home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-09-2020, 10:56 PM   #1
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Default 242 Walboro 450lph install

today I was upgrading the intank fuel pump from my 255lph to a walboro 450lph. Everything is straight forward except im having problems getting the assembly back in since the lower part of the pump is flared out. Hoping to get some tips on making it fit, thanks guys.

Rebuilt 93 B230FT block, KL Racing T3 Cam, Dual Valve Springs, 38/46 Valves, Ported, ARP Head Studs, T5WC, MSII-Extra, EDIS, Nathan Exhaust Manifold, Ebay Turbo , 90lb injectors, Full E85, 3" exhaust, Kaplhenke Coilovers Front/Rear Koni Race Single Adjustableís, RX7 Brakes, IPD 25/25 sways

1965 122s

89-240gl+t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Remove the float arm but sometime tie it on so you can clip it back on once the pump is most of the way in.

And good luck, having recently done a pump on a 240 I can't imagine the pain and time you havce spent on trying already.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:39 PM   #3
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
Remove the float arm but sometime tie it on so you can clip it back on once the pump is most of the way in.

And good luck, having recently done a pump on a 240 I can't imagine the pain and time you havce spent on trying already.
Will try that!

Yeah isnít that fun of a job...
Old 11-09-2020, 11:55 PM   #4
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

A regular pump only fits in when clocked a certain direction. I am about to do the same thing, install an Aeromotive 340 lph pump to feed my surge tank.

I gotta say I am not above doing a bit of grinding to make it happen, pump the tank dry and some magnets to catch the shavings.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:31 AM   #5
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
A regular pump only fits in when clocked a certain direction. I am about to do the same thing, install an Aeromotive 340 lph pump to feed my surge tank.

I gotta say I am not above doing a bit of grinding to make it happen, pump the tank dry and some magnets to catch the shavings.
Yeah Iím seriously thinking about it if I canít get it in tomorrow. My 255 went in no problem, but my 450 with the extra booty is a different story.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:35 AM   #6
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

They fit, somehow. The issue I had was with the filter being in the way, so I had to rotate the filter a few times to get it clocked the best. The float only fell off a few times.
The AEM 320 (?) pumps fit so much better.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
They fit, somehow. The issue I had was with the filter being in the way, so I had to rotate the filter a few times to get it clocked the best. The float only fell off a few times.
The AEM 320 (?) pumps fit so much better.
Going to mess with it today again. I only dropped the ball in once so far.

Man the head I just installed from you sounds so rowdy!! Thanks again for everything, working with Kenny right now with the tune
Old 11-10-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89-240gl+t View Post
Going to mess with it today again. I only dropped the ball in once so far.

Man the head I just installed from you sounds so rowdy!! Thanks again for everything, working with Kenny right now with the tune
Glad it's working out well!

Are you using an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator or the stock one? I ask because the stock one does not flow enough for the 450lph pump, and your base pressure will be ~55psi and will cause some odd tuning issues as fuel pressure will not be consistent with load and boost.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Ended up getting it in, was able to squeeze the float ball in last.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
dalek
Benchracer Tribe

Which aftermarket fuel pressure regulators would you recommend? I keep being told the ebay ones with gauges are not something to use but I do not know if that means they like to leak or their gauges' readings have no correlation with reality... any reality. Which is a shame since I can see the benefits of having a gauge right there instead of having to disassemble the line to put one as the Volvo manual would indicate.
"Use the barbed adapter like what I use to inflate the air camping mattresses and my dates." FTF Engineering
i am inspired. i will replace my windsheild... with an intercooler.swedishK
Feedback!
dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #11
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
Which aftermarket fuel pressure regulators would you recommend? I keep being told the ebay ones with gauges are not something to use but I do not know if that means they like to leak or their gauges' readings have no correlation with reality... any reality. Which is a shame since I can see the benefits of having a gauge right there instead of having to disassemble the line to put one as the Volvo manual would indicate.
I didnít end up installing a fpr and havenít had any problems so far
Old 04-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #12
JKnuck6
Board Member

I have a walbro 450 and the 4bar fpr from a dodge daytona. I am having SERIOUS issues with drivability 1200-2500rpm. Everything above that is amazing.

It is on microsquirt and a turner has spend hours with it. He is saying the only thing he would put his money on is the fpr. Any help or suggestiosn?
91 940 Turbo (sold)
94 850 Turbo Wagon (sold)
JKnuck6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #13
89-240gl+t
Board Member

Ive been told that the stock fpr wouldn't work with the 450 but I havent had any issues with mine at all. Running straight e85 as well