• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LPG your redblock?

I see you are in California, are doing a smog exempt car?

CARB won't approve LPG on sogg required carsi thought.
Don't bother me sinc call my red blocs are exempt.

I've thought about it tho.

Excellent octane! I've wondered about a hi po application. If it is practical. Some say the combustion products are nasty to engine parts.

Impco is a name I recall.

Man that is hard to read!

Beel

Im smog exempt in this car ;-) shhhh so that's not an issue.
If I were to do it, it would be a dual system.

Weird from what I been reading people say stuff like "Oil is really clean, engine gets no deposits, etc"

Most forklifts in plants are propane powered, burns clean. Had a propane rental car in S. Korea once, was ok, but not much power, I ended up trading it for a gasoline one, partly due to low power, but also because scarcity of stations that had propane.

yeah low power is an issue that's why I would want a dual system - you can switch them at a push of a button. Curising speeds etc is where i would run LPG.

Set up correctly, power loss should be minimal. And you can always modify the engine to take advantage of LPG's high octane rating. CR in the 10s with a turbo or in the 12s NA with a mild to moderate cam would be ideal. The burn rate is slow, so it's best below around 5000rpm. There are some really fast LPG powered race cars in Australia though.

From my brief time in the CNG world, Technocarb and Prins systems have been used interchangeably with LPG and CNG, the main difference being the regulator pressure adjustment and pressure from reg to tank. Regulator forward, though, its' 99% the same in the few systems I've worked on. These were dual-fuel systems, btw. Every dedicated vehicle I've worked on has been an Impco or GFI system.

I was considering CNG for my 244, but the weight and space constraints of the system are steering me toward waiting until I get a full-size truck or van that will handle the capacity and weight.

I put a b230fb in my '78 245dl and then I bought an lpg injection kit from Megapol. Runs perfect, no powerloss.

56758673.jpg

63014233.jpg

LPG conversions is a big part of what I do. The full group injector firing does create some slight issues and not all LPG systems will work with it.

The ignition system will need to be in tip top condition as LPg is a dry fuel. If you run LPG only the oil will stay almost as clean as the day it went in.

You do want to use a good quality multi point injection system

LPG conversions is a big part of what I do. The full group injector firing does create some slight issues and not all LPG systems will work with it.

The ignition system will need to be in tip top condition as LPg is a dry fuel. If you run LPG only the oil will stay almost as clean as the day it went in.

You do want to use a good quality multi point injection system

What sort of issues are caused by the batch firing of the injectors? I plan to convert my car to run on LPG as doing ?30 ($45) per 90-100 miles gets a bit expensive when boosting.

The problem is the minimum injector opening time. If you use the right ECU it has the ability to filter the pulses down to one pulse per power stroke rather than 2. That gives you good controllable idle and full fuel supply at the top end.

UK LPG works out at around half price of petrol

As a possible problem you may crash into the roof of lpg's burn rate. What's your max rpm?
Also, you need some big injectors because lpg contains less energy than petrol, so you need to be able to inject a ton of it in a short amount of time.

Where are you storing your LPG?

In a 45 liter tank in the spare tire compartment. Not too big but otherwise I would have to give up space in the booth and that makes the 245 much less practical. I have to refill every ~170 miles. You can only fill the tank to 80% of its capacity which means around 38 liters in my case. So I do about 4.5 miles/liter. With an aw71. And a heavy foot.

The 245 does not have much space for the fuel tank, the 244 or 242 will take a big 70ltr tank over the axle in the boot. The 7 and 900 series will take a 80ltr tank in the space for the spare wheel.

Size of the injectors vary with your power level and you want a little spare, if you do run out of flow the system will cut back to petrol under high load.

My S70 has 50L LPG tank in space for spare wheel, have AC STAG 300 premium, works wonderful, hard to notice any difference in power, trip computer reads real LPG comsumption just like on petrol...Great in every way. Injectors are 2.4mm in diameter, we started at 2mm then upped it to 2.4 mm cause of higher rpm power.

On turbo redbolcks with LH2.4 is a bit trickier to set it up, you ussually need faster injections, and around 2,8-3mm in diameter, then maps for petrol ang gas will be almost the same.

Back