• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

what's everyone doing for fuel pumps these days?

740atl

Gear acquisition syndrome
I think the in-tank circa 2012 walbro 255 is dying in the lt1....

I noticed walbro has released higher flowing pumps...350/450/525.

What's the ticket right now for a decent pump for stock fuel system? Anyone have a link? I've always purchased from walbro direct... does anyone trust the stuff on amazon?

I'd go with the walbro 450, it's good and quiet, the 525 doesn't have a check valve inside the pump for some weird reason and likes to drain back fuel.

i have a single in tank dw200 for about 9 months now and i have no issues with it. Nice and quieter than stock and more than enough for NA

I'm running an AEM #50-1200, 320lph and E85 compatible. More or less direct fit in 940. It's quite quiet and has lasted 6,5 years so far.

E85 rated AEM that?s 320(?)LPH. Easy to fit, plenty of flow rate, and it?s $120 with the instal kit.

Do you know the part# on that aem unit with the install kit. Looking to e85 my 91 240 wagon as well. Heard of the dw300 failing early on at least 3 people. Qc more than likely. Don?t want to chance it. Anyone running surge tank with double pumps?

For a stock fuel system normally I would recommend Denso. The Denso pumps in my Acura NSX and Honda Pilot are 21 years and 18 years old and the pump in my Son's RSX is 16 years old. However, Denso does not list applications for the RWD Volvos, plus they seem to be having COVID 19 supply chain issues so you probably could not purchase one even if they listed. For a stock RWD Volvo I would stick with Bosch. The Bosch in-line pump in my 745 turbo lasted for a nudge over 14 years. Not bad; but, short of the Denso pumps in terms of durability.

If you go with a pump with a higher throughput than stock, check the current rating of the pump. There have been a few people who have installed the high capacity Denso pump that is for the Supra turbo and managed to cook their fuel pump relay and toast the pump wiring. If you don't need it, up-sizing may not be a good thing.

Do you know the part# on that aem unit with the install kit. Looking to e85 my 91 240 wagon as well. Heard of the dw300 failing early on at least 3 people. Qc more than likely. Don’t want to chance it. Anyone running surge tank with double pumps?

There are 3 different 340 LHP e85 pumps. I can't remember which one I used. They're all pretty similar, I just picked the one that came with the straight section of submersible fuel hose.

Looks like I used PN: 50-1200

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/fuel-delivery/high-flow-fuel-pumps

The aem 340 is a solid option for the price.

If going beyond a stock fuel system, blast a hole in the top of the tank and install an aero motive stealth twin 340 setup.

That's what I have sitting around the garage, waiting to put it in the wagon. Waiting for... dunno. Just not in the mood to take it apart right now.

I plan on running one pump all the time, kicking the other one in whenever it hits over a few psi of boost. And possibly swap the 'active' pump back and forth every once in a while.

That's what I have sitting around the garage, waiting to put it in the wagon. Waiting for... dunno. Just not in the mood to take it apart right now.

I plan on running one pump all the time, kicking the other one in whenever it hits over a few psi of boost. And possibly swap the 'active' pump back and forth every once in a while.

That?s exactly how my setup is wired. The ecu will kick on the second pump over a couple psi or if fuel pressure drops.

I also went AEM 340 e85. Its quiet. I have read some reviews that the included submersible fuel hose burst and may be of a lower quality. Im using it without a problem so far.
1dpqvjUl.jpg

Good info here. Many thanks to culberro for the pn he opted ofr. I want to change the pump on the 91 Regina wagon, since I have no idea if it has ever been touched (220K miles). Summit has the AEM 50-1200 in stock. Given the counterfeits out there, seems like a safer bet.

I've been using the e85 rated walbro 450's in my stuff. the real one, not the quasi-real ones lol. so far one of them has held on to the gold car at 40psi, so there is that.. I made provisions in the fuel system though to add a second one in-tank, might be getting close to that point.

044's are loud(and there's a lot of knock-offs of them around these days). 340's aren't bad either, most of those use the same basic frame.

also when you're upgrading an in-tank pump you NEED TO UPGRADE THE WIRING
ESP if this is not a single pump rex car (but even those probably need to be re-plumbed at this point). What I've been doing there is using the old pump wiring to trigger a 40amp relay that's back by the pump, and running a fused feed off the battery straight to that relay (there are probably better and/or more elegant ways to do that, but we're after the concept here).

Back