• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

project blue is better

What color for my Titan wheels?

• Flat black

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Silver

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • White

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Certainly you should be able to pass with any 8V head, so why not a 531? Anthony says the intake side with "swan neck" is far superior to the 530. Both need equal improvement.....so perhaps NEXT time get a 531 and increase exhaust valve size, combustion chamber work to match exhaust...for MORE POWER :nod:

Don't both Hans and MadDog (Hamburg) have 531 heads?

Enjoy...going to work on the wife's SAAB 900 convertible...:-(

I was not able to find a 531 head here, because in my mad country, our beloved old Volvo are crushed directly when not used...the people here are thinking it's too old to stay on the road...:-(

Have fun with your Saab...;-)

Ok, my head is back from the machine shop...

Good news is :
-valve are sealed (vacuum checked)
-coolant passage are sealed also (pressure checked)

Bad news is :

-due to the bad gasket surface, the machinist have mill it -0.80mm...

So, it means the new CC volume is 51cm3.
The stock CC volume is 51.7cm3.

I was planning to increase the CR from 8.7 (stock) to max. 9.0:1.

With the 0.27 Mls Cometic gasket, the theoretical CR'll be 9.34:1!!! It's far too high for an old block like mine (460xxx km)!

So, plan B is in progress...

I'll install my new head with a stock HG, so the new CR'll be 8.8:1...

Not exactly my first choice, but it'll be ok also...

good luck and no snow!

And -- it is the dynamic Cr what counts, not the static. So depending on what cam you use, it can reduce the static CR by up to 1bar. --and then you would be just fine with the 0.27 thou mls in that department.
the problems arising from a slightly higher CR are not at the bottom end of the engine -- that would tolerate much higher than that.
It is rather the pinging which sets in when less than half throttle and accelerating.
My stock B230Ft equipped car was pinging like mad with the T-cam, once the V-cam was in = no more pinging.

Last edited:
Thanks Hans!

It snow all the day here...:wtf:

Anyway, I totally agree with you about dynamic CR, but I'm too worry to install the Cometic HG...so, a brand new stock HG is in the car now! Also because Iwas remember the pistons are below the block deck, but it's wrong! They're 0.3mm upper the deck...so no way to use a so thin HG...

I've never experimented any pinging with my car, maybe the RSI Stage 2 cam help me to avoid it?

For the record, my DD is running a .040" thick MLS and that was with my pistons .010" (0.25mm) above the deck. I've had no issues with detonation, of course, with 10.3 AFR's at WOT using TLAO chips! I don't exceed 16 PSI at this time with my manual boost control. I had a .036" COMETIC ready, but after discussion with Mr. Stealth we agreed that .040 was more safe.

My head was cut as well, but I think it didn't take anywhere near that much to cleanup....from memory it was around 0.5mm, maybe 0.4mm was closer. I have the IPD Turbo cam, so I expect dynamic CR is as Han's is describing.

Good luck.....are you back to Stoni's chips, or still running TLAO chips? :roll:

For the record, my DD is running a .040" thick MLS and that was with my pistons .010" (0.25mm) above the deck. I've had no issues with detonation, of course, with 10.3 AFR's at WOT using TLAO chips! I don't exceed 16 PSI at this time with my manual boost control. I had a .036" COMETIC ready, but after discussion with Mr. Stealth we agreed that .040 was more safe.

My head was cut as well, but I think it didn't take anywhere near that much to cleanup....from memory it was around 0.5mm, maybe 0.4mm was closer. I have the IPD Turbo cam, so I expect dynamic CR is as Han's is describing.

Good luck.....are you back to Stoni's chips, or still running TLAO chips? :roll:

I'm running TLAO chips, they're better since the 19T is in the car!

Ok guys, here are some pics of my head change :

The block cleaned and ready to receive the HG

P1000330_zps642d7d58.jpg

The cylinder walls, not so bad for 460 000 km

P1000331_zps0f6ce593.jpg

With the stock HG

P1000334_zpscc8af08e.jpg

The previous head

P1000335_zps9ecf6e8a.jpg

The new head, with the "group A" holes

P1000336_zpsad8b5046.jpg

The intake of the previous head

P1000338_zpsd7a22fd6.jpg

The intake of the new head

P1000341_zps78a664cc.jpg

Head installed and torqued

P1000342_zpse0ab7490.jpg

The exhaust of the new head, gasket matched

P1000344_zps82d9af72.jpg

Cam installed and degreed

P1000348_zps41b933e1.jpg

Nathan intake is waited

P1000353_zps5167b7b4.jpg

The 19T after approx. 12 000 km

P1000355_zps44b43296.jpg

No more pics for now, but the car is running well!

After a bit of driving, I can say that : WOW! I'm amazed about the power gain after 5000 RPM! It pulls far stronger as before! And the engine sound is awesome (at least for my ears...)!

Last edited:
Hello I have a couple questions for you, as you grind off the plane from the head unit? And what is your compression? Thanks for the reply.

Hello I have a couple questions for you, as you grind off the plane from the head unit? And what is your compression? Thanks for the reply.

Hello!

Yes, I've planed the head (0.80mm).

The new compression ratio is 8.8:1.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need help or info! :nod:

Congrats! I just noticed your cooling fan is mechanical.....is that a stock 9 series radiator (for the 92-95, "tall radiator"? I have the e-fan version radiator, and have considered returning to a mechanical system with the thermostatic controlled fan. If earlier in this thread, advise, I'm curious how you did it :roll:

From looking over some 7 series in the scrapyards, they appear too small to fit the larger 9 radiator. LMK, thanks! :cool:

Congrats! I just noticed your cooling fan is mechanical.....is that a stock 9 series radiator (for the 92-95, "tall radiator"? I have the e-fan version radiator, and have considered returning to a mechanical system with the thermostatic controlled fan. If earlier in this thread, advise, I'm curious how you did it :roll:

From looking over some 7 series in the scrapyards, they appear too small to fit the larger 9 radiator. LMK, thanks! :cool:

It's the stock radiator + fan from my '94 940.

Why you would like to remove the stock E-fan?

Maybe you know, 531 cylinder head for a turbo engine should sharpen plane and by how much? I was told that should definitely grind 1.5, is this true? Thanks for the answer

Back