home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
okayprotector
Board Member

Default Is my M47 self-destructing?

(Let me apologize for anything super nooby, this is my first Volvo and first time really working on a car.)

After some tough shifting, what I think is a noisy throwout bearing, and some intermittent shuddering, I decided to check the transmission oil levels in my 1993 Volvo 240. Roughly 165k miles on what I assume is the original trans, clutch, and everything else.

Here's what the magnetic drain plug looks like:

The fluid was dark brown and shiny. I wonder if the last owner just put motor oil in it. Should I even bother spending more time on it or is it basically dead/time for a rebuild?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Did you adjust the clutch? Make sure the clutch arm free play is about 2-4mm. Measured down by the trans on the clutch release bearing arm.

That is normal for having original fluid and a magnetic plug. The brown oil is a type of synthetic volvo puts in there from new. It is good stuff and is available. You can also use Type F ATF in there. The best oils are the volvo oil, or redline MTL. Put two quarts in there. Which is a bit more than volvo recommends.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
okayprotector
Board Member

No, nothing has been adjusted. I figured I'd at least check the fluid level. When I came out it was brown, so I assumed the worst and drained it. From the other threads I'd read, I was expecting something yellow-ish or more clear.

I bought some Royal Purple 75w80 full synthetic since that's what was available but haven't refilled it yet. Was going to let it drain fully overnight. Would the Volvo or Red Line be worth ordering and waiting on?

I've also got an odd buzzing sound around 2800 RPM in every gear. Wondering about one of the transmission bearings, maybe the countershaft?
okayprotector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

The royal purple is good stuff but that gear oil is thicker than what you are supposed to use. I think there is a syntheitci type F you can buy from royal purple. If the royal purple you bought is GL5 rated you can use it for the rear differential. M47 uses Type F or something similar. Not gear oil.

How is the trans mount? How is the exhaust? Buzzing or droning while at certain rpms could be bad mounts on engine or trans or a leaking exhaust making a drone at rpms.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
okayprotector
Board Member

Gotcha, I'll source some actual type F trans oil then. I need to doublecheck that trans mount. Last time I looked, there appeared to be oil on it but it could have easily been water. Last time I had a mechanic give it a once over they said the mounts were fine. The exhaust has definitely seen better days. In fact the tailpipe broke off last week. I think the noise predated that though. The noise sounds like it's coming from the engine bay.

I've got the car up on jack stands at the moment, so I'll definitely check the mount tomorrow. Thanks for helpful tips.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
90volvo
Board Member

yelp that is nornal. In my M47 Ive tried about every kind of oil in it to get a good smooth shift. The best is the volvo fluid but one that suprised me is the synchromesh by pennzoil work better than any other I have tried.
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:10 AM   #7
hessam69
Board Member

From where is the proper fluid available?
hessam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:33 AM   #8
90volvo
Board Member

I bought mine off of ebay. I still have the container, I will get part # to you if nobody chimes in by tomorrow evening. If you search google you should find it.
90volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #9
hessam69
Board Member

If you could post up the part number that would be terrfic
hessam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
okayprotector
Board Member

Got all the fluids swapped out. Had to wait for Amazon to deliver everything. Shifting feels a little smoother overall. For reference, this is what I ordered.

The trans mount looks good, other than the road grime and a little oil on the bottom end. I probably need to refresh the oil separator box and front cam seals as there's a little bit of a leak every time I change the oil. The exhaust is definitely crusty and needs to be replaced. I checked for clutch adjustment and everything was tight at the fork.

During the first drive after replacing the oil, I was able to confirm that the noise at 2800 RPM only happens when in gear. I'm assuming that means it has to be something transmission or drivetrain related. It's difficult to describe the noise, but it's kinda like when an old speedo cable goes bad mixed with the most annoying sound in the world from Dumb and Dumber.

Also there should be a term for trying to describe weird noises to people using only text. It's like a way more frustrating version of charades where you can talk but all the words sound stupid and not quite right.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #11
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

That's why they made up all those wacky words for sounds in comics.

Is the sound in every gear at that rpm? Or only one gear like top gear? If the drieshaft bearing is compromised that is one that can do weird stuff like that. Plus the faster you go the worse it can get but 2800rpm might be the resonance rpm in top gear so you hear it.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
okayprotector
Board Member

Right right. The noise is in all gears. Driveshaft bearing, interesting. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #13
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Even when my last M47 was dying. Fourth gear was quiet. All the rest were making this sound like marbles in a metal can spinning around. Especially fifth, third, and second. The damn thing started not finding gears with the shifter after making those noises for a couple of years. So I replaced it with the leaky rebuilt bitch in there now.