• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 Camper

Sorry, I should have been more specific. He was interested in a 4x4 truck (9th gen F150, or a mid 2000s Silverado) or a Tahoe/Suburban. All of these vehicles he has interest in are very expensive.

If we use reputable parts like what is offered through BNE and don't resort to shade tree butchery, it shouldn't hurt the value of this car, right?

:nono:

I did a quick search to see what’s out there. The 912A-585 seems to be the one they sell for jeep fronts.
The first ones i saw were clearance 912A398, low preload for jeep front. I am guessing that new number is low preload but with the harder case and 6 case bolts.
The 398s worked great in snow, not great for racing. They are part of the reason for the bad early reputation.

The old high preload number was 912A411. 3 larger case bolts like the 398 suffix diffs.

24099855.jpg

The new (2007) high preload diff with 6 bolts and harder case is 912A588.

74840251.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-912a588

*edit: it will say “3.73 up”. Ignore that. The one case size fits all volvo ring gears for 1030 and 1031.
Regarding that early post: I have a collection of several variations on pinions now. I haven’t posted pics, but i can do that with this info too.

Last edited:
have a look at a TruTrac diff. It's a torque sensing gears-only diff, no clutch pack inside.
If your Volvo has a 1030 axel / Dana30 rear end there are options from the Jeep aftermarket that will fit.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=55095

I've heard excellent things about the TrueTrac. My automotive teacher recommended one for my my truck, actually. Said it's the best hybrid between clutch style and a locker.

I did a quick search to see what?s out there. The 912A-585 seems to be the one they sell for jeep fronts.
The first ones i saw were clearance 912A398, low preload for jeep front. I am guessing that new number is low preload but with the harder case and 6 case bolts.
The 398s worked great in snow, not great for racing. They are part of the reason for the bad early reputation.

The old high preload number was 912A411. 3 larger case bolts like the 398 suffix diffs.

24099855.jpg

The new (2007) high preload diff with 6 bolts and harder case is 912A588.

74840251.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-912a588

*edit: it will say ?3.73 up?. Ignore that. The one case size fits all volvo ring gears for 1030 and 1031.
Regarding that early post: I have a collection of several variations on pinions now. I haven?t posted pics, but i can do that with this info too.

I'll talk to my friend about the 912A588. The ONLY thing I've heard about the torsen style differentials (TrueTrac), is that in cases where one wheel is off the ground, because there is no spring pressure between both sides, that the wheel in the air will spin freely (basically open diff in this case). For what we are doing, I think we should both be fine with this style of differential.

Y'all are over thinking this. The car has it's limits as with any car. Want to go off roading get a Jeep/Hummer/Chevy, Ford, GMC, Toyota ect. Something with 4X4 ?. Been there there done that. You are getting over complicated!!!

A Truetrac is nothing like a locker. Also, a truetrac will pull with one wheel on ice. And any unmodified clutch diff can go up in smoke with a wheel in a ditch. I can post pics of those bad parts, too.

Y'all are over thinking this. The car has it's limits as with any car. Want to go off roading get a Jeep/Hummer/Chevy, Ford, GMC, Toyota ect. Something with 4X4 ?. Been there there done that. You are getting over complicated!!!

If we stay away from difficult traction situations, we should be fine. We aren't mudding/rock crawling, we are just looking to go camping in some offroad areas.

If we stay away from difficult traction situations, we should be fine. We aren't mudding/rock crawling, we are just looking to go camping in some offroad areas.

Im running 14.5mm Lesjofors up front & 14mm on the rear(13mm stock) on a late 245, without changing much of the dynamics or camber, etc...it gives plenty of support with around 1"(+/-?) of lift while retaining stock handling characteristics. It works fine on dirt roads or trails.

:cheers:

Stock 245 Turbo with Hydra rims and 205/55R16 tires. Photo taken in the only smooth portion of the road I was on. The rest of the road looked like a minefield with 3-4" deep potholes every 2-3 feet that you'd have to play dodgeball with. Car did fine. Got dirty from all the mud splashing up on it, but no problems otherwise.

As an example, some mud splatters on the bumper...

So I've finally had the opportunity to measure what he currently has on his wagon. Seem he has rear springs that measure somewhere around 14.5mm. I think that means he already has overloads, but somehow his rear end is still sagging down...

I think the measurements of these matches the cheap Husky brand ones. Are the IPD a better bet? Or maybe adjustable mounts?

Back