• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

On the Toyota rear axle

dalek

Benchracer Tribe
I do remember people mentioning swapping a Toyota truck axle to the Volvo. But, howwoudl you do that for a 700/900? Specifically, what do you do with the speedo sending unit?

Dakota digital mechanical speedo driver. Use an ABS signal from the front wheels to drive it.

I don't think any of the Toyota housings had an electric speedo installed in them.

When doing the swap, have the machine shop quote the axle machining before the do it. They're a pain to machine.

Interesting you mention the ABS wheel; I have been thinking on changing the front wheel bearing in my car and thought about getting one with the ABS wheel just because I could then play with it later. Maybe that is an application for that. Then build something to adjust the pulse count. Time to stop being a lazy ass...

I did not realize they were so hard to machine. Old JohnV posts seemed to imply they were easier than the Ford ones.

IIRC, the toyota rear axle tubes didn't need to be shortened to fit in a 240...the lack of disc brakes would be the deal-killer in my book.

IIRC, the toyota rear axle tubes didn't need to be shortened to fit in a 240...the lack of disc brakes would be the deal-killer in my book.

Yeah the money/time you save on not shortening the axle tubes is spent on converting to disc brakes which isn't cheap. Stick with 8.8. Tons of shop can shorten the axle tube and it won't break your wallet.

Fitting disc brakes was pretty easy, it was just ~$600 for the Wilwood parts (all off the shelf calipers, rotors, hats)

The brackets are just 3/8" steel, and bolt to the axle flange bolts.

Basically it comes down to:
-Do you want a pickup truck axle?
or
-Do you want a pickup truck axle that's lighter, but costs more money to install.

What would I need to use Volvo rear wheels and disks and rotors with 8.8?

I want to say it was MH Yount(?) that cut the ends off the Volvo rear end and welded them to the 8.8 on his car. This way he kept the ebrake assembly as well as the rear brakes.

New axles would be needed for the Volvo wheel bearing and Ford 31 spline diff.

I want to say it was MH Yount(?) that cut the ends off the Volvo rear end and welded them to the 8.8 on his car. This way he kept the ebrake assembly as well as the rear brakes.

New axles would be needed for the Volvo wheel bearing and Ford 31 spline diff.

If I wanted to keep the volvo pattern and brakes this is the approach I would take. It is definitely the most direct route to keeping them.

Back