home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
J_Jones
Board Member

Default Cruise Control mash-up

1987 Volvo 245 with engine vacuum operated system, ecu 3517400, trying to adapt the vacuum pump from the 90+ systems into it. Why? Because I went +t with a 15g and the vacuum system is no good with insta-boost while cruising. The '87 system has three wires going into the engine bay, so does the 90+, could it be that simple?
Problem is, I can't find a legit wiring diagram for either of the systems. Anyone done this before or have the diagrams? Help would be greatly appreciated.
If nothing else, I guess I could try plugging the three wires from the '87 system into the 90+ pump in random combos and see what happens but I would rather avoid this.

Thanks for your time.
J_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
rallydallas
Board Member

So the 87 system and the 90+ are both 3 wires? Sounds like they are both vacuum pumps. I found a diagram for an old one, 84, and it has a 5 wire servo motor.

Here's a pic from the file "Taliessin Penfound - TP32352-1 1993 240 Wiring Diagrams.pdf"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen1.jpg (167.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by rallydallas; 11-11-2019 at 07:14 PM..
rallydallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
J_Jones
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallydallas View Post
So the 87 system and the 90+ are both 3 wires? Sounds like they are both vacuum pumps. I found a diagram for an old one, 84, and it has a 5 wire servo motor.

Here's a pic from the file "Taliessin Penfound - TP32352-1 1993 240 Wiring Diagrams.pdf"
Thanks for the response. I have that one and a similar one for the '87 system. Yeah, both three wires. The 90+ is a vacuum pump while the '87 is a set of solenoids that open and close to let vacuum thru I think. Don't think that I am going to find a better diagram for either so the current plan is to see if there are an equal number of 12v and ground signals coming from each controller. If so, going to hook it up and see what happens. Will report back
Old 11-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
2 old for this
Board Member

Why not use a vacuum storage tank/chamber?
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
bobxyz
Board Member

Find a copy of TP30866-2_cruise_control.pdf and it may help with the '87 wiring.

I doubt that you can interchange the earlier 5-pin actuator and the later 3-pin actuator. I think the 3-pin controls vacuum and vent solenoids, while the 5-pin had a position sense resistor on the additional 2 pins. I have no idea if early/later 3-pin actuators can be interchanged successfully.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #6
J_Jones
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 old for this View Post
Why not use a vacuum storage tank/chamber?
That's what the factory '87 setup is, doesn't play nice with the turbo.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
J_Jones
Board Member

'87 box did not like controlling the vacuum pump so I ended up putting in the '90+ box, switch, pump and then splicing the existing wiring in. Connect the main stalk switch and then there are 6 wires that need splicing, two of which are power and ground. Works well, attaching the diagrams for each and it is easy to figure out for those in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc-90.JPG (46.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 86b.jpg (69.8 KB, 23 views)