home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #26
hk 40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
I bought mine at 142k, gave it synthetic oil changes, never changed the timing belt, and it lost compression at 152k. Dunno if that was related to something in its past but during the autopsy I found that, at some point, all the intake valves had made love with the pistons. Also the head was all cracked between the valve seats, which is to be expected with them. It had about 180psi in the first three cylinders and I didn't bother testing the rest. (Valves weren't leaking)

But anyway, turbo d24s are cool and I'm kinda sad I didn't get to turbo mine like I had planned to. There's like one guy on here who has actually tuned a turbo d24, I wanna say centason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post
Yes some have uptuned the D24T via increasing boost levels, tuning the injection pump or swapping in a 12mm IP, GTD injectors, installing the earlier D24 head which has larger prechambers, thinner head gasket, larger exhaust, porting/polishing the head, early intake manifold, adding IC, etc. Also, Propane and water/methanol injection.
Thank you both for not falling for my big fat lie and responding accordingly and on topic here.

Godspeed...I'd love to talk here about it but I do not have the energy to volley with certain people on this board over nothing. One look here at even this discussionin OT and you realize this board is basically beyond gone with true continuous nonsense.

It is truly not appealing and easy to lose interest with. I definitely cannot subscribe to it. The board is ruined if we are allowed and can manage to drive Swedish tuners away and require time slips to answer questions about turbo diesels. Absolutely insane. The unsolicited nonsense is quite obvious to me. I wont participate in that because I came here to share and receive information about Volvos not participate in what seems to have become a social site where pure nonsense is deemed entertaining and facilitated by brass and members with tenures as long as mine. They should have matured past this type of childish conduct by now.

Hubert
hk 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:47 PM   #27
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk 40 View Post
They should have matured past this type of childish conduct by now.
You expect too much.

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Will you do $14.99 shipped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
please no more prying things with screwdrivers and bashing things with hammers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
my balls have more wrinkles than my brain
--------------------------------------------

-1967 144S
-1983 245 Diesel
fatcatbestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #28
hk 40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatbestcat View Post
You expect too much.
Well my boy unfortunately I think you are correct. If you are just here 2 years Ive been here 18 and I apologize the board has become this way. Some moderators have passed and I dont think some care anymore as its draining to continue babysitting every post for most. I promise you on my part I will to continue to leave such nonsense dead in its track. Ray Charles can see the obvious attempts at the baiting anyway. No one is this slow...

Goodnight
Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 07-01-2021 at 09:08 PM..
Old 07-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #29
tintintin
Board Member

May I suggest we keep the on-track:off-track ratio somewhere around a reasonable 75%:25%?
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #30
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

I find it hard to believe this forum has changed significantly since the early 00s, and I dearly hope it doesn't change in the future.

Goodnight hubert.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #31
2manyturbos

Quote:
Well my boy unfortunately I think you are correct. If you are just here 2 years Ive been here 18 and I apologize the board has become this way. Some moderators have passed and I dont think some care anymore as its draining to continue babysitting every post for most. I promise you on my part I will to continue to leave such nonsense dead in its track.

Goodnight
Hubert

Your behavior on here has caused us moderators to have to “babysit” you in every thread you take part in. Either become part of the solution or I can guarantee you with 100% certainty the problem will be removed permanently.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #32
hk 40
Banned

U do what you have to because I have a right to voice my opinion like everyone else has here. Im no where in OT in 90 5 percent of the discussion here where people conduct has been 1000 times worse. In 18 years very little babysitting has been required because of me. And not one moderator has addressed as much as you behind your friends in Oregon
u let break the rules here daily.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #33
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
That's exactly what you said. Quoted so you can't edit your post and change the message. What you said and what you meant may be two different things.
ehh that's a stretch.. yes you could read the title of the thread and the op and think that he was talking about owning an 81 240 turbo diesel, but then he specifically called out "has anyone tuned a turbo version" which implies theirs was not, and had anyone tweaked a turbo version.

Listen... I am hardly the voice of reason when it comes to giving folks poop for entertainment... so this ain't no lecture here, but come on.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:46 PM   #34
doucheNozzle

Quote:
U do what you have to because I have a right to voice my opinion like everyone else has here. Im no where in OT in 90 5 percent of the discussion here where people conduct has been 1000 times worse. In 18 years very little babysitting has been required because of me. And not one moderator has addressed as much as you behind your friends in Oregon
I've realized the you think everyone else is the idiot and wrong in your life.
Do you ever wonder what the common link is?

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:39 PM   #35
2manyturbos

Quote:
I will do what I have to do to put an end to the drama that circulates around every thread I see you posting in. If you can’t grasp that concept, perhaps ask another moderator to explain it to you. You have been back 3 days and you are already back to the same behavior that resulted in the last 3 bans.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:04 PM   #36
totallynotwood1

Quote:
Well my boy unfortunately I think you are correct. If you are just here 2 years Ive been here 18 and I apologize the board has become this way. Some moderators have passed and I dont think some care anymore as its draining to continue babysitting every post for most. I promise you on my part I will to continue to leave such nonsense dead in its track. Ray Charles can see the obvious attempts at the baiting anyway. No one is this slow...

Goodnight
Hubert
Haven't you only been here since 2011?

Confused
TNW1

Last edited by totallynotwood1; 07-01-2021 at 11:15 PM..
totallynotwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:25 PM   #37
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallynotwood1 View Post
Haven't you only been here since 2011?

Confused
TNW1
he had another username that was created further back. some folks change names, lose accounts (or have multiple accounts for... I dunno why, won't even speculate), etc. Also, there have been a couple "great board resets" over the years for one reason or another, and some folks' join dates got mixed up.

listen the man's not wrong.. we need a bit of a re-focus here, folks aren't doing anything really fun these days it seems, maybe a handful of people are pushing any kind of boundaries, we need to mix it back up a bit. What's it gonna take? do we need a buy-in for the EvW, and then have a payout for fastest ET's in each category (nothing significant, but I suppose much like real events that depends on attendance), maybe something else fun to go with it, whatever... but this sitting around doing nothing is getting old. I realize I'm guilty of it myself, but still.. lets move forward. When's the last time anyone hit the track or did anything cool on the rollers? (don't bring mine up, that was almost a year ago, doesn't count anymore). I get it, everyone's bored, here's a button to push for some momentary entertainment, but be honest with yourselves... y'all ain't doing anything all that interesting right now. I know I'm mired down in work, all of my toys are sitting collecting dust or worse currently, so I'm calling myself out at the same time. Come on. We can do better and still have fun at the same time.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:29 PM   #38
hk 40
Banned

Quote:
May I suggest we keep the on-track:off-track ratio somewhere around a reasonable 75%:25%?
A Great suggestion.

And again goodnight.

Edit

@ Linux There hasn't been a single technical debate in this thread that constitutes a single pissing match. A link to a post that support the pissing match idea does not exist in this thread. Dragging drama from one thread to the next isn't my work here. Look at all the time wasted here there no discussion about a turbo diesel anymore its about Hubert....who I already know much better than anyone here. Hopefully we can agree on at least that. I think we've illustrated in our own right whats possible with respect both ways.

Toomanyturbos,
You want my head on a platter and ull get get it because u know I cannot let your friends talk to me like a dog and say nothing forever so if that gonna be your game I cannot stop you bruh. I wont drop my head for them on things I feel I can defend with a purely technical debate. I know i have great things to offer this board and deserve a little more respect from your friends than they are given and not just to me. Are you not aware than many consider their +300 badge and use it as exactly some long piss. Mikep talked to me and said dont call people names or condescend and that has not happened once in these most recent threads or for years previous. But that doesn't change the fact that they and even the mods make condescending comments. You told one guy he needed to go back and do his homework over his assertion about atomization and TB placement. Thats pretty condescending my friend but If I do it to your homies its wrong. Why is that? It certainly doesn't seem too democratic with just you threatening me at every word your gonna ban me but Im not breaking any rules unless defending my own actions is doing so. Can we take an honest poll on reading just this thread that i have called someone a name or condescended in any way ? Where is the pissing match that I instituted here? I haven't asked a single person for time slip or them to show me a car they run at the track to ask a question about a car.

Hubert

Last edited by hk 40; 07-01-2021 at 11:59 PM..
Old 07-01-2021, 11:30 PM   #39
2manyturbos

Kenny, I agree with you. I would like to see discussions, not pissing matches. It’s that simple.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:39 PM   #40
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Kenny, I agree with you. I would like to see discussions, not pissing matches. It’s that simple.
sure, but again..and I'm hardly the voice of reason here (and there's a reason why I'm not a mod-and I like it like that), if you caught **** every time you turned around, you'd give everyone **** too, or at least you'd try (or, you know, maybe you'd leave). Regardless, what started as a back and forth in a thread about ignition power has continued to follow several parties around for a month. Yall all talk trash about the facebook group, but here we go on the forum.. that's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to win any favors here, a little introspection now and then doesn't hurt.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:53 AM   #41
Bready
board deviant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
I remember when I first joined turbobricks. But what I did was read all the threads, every single one. I didn't start asking dumb questions and then act like I was gods gift to gab writing even though I can type 120 words a minute. Anyway volvo never made a 240 turbo diesel from the factory. So your first post in this thread about you bought a new one in 81 just verifies you are full of it................

I could type a lot more, but post a video or time slip of how quick fast your turbo volvo is to make me believe. I wanna believe.. Until then here is my 15g junkyard volvo doing 12.8... Back in 2010 before I exploded the flywheel trying to go faster and faster and quicker, not tying to convince everybody on the internut of anything.

Haters gonna hate. Why can't I hate back? I hate non buttlevers.
Those vids were awesome Babbs
Quote:
A society that treats this much Black death at the hands of the state as collateral damage in a just war on crime has no decorum to project. That society is savage. - Charles M. Blow
Kalazdar - (3/23/83 to 5/12/03)
MUST READ!!! https://cleantechnica.com/2017/04/24...-adds-screwed/
Bready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:25 AM   #42
Toybox
mostly lurking

Quote:
Can we take an honest poll on reading just this thread that i have called someone a name or condescended in any way? Where is the pissing match that I instituted here?
Well, only since you asked...

Good grief, seriously? You don't see any culpability? OK, let's watch one scenario unfold:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
he actually converted a b230f to run on diesel and posted it here years back and was basically run off the forum.
And what did the AMERICAN turbobricks way do to run a swede tuner off a volvo forum.
Up until here, you posed a very valid question. I wondered about it, myself.

There are many possible answers -- it could become rather enlightening to see them, process them, and perhaps even assess biases either known or hidden.

HOWEVER... after posing that question, you couldn't resist adding attitude, attitude, and more attitude:

Quote:
Was it because they couldn't accept his facts that differ from the said experts on this board that have continually said things made by volvo engineers sucks?

Thats no surprise to me that he'd be run off instead of being included and protected from trolls being the foreign guest here. I find it an awful way to treat a Swedish visitor while being the said experts of post facto design of Swedish sht...
You really didn't need to add all that that. Your question would have been significantly more powerful if you had let it speak for itself.

-=-=-

I offer the above partly because it hits home. One of the lessons I've had to learn (and sometimes still am) is that presentation (attitude) can get in the way of discussion (content). Put another way, people may not remember your words but they sure as heck understand a tone of voice. When a person gets animated, it can be difficult for bystanders to tell the difference between excitement and anger and lots of other things. Ever hear someone pounding the table and yelling about something? As justified as he/she may be in their outrage, does it make you want to go over and introduce yourself, make a new friend? For most people, it makes them want to get away from the perceived nutcase.

This is what I see in your posts, again and again. The attitude takes the spotlight. It's honestly difficult to stay tuned long enough to figure out if there are gems hiding in the shadows.

It's kind of sad, really. I shall choose to thank you for the wake up call.
Toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:42 AM   #43
OttoB
Board Member

Quote:
Well you have the modern d5 that isnt produced by vw is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_D5_engine

Showing static at 18 to 1
No , D5 (four valve) is white block based engine, this is designed by Volvo.

And then there is TDI (two valve) engine, used in 850. Designed by Audi.
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #44
tintintin
Board Member

Here's a good one to watch to chill out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnZUSvpF61k

Kind of a hard start with everything covered in snow.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #45
hk 40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoB View Post
No , D5 (four valve) is white block based engine, this is designed by Volvo.

And then there is TDI (two valve) engine, used in 850. Designed by Audi.
Quote:
Here's a good one to watch to chill out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnZUSvpF61k

Kind of a hard start with everything covered in snow.
Thanks for this Im continuing to follow the links.

For your pleasure

This is me and my nephew with the 77 242 in the late 70

And here is my nephew a few years later with the Diesel in 81.

The one owner 77 is with me at my house. The diesel was traded for our first 740 which wasn't much difference than my son has now. I've owned 3 740's so far. The last one I had was black with red leather seats I sold it to Steven Grantham in Raleigh NC working at chilis in briar creek. I totaled my 98 v70 so what I hold now is the 07 AWD s80 v8 a 99 t6 the 242 the 740 and 83 245tic. I dont need to lie about what we or I have owned. Its just that simple. You can see how well prepared id be to look at internals then....the photos were taken with a polaroid ....

SMH....
Hubert
Old 07-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #46
2manyturbos

That's cool you still have the 77 242 from your childhood. I still have the 69 F100 4X4 my dad bought in 1970 and I learned to drive in.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #47
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

745 TurboGreasel daily drives the 700 turbo diesels and runs veggie oil that he processes himself.

He's not on much anymore, and as stated the D24 forum is the place to go for those cars.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Last edited by Redwood Chair; 07-02-2021 at 04:26 PM..
Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #48
JohnMc
PV Abuser

www.d24t.com
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #49
VB242
Beep beep zip tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
he had another username that was created further back. some folks change names, lose accounts (or have multiple accounts for... I dunno why, won't even speculate), etc. Also, there have been a couple "great board resets" over the years for one reason or another, and some folks' join dates got mixed up.

listen the man's not wrong.. we need a bit of a re-focus here, folks aren't doing anything really fun these days it seems, maybe a handful of people are pushing any kind of boundaries, we need to mix it back up a bit. What's it gonna take? do we need a buy-in for the EvW, and then have a payout for fastest ET's in each category (nothing significant, but I suppose much like real events that depends on attendance), maybe something else fun to go with it, whatever... but this sitting around doing nothing is getting old. I realize I'm guilty of it myself, but still.. lets move forward. When's the last time anyone hit the track or did anything cool on the rollers? (don't bring mine up, that was almost a year ago, doesn't count anymore). I get it, everyone's bored, here's a button to push for some momentary entertainment, but be honest with yourselves... y'all ain't doing anything all that interesting right now. I know I'm mired down in work, all of my toys are sitting collecting dust or worse currently, so I'm calling myself out at the same time. Come on. We can do better and still have fun at the same time.
Speak for yourself, I'm signed up for 2 autocross clubs. I also have recently acquired all the pieces for a TR3650 swap using the BNE adaptor plate, I don't think this has been done in a 240
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #50
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Speak for yourself, I'm signed up for 2 autocross clubs. I also have recently acquired all the pieces for a TR3650 swap using the BNE adaptor plate, I don't think this has been done in a 240
you've done nothing to change my opinion thus far. auto-x is cool, don't take that the wrong way, but in terms of advancing the forum, a moderately different transmission swap from the normal t5 is not all that earth shattering.

that being said, I am curious how that works out for you, because I have a mostly hate relationship with the t5 in my 242 (and the clutch setup as well)