• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Front of my engine looks rather oily

dalek

Benchracer Tribe
I noticed there was some oil on the bottom of the engine a few moments ago and then decided to see what is up. And this is what I saw. I am a couple of miles from home. What would be the possible sources for all of this oil? Cam seal? FYI, I have cleaned my PCV system months ago.
4noi2mC.jpg

My bet would be on the cam seal. Can you bend the plastic timing belt cover backing forward a bit to see the cam and seal?

I noticed there was some oil on the bottom of the engine a few moments ago and then decided to see what is up. And this is what I saw. I am a couple of miles from home. What would be the possible sources for all of this oil? Cam seal? FYI, I have cleaned my PCV system months ago.

Thinking camshaft seal prolly? The last time I did water pump, timing belt, etc..I noticed the orange(Elring?) cam seal looked perfect, then ironically it failed less than a year later on a low miles DD brick :roll:

IPD had genuine Volvo Camshaft seals on sale, and I ordered one from them.

;-)

So I decided to peel behind plastic thingie. I do not know about you, but it looks dry to me:
z6mJ1au.jpg

But, over here looks (aux shaft?) rather wet. I am not saying that is where it is leaking but I am wondering other places it might be leaking from.
CevDIiS.jpg

I would replace all the seals, might be a PITA but what one is leaking?

I'm thinking it could even be the crank seal, allowing oil to pool up in the bottom of the lower timing cover, and getting flung everywhere by the timing belt. Do you always keep the upper timing cover off?

Do you always keep the upper timing cover off?
I try not to but broke the cover last year. Need to get a replacement one...

Are the front seals (crank/aux shaft) dimensions for a B230 the same as in a B23? I have a B23 block at home and was going to measure the holes so I can make me some seal tools.

Incidentally, does anyone know what is this (blue arrow) supposed to be? Just saw that and am away from car, so...
jfXskj9.jpg

Last edited:
Are the front seals (crank/aux shaft) dimensions for a B230 the same as in a B23? I have a B23 block at home and was going to measure the holes so I can make me some seal tools.

Incidentally, does anyone know what is this (blue arrow) supposed to be? Just saw that and am away from car, so...

From what I gather, yes, the seals are the same, as I figured from this iPd listing: https://www.ipdusa.com/products/106...SmJDPkY8yGGEO_eO1Or_BANw0XsifaSxoCjN8QAvD_BwE.

Also, that hole should be for the lower upper timing cover bolt, as dl242gt stated.

I'd change all the front seals, the timing belt, and get an upper timing cover. I don't see a reason to do all the work to replace only one seal. In addition, I don't know how that amount of oil would affect the timing belt, although I can't imagine it would last much longer without getting all gummy and failing.

I'd change all the front seals, the timing belt, and get an upper timing cover. I don't see a reason to do all the work to replace only one seal. In addition, I don't know how that amount of oil would affect the timing belt, although I can't imagine it would last much longer without getting all gummy and failing.

clean it up, replace the seals
jolly time to do any other repairs/replacmnts like bushings & whatnot

;-)

Last edited:
The new tool has a thin section that you place the seal on prior to installation. It protect the lip of the seal from scratches or rust on the snout of the cam.

1033633.jpg

The old tool (on the left) just pushed the seal in.

Cam&CrankSealTools.jpg

Back