• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

780: seat height mods?

Janspeed

I have owned and driven my 780 for a few months now and it's nice but there is one thing that is starting to annoy me slightly and that is the seat height of the drivers seat.
I am 6ft2 and the car has a sunroof, even with the seat adjusted in the lowest setting possible i am still brushing my head against the roof lining every now and then. I never had this problem in my 940's. And i have rode shotgun in a number of 740's but never any problems in those either.
I have considered getting a 940 seat but the seats in the 780 are gorgeous so i really don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.

Q: has anybody ever modded 780 front seats so they sit lower? Can it be done at all?
If yes how did you go about it?

I have owned and driven my 780 for a few months now and it's nice but there is one thing that is starting to annoy me slightly and that is the seat height of the drivers seat.
I am 6ft2 and the car has a sunroof, even with the seat adjusted in the lowest setting possible i am still brushing my head against the roof lining every now and then. I never had this problem in my 940's. And i have rode shotgun in a number of 740's but never any problems in those either.
I have considered getting a 940 seat but the seats in the 780 are gorgeous so i really don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.

Q: has anybody ever modded 780 front seats so they sit lower? Can it be done at all?
If yes how did you go about it?

The roofline on the 780 is chopped down from a 740, I'm 6' and hit my head unless the sunroof cover is open.

The roofline on the 780 is chopped down from a 740, I'm 6' and hit my head unless the sunroof cover is open.

No, it's not....

I'd say there's something wrong with your seat. I'm 6'2" with a long torso, and I never had an issue. I did have an issue in my 940 SE, until I fixed the seat so it would lower all the way....

No, it's not....

I'd say there's something wrong with your seat. I'm 6'2" with a long torso, and I never had an issue. I did have an issue in my 940 SE, until I fixed the seat so it would lower all the way....

Yes it is, from wiki

Like its predecessor, the 780 was designed and built by Carrozzeria Bertone in Turin, Italy. The hood, trunk, and roof lines were all slightly lower than the standard 700 series profile, and the C-pillar was wider and had a more gradual slope down to the trunk. Headroom was improved over the 262C because of Bertone's 1 cm lowering of the roofline.

Plus I have one it has much less head room than my 2 series.

Most 7/9 series cars had power seats on the driver's side and packing all the motors and whatnot under there pushes the seat higher. Manual seats have height adjustment, so you could swap manual seat brackets in and set it lower. Been wanting do do that myself as I don't care for how high they sit either.

Maybe someone who's done this can chime in.

Yes it is, from wiki

Like its predecessor, the 780 was designed and built by Carrozzeria Bertone in Turin, Italy. The hood, trunk, and roof lines were all slightly lower than the standard 700 series profile, and the C-pillar was wider and had a more gradual slope down to the trunk. Headroom was improved over the 262C because of Bertone's 1 cm lowering of the roofline.

Plus I have one it has much less head room than my 2 series.

Ugh....how much is "slightly"? Why are you referencing the 262...totally different platform...only commonality is the coachbuilder?

It's totally inaccurate to say that the 780 is a chopped down 740, when there isn't a common body panel between the two. Are you saying that the roofline is 1cm lower than the 740? Or the 262?

Is the roofline actually lower than the 740, or is the overall design just sleeker, due to the angle of the A-pillar/roofline/etc.? What's the height from the floor to ceiling on a 780 vs. a 740 (w/sunroof)? I'm not expecting them to be the same, since they're different cars, but I doubt there's much between them...for that matter, 1cm may in fact be accurate. But to that point....I doubt I'd be able to say, "wait a minute....there's way less headroom in this car versus that one....(1cm less headroom)"

Ok, I'm out....Take a look at your seat. Make sure you're getting full adjustability. It wouldn't be at all unheard-of for there to be some sticky cable or pulley or something in those seats.

Regardez

7a6ab1e2-1988-volvo-780-coupe-bertone-0-1024x555.webp

volvo-740_2912_1.jpg

I'm going to say the wiki article meant the 780 roof is 1cm higher than the 262. Compare the head rest heights and the angle of the seats, the 780 roofline is considerably shorter. Even the doors are shorter.

Last edited:
Back