• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mr.Borrie's 960 16V Turbo

Mr.Borrie

The Sneaky F*ing Ukrainian
On my local Volvo Club this car popped up, The add said Volvo 960 Turbo i looked at the photos and great looking car in the photo's like most cars look good in pictures. Found the picture of the engine and confirmed the 16V turbo engine.

The last time i saw one up for sale was the 740 that Flip21 bought, i had first pick on the car but did not had the resources to pick it up so let it fly. That was many years ago and never i saw a 16V turbo again till now.

I picked up the phone and called the guy to tell him it was sold, i could pick it up the next weekend without any hand money. My plan was to pick the car up and brake the car in my garage, that way nobody would have to know i was about to buy car Nr8.

Got my dad into the scheme to pick the car up 2,5 hour driving from my house, not telling the girlfriend or my mother since they will likely explode and call hoarders on my ass.

Not expecting to much of the car we arrived at the place, he guy has another 960 and a 740 in great condition, the 960 turbo was on the driveway.

I was shocked to see this car.. it was in perfect condition. great tires, no dents or scratches looking inside i saw a mint interior, rollo on the backwindow and 8 speaker system.

I rang the door and they guy opened up and gave me the keys, it came with all the 3 keys, garage key and glove lock key and 3 transmitters. i went inside and i just came to realize how mint this car was.. i could not spot anything that was only slightly off.

Popped the hood and found a great looking 16V turbo engine.. then the guy started telling all the stuff he had been done, replaced the nivomats, replaced all the hoses, when there was a wierd sound he would let the Volvo dealer check it, the trunk was filled with spare parts in Volvo dealer bags. He even had the A/C renewed last year.

Pretty confused by all this goodness i went for a little testdrive, i kicked it to 30000RPM and i was called to a halt, i needed to drive it slowly and let it heat up, he told me he never really liked the manual box and the ride become too much of a circus attraction when you went fast.

I had enough of this i told him i want the car and we could transfer the papers (so i could drive it like i wanted) driving home i got to unleas the craziness of this engine.

200+ chasing a new 911 Porsche is no problem for this 1500KG monster .. I got flashbacks to my yought when i was driving White Rice, the boost, the noise.. It has been missed more then i thought.

So that's the story how i got #8 , i dont see myself parting this car any time soon .. its a clean crazy ride..

1.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

i dont see myself parting this car any time soon .. its a clean crazy ride..

And even if you do...I will hunt you down and snatch the car, before you get such a crazy idea in your head!
I've also thought of buying this car, but (as always) waited to long with calling :censored::cries:
When you are running out of space...send me a PM :-P

Last edited:
Nice! Replace the oil pump gear for the updated model, just as a precaution. You really do not want that part to fail (which it tends to do with age).

I finally got to see one of these up on a lift today and noticed it was sporting an independent rear suspension! More than just a 940 with a newer engine for sure.

Car looks great, always liked the way 9series sedans looked!

What are you plans with it?

Nice car. A friend of mine got exatly the same. Drove it for a while perfect thing, quiet, luxury etc. Most of the parts now live on in a 744TIC.

damn thats pretty sick. I dont really care for the first gen 960s but I'd make an exception for that!!!

What a nice find in amazing condition.

Ditto on finding a cherry piece. Why even limited numbers of these weren't brought our way is beyond me. Enjoy!

Ditto on finding a cherry piece. Why even limited numbers of these weren't brought our way is beyond me. Enjoy!

dumb american customers + dumb volvo corporate...

the 2.0 liter 16V turbo was made specifically for countries that had better tax rates for motors 2.0 L and under I believe. In america they sent all the "big" motors aka plenty 6 cylinder whiteblocks.

It would of been cool to see them send a motor like this in the 780 though.

I saw this one come up for sale, and being reserved almost the same time.
Nice score for little money
+1 on the oil pump gear, been there done that (16 bent valves later)

Last edited:
dumb american customers + dumb volvo corporate...

It would of been cool to see them send a motor like this in the 780 though.

Agreed :lol:

I was under the impression the Italian market was supplied the B204ft in the 780, but it should be worth noting I recall that being only in Italy.

Btw did you know Polaris don't fit on the back of this car because of the IRS, which is 3 cm wider than a solid axle and because of that they rub your fender.

Back