• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Any Volvo speed shops near Vancouver Canada

Matilda Car

Hey, if I am in the wrong section then sorry about that. Looking to rebuild my engine with an eye to upgrade. Anybody know of a good speed shop/ mechanic near Vancouver Canada who can handle a performance car? B230ft and I am looking to build it up with fresh parts, rebored maybe, I just don’t have the time or space to take this on these days.

As soon as I mention Turboconversion they run for the hills??? ......but we don’t know the torque specs etc......blah,blah

Thanks

Last edited:
Should mention it is an older Volvo that scares them off, clean instillation just need a refresh plus. All good as I *think* I have somebody lined up but he is super busy - he is interested though so that is a plus, he has not worked on these cars so I would have to provide more info (and so my time) than I was hoping for. Will see how it goes as I got him lined up for a dual pass aluminum rad with tranny cooler delete (just going with my overly large aux tranny cooler) and finally removing the cooling hard lines. Installing an aem meth/water kit at the same time.

Let me know if anybody has a line on somebody else.
Cheers

Last edited:
Looks like I am good to go, just a matter of being patient and timing because he is super busy. High quality work and does a lot of custom stuff. Not mentioning the name of the shop because he has enough business. He did my stainless exhaust after I had been screwed around by every decent shop in town —— exhaust he did in 5 hrs; 3 hrs less than I had been quoted anywhere else; amazing welds, quality dude. Worth the effort to find him.

I should mention a few shops for maintenance in the Vancouver area; lots have closed down which is too bad. Also I have had some bad experiences in a couple of shops as well, mentioned below.

The Good;

Scandia in Maple ridge - good people; honest old school Volvo mechanic; lots of used parts; does rebuilds and such; not into performance upgrades

Mark’s Import Auto in Burnaby; used to working on older cars; honest and meticulous

Werners Auto Klinik in Delta; German mechanic and used to working on older cars, meticulous and honest no nonsense guy. Too far for me to go really but good shop. He also races cars so not scared off by conversion vehicles.

Speed Syndicate in Burnaby - top notch stuff but don’t really work on Volvo’s, gave me a couple of idea’s for other shops that didn’t pan out but I appreciated it. They also have done some amazing things with a friends car.

IWE in Burnaby; only do rear ends - specialty shop that put my 4:10’s in from a donor car. Top notch

The Bad

Ed Schram Motors in Surrey - I went there to get a second opinion on something and when I returned Ed’s son tells me that “ I probably shouldn’t tell you this but I decided to see how much power your car has, I stomped on it and hit 15 psi off the light going down King George!!” �� just about punched the guy right there, who the f#$& does that and then brags about it.

Adria Imports in Vancouver - Mark’s an honest enough guy but can’t keep track of the work his guys are doing and then argues with you when they mess up. Loves to put cheap parts in so you have to come back a thousand times. Most dangerous courtesy cars ever. My wife used to take her S70 there way back but nothing has changed since.

Evolution Auto in Maple ridge - tried to scam me on pricing on custom exhaust work and within 5 minutes I was surrounded by 3 fast talking guys trying to convince me to let them drill into my block to install some sort of thermostat and spend $1300 to rebuild a 13c turbo (now have a 15g) Say what now? and why rebuild a 13c? $1300?? Get outta here!

RG Racing in Port Coquitlam - needed a custom rad and a SS exhaust done a couple of years ago, looking to spend some $$$. Notice a trend here?? I left a rad there so they could measure it up and a week they couldn’t even give me a quote. Guess they don’t want any business, then why have me leave my rad there?

MDA Fabrication on Annacis Island in Delta - went there for a custom rad and exhaust work; higher quote than I would have liked and then had every excuse as to why parts weren’t in to the point of ridiculousness. So they kept forgetting to put an electric fan in a shipment 3x? I must look like a chump or something.

Last edited:
Check out the Vancity lolvo thread in showroom. That's where all the Vancouver/lower mainland people hang out.

Glad you found someone.

Jordan

Check out the Vancity lolvo thread in showroom. That's where all the Vancouver/lower mainland people hang out.

Glad you found someone.

Jordan

Thanks it took some effort to find somebody I just have to wait and be more involved than I had wanted, no big deal. I think Vancity T used to meet up at Market Crossing down on marine or something. How?s the Edmonton scene? You have problems finding decent shops as well?

Thanks it took some effort to find somebody I just have to wait and be more involved than I had wanted, no big deal. I think Vancity T used to meet up at Market Crossing down on marine or something. How?s the Edmonton scene? You have problems finding decent shops as well?

We have a pretty good Volvo scene. A few good shops. A machine shop that has quite a bit of experience building race engines (we have a road track and drag strip and another road track being built).

I do all my own work though since I've been dicking with 240s since '99 and working at Volvo since 2006.

I spent a large portion of my life on the north shore of Vancouver, my family is still down in the area.

Jordan

We have a pretty good Volvo scene. A few good shops. A machine shop that has quite a bit of experience building race engines (we have a road track and drag strip and another road track being built).

I do all my own work though since I've been dicking with 240s since '99 and working at Volvo since 2006.

I spent a large portion of my life on the north shore of Vancouver, my family is still down in the area.

Jordan

A good machine shop is key! I do as much as I can on this car and still learning something new each time. It can be very rewarding figuring it out yourself. Thanks for the Vancity turbo tip, I will have to introduce myself

Back