• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Starter noise beginning!

RedFridge

1983 242 turbo b21ft with an aw71

Really loud ziiiip ziiiiip.
Not engaging and taking several quick tries like the gear is not contacting the flywheel properly.
Anyone have a part number or any ideas here?

Anyone experienced this? Why would this just start happening?
The starter works but concerned the teeth on the starter or flywheel are stripping abit.
Can I just replace that particular gear on the starter itself??

What to look for?
Mor importantly who might have one?

Roy? Do you have one laying around?

Thanks friends.

Last edited:
1983 242 turbo b21ft with an aw71

Really loud ziiiip ziiiiip.
Not engaging and taking several quick tries like the gear is not contacting the flywheel properly.

Anyone experienced this? Why would this just start happening?
The starter works but concerned the teeth on the starter are stripping abit.
Can I just replace that particular gear?

What to look for?
Mor importantly who might have one?
Anyone have a part number or any ideas here?

Roy? Do you have one laying around?

Thanks friends.

Haven't experience that on my Wag-goon, no noise..
In fact this morning about 0845 I was in Kent picking up some 4" 6061 aluminum bar and started didn't make any noise..

None..

(the solenoid klicked a bit)

Twist the key and nuthin.

Tomorrow, the starter comes out..
Nice day for that anyway..

It's like all of a sudden the teeth have worn or its out of alignment.
I'll check to see if it hasn't wiggled lose or the bolts aren't tight.

If that doesn't work.... Can you replace just the starter gear on the end?

Anyone in Portland have a used working starter laying around?

Any advice?
Suggestions?

Can't have one of the fleet go down right now.

Last edited:
Oh here is another question.
Concerning the hardness of metals.
If and I mean if damage has occurred to some gear teeth....which would you think would wear down or strip first.
The flywheel or the starter gear teeth?

Just curious.

Thanks guys.
If I were to give it a clean out and lube...some dielectric grease?
Any recommendations?

Speaking of recomendations...a good starter?
Where?
Any fairly priced starter hotspots?

The Bendix is going out, its the device that kicks the gear out into the teeth, Usually best to replace starter, but you can pull it and try cleaning and lubing it
Sometimes due to weak voltage, check all connections etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendix_drive

Was going to say, bendix 99% sure. Just happened on the BMW, but started working again on it's own.

Much nicer job to replace a starter on a b230 than a M50 though......

The gear on the starter is typically a bit softer than the ring gear so you should be fine on that.

I've actually had that happen a few times over the years. In each instance it's been the same issue...the solenoid. The solenoid does dual duty. It kicks the bendix out to engage with the ring gear, and also provides current to the motor to crank it over. If the pull-in winding isn't getting enough current the bendix may not fully engage and you get the 'motor only' noise. Also could be related to 30-year old grease in the solenoid, or no grease, or a sticky bendix. All of these are easy to check out, gotta pull the starter if you want to make life easy though.

Or just find another starter, toss it in, and hopefully that will resolve it.

Haven't experience that on my Wag-goon, no noise..
In fact this morning about 0845 I was in Kent picking up some 4" 6061 aluminum bar and started didn't make any noise..

None..

(the solenoid klicked a bit)

Twist the key and nuthin.

Tomorrow, the starter comes out..
Nice day for that anyway..

Ignition switch John...? Try jumping it first?

Ignition switch John...? Try jumping it first?

Solemoid did kinda lamely click.
Pulled starter----thanks Volvo for putting a firewall so close i could only sneak in with a swivel 19mm socket..grrrrrrr.
Once out jumped direct to the output lug on the solenoid---(for you noobs thats the one with a fat bare braided wire going from solenoid into the starter motor..)
Direct jump and Nuthin...
Pulled a nice big one at Pick-n-pull and back in bidness

Just wondering since i saw some reference to on 1988s of another 16g wire going to the little spade terminal---you have the one direct from key, but
IS THERE a SECOND little wire? is that terminal "54"?

Oh came to lurv the 2 piece clutch adjustment thang and the 2 pound hunk of scrap iron hung on the clutch lever.

Solemoid did kinda lamely click.
Pulled starter----thanks Volvo for putting a firewall so close i could only sneak in with a swivel 19mm socket..grrrrrrr.
Once out jumped direct to the output lug on the solenoid---(for you noobs thats the one with a fat bare braided wire going from solenoid into the starter motor..)
Direct jump and Nuthin...
Pulled a nice big one at Pick-n-pull and back in bidness

Just wondering since i saw some reference to on 1988s of another 16g wire going to the little spade terminal---you have the one direct from key, but
IS THERE a SECOND little wire? is that terminal "54"?

Oh came to lurv the 2 piece clutch adjustment thang and the 2 pound hunk of scrap iron hung on the clutch lever.

Nice John!

That particular '88 car does have 300,000something miles on it and a broken ODO gear (common) so probably just needs a brush or fresh solenoid contacts spot welded on, but modern timez doodz...

I've replaced tons and tons of small starters for every big one. I think, mostly just due to poorer quality solenoids and parts more than anything else.

Back