the width of the cam lobe, so you can probe down beside the cam lobe to hit the bucket.

I have made some extensions for my dial indicators for length and offset.
The tip of the probe unscrews and you can find a screw the same size to attach an offset probe tip.

Ok

I will take a closer look today

My tip does unscrew I can give it a try

Thank you for all your help

Dave

Not only do you want the extensions, but I use a 90* "finger", like so: https://www.travers.com/indicator-accessory-11pc-assorted-set/p/57-030-101/?gclid=CjwKCAiA-f78BRBbEiwATKRRBLtG72Cip4GVpWWZ6WwJ-Z0n2U-2vAe_3p1c8kSM_KLKkHS-ruZpqBoCAPQQAvD_BwE screwed onto the end of the dial indicator, and the magnetic base attaches to a cage I made for changing valve springs. You need to make sure that the dial indicator moves in the same plane as the valve stem, or else it skews the result.

It's not wicked easy, and even harder if you're determined to do it correctly. Like I've posted in our sticky, it takes probably 2 hours to set it up in car, and at least 45 minutes per cam to get the measurements. Take them from lots of data points! It's easier to set it up once and get 40 points than it is to set it up 4 times getting 10 points each.

I improvised by making a loop in a piece of bailing wire to fit the screw then bending a piece of that wire to form both a 25mm extension and some sideways reach. You just have to get clear of the lobe and bailing wire at that length is fairly rigid.

I have never degreeing my volvo cams, if cam is original (a,b,v,d,h,k,v,vx,vx3 etc.) i'm just put nro 1 in tdc and rotate camshaft that way that marks are aligned, then throw belt in place.

Now i have a custom camshaft, which must be position that intake valves are 2.5mm open and then put the belt on.

Sorry from my bad english.

Greetings from Finland.

Back