home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
vintagewrench
Board Member

Default Clutchnet Sintered Iron Six Puck Clutch

This heavy duty well-made Clutchnet sintered iron mix six puck clutch purchased buy the PO in 2004 just came in with some Volvo 410 transmissions and parts. Most clutches of this type are either in or out. Will the damping springs smoothen the engagement?

Last edited by vintagewrench; 03-28-2021 at 06:50 PM..
vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
sbabbs
Board Member

Looks like there 6 puck ceramic disc. I had one back when. Worked great until the flywheel exploded and totaled my car at the track doing a burnout at 7k rpms. They are on off switch but they are designed to slip a little but that is what causes problem on the cast iron flywheel if it gets to hot. One thing to keep in mind is it is thicker then the stock disc so use washers to space your pressure plate out more so it will clamp fully and not slip just getting on the boost. Mine did at first so I took tranny back out and then spaced it out and then it didn't slip a whole bunch anyway.

1995 940 White racing wagoon. 13c m90 to put in
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #3
mikep
The MP

Look up flywheel explosions in google image search. You won’t race with an iron flywheel after. Especially one that has been carved on. I have lightened a few, but i got lucky and did not rev that high. Yes i had them balanced, but iron will fail.
Want a kangaroo hide?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted View Post
Now why would I want to hide my kangaroo.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
283SD
Board Member

Good for leaving the line at the drag strip @ 6-7k RPM. On the street PITA, been there done that. Kevlar is much better.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:25 PM   #5
joel142
Board Member

I have a SPEC 6-puck Kevlar clutch in the 142 and 1st gear is a chattery mess. After it gets rolling it smooths out. What's really a pain is starting on a slight incline.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:01 AM   #6
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

It would be perfect for a road race or track car. The so there’s iron is less of an on/off than the standard ceramics.
For what it’s worth, I’ve had no issues with all the 6-puck clutched I’ve installed in rally cars. Yes, they have a much smaller on/off window, but you can still slip them slightly.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
vintagewrench
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
It would be perfect for a road race or track car. The so there’s iron is less of an on/off than the standard ceramics.
For what it’s worth, I’ve had no issues with all the 6-puck clutched I’ve installed in rally cars. Yes, they have a much smaller on/off window, but you can still slip them slightly.
Ronald, Thanks for your thoughts on this type of clutch friction material.
vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #8
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

I ran a 6 puck on my b230 with tall gearing. It heavily wore away the flywheel in a short amount of distance. It did not slip though.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
sbabbs
Board Member

If not slippage then how did it wear out the flywheel? Ha ha ha.... It slips a little bit every time you engage it, or is that just called slop slippage? Makes me wonder how CNC boy cuts his metal? It's not cutting it, it is slicing! Probabbsly that triangle shaped flywheel is the problem.
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #10
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
It heavily wore away the flywheel in a short amount of distance. It did not slip though.
They definitely do wear out pressure plates if they are slipped a lot when taking off. I just get them engaged as quickly as possible, then hammer down. They're also okay if you spin the tires when launching (like rally).

I've pulled a few out that had millimeters of wear on the pressure plate (fw was a lot better). But that's only been with drivers that slip the clutch on launches. No issues after replacement and telling them to rev to ~3500 and side step the clutch when launching.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:53 PM   #11
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
They definitely do wear out pressure plates if they are slipped a lot when taking off. I just get them engaged as quickly as possible, then hammer down. They're also okay if you spin the tires when launching (like rally).

I've pulled a few out that had millimeters of wear on the pressure plate (fw was a lot better). But that's only been with drivers that slip the clutch on launches. No issues after replacement and telling them to rev to ~3500 and side step the clutch when launching.
yea. that works for a rally car. not great for street use (how i was using it)
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote