home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #26
smokeyfan1000

The convoluted wire sheathing went on the larger hose & fit well. I am hoping it'll stand whatever heat it'll be subjected to. I'm going to kepp an eye on it after I get it on the road. I had some smaller for the smaller line, but it did not fit, was too small diameter.Have any of you tried using this here? If so what results did you have with it?

Pics below on it.

I left the hose exposed about 4 inches from the tank's sender unit & nipple pipes

Old 09-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #27
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 View Post
So using a 7/16" hose that is a tad smaller ID than the OEM Volvo hose's ID,, won't cause a fuel flow/starvation problem I presume?
Only if you need more than 1000 hp I imagine. You're over-thinking this. Just run 7/16" hose and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVAWRECK View Post
i think you guys ignore me sometimes cause i dont have a turbo or a black primered hood. I make cool engine noises with my mouth when i drive though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPiloto View Post
The best in-car (mouse)trap is a snake. If you use a rattlesnake, be sure to remove it before you drive the car.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
smokeyfan1000

I did. Turned out AOK. I even covered it with split,convoluted wire sheathing. See pics 2 posts above.above
Old 09-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #29
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

Thats a lot of work for a line I've not replaced many of.

Might as well replace that original main fuel pump with undercoating on it and put a porsche or 740T in-tank fuel pump in it "while you are at it" if one isn't out of money on the hose. Oh hell, clean the tank too and put a new or prefect used late sender assy on it too...hehe...

If the car is hot weather enough or has bad enough gas in it to kill that hose, that original main pump, in-tank pump and sender may not live a whole lot longer. Then again, I'm pretty cynical. I've changed a lot more pumps, senders and even tanks once in a great while than that hose I'd guess (okay, I've probably changed the hose if I went to the trouble to do a tank).

I do like your creation for the exhaust heat shield/pre-heat tube. I always hated those things, but keeping it in place sans the pre-heat is a solution I like a little better than s-canning it which I've done for years. I think your creation would keep a bit more exhaust heat off the alt+wiring a bit, off the motor mount area, off the a/c (on a late car anyway) and off the engine block paint slightly more. Then again, the cars I've s-canned it on have worn out alt voltage regs before alts or bearings, motor mounts about the same and such many years later without much difference that I can tell too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 09-30-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #30
smokeyfan1000

I think it'll help keep heat off, and also look stock enough as to not draw NC Inspectors attention I hope. Pretty cool here, but never know when you'll get the "by the book" guy.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #31
cleanflametrap
Board Member

Quote:
I think it'll help keep heat off, and also look stock enough as to not draw NC Inspectors attention I hope. Pretty cool here, but never know when you'll get the "by the book" guy.
I tell you, smokeyfan1000, your under car pictures are some of the best close quarters photography I've laid eyes on. You do nice work with the camera.
cleanflametrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #32
smokeyfan1000

I use a Kodak DX4530 Digital camera. nothing special. Sometimes I rush it & pics are blurry. But if I try a little, they come out well I think. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #33
Dakar09
The Blue Baastard

This is a great discussion. I found a little diddy of a website at International-Auto.com, they actually carry metric fuel hose. Ordered some 12mm hose for my tank to main pump line. May go with something from Jegs to cover the main pump to fuel filter run now, as the factory lines look pretty nasty right about now. I'm sure figuring out the fittings will be fun. Anybody run anything special between the main pump and engine?

btw...was thinking to myself how nice those undercar shots were before I saw cleanflametrap's commen. Wish I could take pics that nice from the top of the car, lol.

1958 Volvo PV444
1983 245 Turbo - The Project - Targa Newfoundland entry - Sold
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=225396
2002 BMW M5 - Sold
2011 F150 FX4 Screw with Ecoboost V6

Past bricks - '95 855 manual, '98 V70 T5 Manual, '04 V70R 6-speed, '10 XC60 T6
Dakar09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #34
lsdmt
Board Member

Had the original piping fail on me last week. Rubbed through right before it makes the big bend to head to the top of the tank. Funny story getting it towed away from the yearly inspection after passing. Anyway, couldn't find any piping at the first few stores I went to and then found some at Carquest.

So I went with some non-fuel-injected rated fuel hose that I got from carquest in 7/16 size and had it fail on me twice, both in less than 15 miles. The first time it was a pinhole right near the clamp. I cut off a couple inches and remounted it thinking it was a fluke. Today, it failed and made a big gash down the side right at the fuel pump fitting; I didn't hear it, but it looks like it was pretty violent from the way the hose split. I can get some pics of the piping when I get it off.

Has anybody found anything? Any update to this thread? I need to replace the line again and would like to drive more than 15 miles without having to worry about it.

edit: it is running an upgraded 255lph pump.
lsdmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #35
smokeyfan1000

Order it from Volvo is the best fix. It is still available. It's metric sized hose and nearly impossible to find "off the shelf" at Auto Parts stores. You'll either get hose a tad too small or to large.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #36
lsdmt
Board Member

there were two parts posted on first page. What is difference? I guess ill go oem
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #37
smokeyfan1000

Take my word for it. You'll be happier, have less problems, and will most likely have better quality hose that'll last longer if you just buy the OEM Volvo hoses. And aftermarket hose really isn't cheap in price anymore.

I was in a hurry so I did use aftermarket hose. And the small one does not fit well, & I'll most likely order a OEM hose for it.

Time I went all over 2 cities around looking for the right hose (that I never really did find), I could have bought the hose from Volvo & I would have come out cheaper just buying the OEM Volvo hoses. I spent $17.00 in gas. Word.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #38
lsdmt
Board Member

Why you shouldn't use non-fuel-injection specific fuel hose.

Also the local carquest does have 12mm replacement fuel line, even looks stock with the white clothe covering, but they want me to buy 5 meters of it for $90. Anybody interested in a few feet of it? I may have to get it just because I need it fixed quickly.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #39
MrBill
fige=500Dollar Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdmt View Post

edit: it is running an upgraded 255lph pump.
That's a big edit brospeh.

Non-injection hose is fine from the tank to the main pump because there's as much pressure there as in any carbureted application.
Using any in-tank walbro, you need to use injection hose. I use the silicone stuff from summit racing. I think it's like $60 for 20 feet or something and is good for 300psi.
1978 244dl - Down for paint/16vt
93 245 - Kaplhenke Shortened coilovers with adjustable Koni Reds, adjustable rear spring perches with revalved bilstein S-10 shocks. Turbo 2.5 motor in the works.
10 v50 - Unobtainium T5 R-Design AWD M66
MrBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #40
TrickMick
Broad Member

Quote:
Anyone?
I've tried various "possible replacements" and gave up..ordered the CORRECT FACTORY HOSE
from my "local-ish" dealer and had them drop it off on the next days parts delivery run...

Volvo number 1266500 co$t me about $17 USFRN..fit correctly and snugged up well using
the ABA hose clamps (I keep THEM in stick too)..ABA's have correct "rolled edges" and a
sturdy base...

*all* of the "other kinds / types" of hoses either were too tight or too lose... the Volvo stuff came
out of the bag and was "BABY BEAR *JUST RIGHT*....*some times* you can get the "real deal
German-Quality BRAIDED hose" from Winzer or your Wurth dealer but you have to order enough
to plumb a LOT of cars so (in the case of the pre-pump to main pump hose) I just go ahead and
bit the bullet and order from Volvo....
TrickMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #41
smokeyfan1000

Quote:
I've tried various "possible replacements" and gave up..ordered the CORRECT FACTORY HOSE
from my "local-ish" dealer and had them drop it off on the next days parts delivery run...
+ 100,000. Which is same thing I told the poster that resurrected this old thread of mine. By the time one runs all over town trying to find the correct hose, which you most likely will not, short of a miracle. You can come out just as cheap ordering it from Dealership, or from the Tasca Volvo online who has great prices on all Volvo parts.

The hose should still be available from Volvo.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #42
lsdmt
Board Member

FYI

Part # 917420 from Tasca is not the part you want for this application. I ordered it and it has an ID of 7mm; this fuel line almost fits inside the fuel line that should be used.

I ended up having to go to the junkyard and stealing the line off another 240.

update edit: fuel line taken from dump lasted about 30 miles before I smelled fuel and noticed another leak. I just ordered the summit racing stuff and hope this will work out.

Last edited by lsdmt; 05-27-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Old 09-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #43
SLO240
Awesome Sauce

Bump from the past, but this thread has been my goto for the annoying fuel hose so I wanted to add my two cents. Couple years ago the in tank pump went out so I replaced it with a walbro 255 because racecar. The added fuel pressure ended up blowing a hole in the original fuel line so I got some 12mm line manufactured in germany. It dry rotted and started leaking after about a year, looking like this.

I did not want steel braided line so I got 6'-0" of -8 nylon braided line from summit, part number SUM-240806B. Summit lists the inner diameter at 0.44". Supposedly safe for all fuel types and good for 300psi. The wall thickness of the hose is thinner than the original hose and the 12mm hose. Threw some heat shrink on the ends to stop the fraying and where it passes through the chassis for a little wear protection. Cut off the end and cut it in half with a cut off wheel. Fit on the fuel sender and fuel pump was snug without being too tight or to loose. No fuel leaks so far after a week of driving.

Buyer/seller feedback. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...67#post4602067
SLO240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:44 AM   #44
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

I found the 12mm hose online for the feed. It's SAE J30R7 rated. This is safe for fuel injection I believe (tank pump is low pressure).
https://www.belmetric.com/rhm12-flen...5&cPath=14_662

And then of course 5/16" for the return. I went with advanced autos SAE R9 hose...$21 for 3 feet but hopefully I won't have to worry about it for a bit.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #45
TheMenaceSD
Board Member

I have just stumbled upon this thread. I was working on my 1990 240 DL and the hard nylon line on the inlet side of the fuel rail just broke in half. I would like to replace the whole line with something a little brittle as when I remove my intake manifold the line wants to crimp. I have tried to look for the factory replacement but have not had any luck. Would I be able to use

https://www.belmetric.com/rhm12-flen...5&cPath=14_662

or

Aeroquip AQP Socketless Hose FCV0810

as a replacement.?
TheMenaceSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:09 PM   #46
2manyturbos

PM sent.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote