home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications > aftermarket engine management

Old 09-22-2021, 08:21 PM   #51
Alan29
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
IIRC, you had a log of your original failure where the MAP sensor just got stuck at a high value, which I assume flooded the engine. For the CAS, you can look at "Lost Sync Count", and "Lost Sync Reason" in MegaLogViewer to see if the CAS is mis-behaving.

Your latest measurement of 4.92-5.00 Vref is OK. The 0.4 to 0.9 on power ground is a bit much -- have you walked your meter probes along the power ground wire&connections to see if the loss is distributed or if you can pinpoint it?

Any recent logs that happened to capture misbehavior?
Looks like I was posting my last response when you did. I've got a few logs from last week and this evening:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ve?usp=sharing

So I left out in my last post that I did replace the CAS and there was no difference at all. This was before my realization of the spark plug issue brought up by a couple guys in the TB discord.
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #52
Alan29
Board Member

Today I tried isolating the WB again to rule out a suspected shorting controller causing all this. No difference.

I did make an interesting discovery today though with the help of the discord guys. When in a no start condition after the MAP pegging I'm getting around 4.8v on the MAP signal wire with key on. If I plug that into a spare MAP I have it drops to 1.5ish. Plug back into the old MAP and goes back up to 4.8v...however if it sits long enough the old map will go back to 1.5v as well.

Seems like a heat related MAP failure, however early on in this adventure I tired a new MAP and the same spike/death issue happened. I've got my MAP mounted to the intake manifold brace so it's really not in an extreme heat location. I've triple checked the connector and terminals...everything is solid and tight.
Alan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #53
bobxyz
Board Member

Since it's cheap and easy, I'd mount the MAP sensor in the cabin, or at least on a fender, well away from the engine heat. The extra few feet of hose won't make any difference (pressure waves travel at the speed of sound).

Are you happy with the electrical noise / Vref measurements now, or do you have lingering concerns?
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM   #54
Alan29
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
Since it's cheap and easy, I'd mount the MAP sensor in the cabin, or at least on a fender, well away from the engine heat. The extra few feet of hose won't make any difference (pressure waves travel at the speed of sound).

Are you happy with the electrical noise / Vref measurements now, or do you have lingering concerns?
I'm a little concerned with the vref dropping a bit but I'm not sure if that's normal or not? I'm very happy with what I'm seeing as far as grounds being voltage free and the massive vref spikes gone. Kicking myself on those plugs.

It seems easy enough to move the map over to the area behind the left shock tower below the fuel filter. I guess I can just do something temporary over there to see what happens. It's just odd because when I got it to die sitting on my driveway the heat in that area wasn't bad at all. I can grab the manifold support it's bolted to and it's not super hot or anything....and with it idling with the hood up it's not getting hit under the hood.
Old Today, 02:21 PM   #55
Alan29
Board Member

Great success today. Temporarily mounted the replacement map I had to the master cylinder hard lines and took it for a spin. Didn't stall so decided to drive it about 20 mins down the road to run some errands. No stalling. Ran a few more errands with lots of driving in this heat and the car didn't miss a beat.

So this week I'll be rerouting my map wiring over to the driver strut brace area and mounting it with the vacuum port facing down off the brace.

I still don't understand why the car still had the issue with this same map (although it was mounted to the manifold brace like before) like eight months ago then be fine now mounted elsewhere.

So it appears this long road of troubleshooting has come to an end. Wish I had a definitive answer as to exactly what the problem is but I'll take this little win for now. Thank you all for the help.