home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #3026
PeaceEngineered
Sarcastic Optimist

Honing plate and heat up the block? How inert is that filler? I just wonder if it alters the expandability of the iron any. Enjoy reading your projects. Crazy stuff!
Sold- 2006 V70R
PeaceEngineered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #3027
quillc
yv1a.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
What?

There was a previous thread were it was endlessly debated as to the efficacy and need of using torque plates when honing a motor.

Personally, when boring a motor I use torque plates when honing to final size - iron block or not. If you are just cleaning up with a dingle ball hone it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #3028
fjing60
Board Member

Update?

1984 244 flat hood. Sold 😞

1982 242 turbo YAY 😎
fjing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #3029
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjing60 View Post
Update?
I saw it. We drew boobs in the dust.

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'04 V70 T5A - Feels Fast
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #3030
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

indeed. I have been working on other folks stuff and haven't made progress on either of my cars as a result (along the lines of, if I don't have time to work on their stuff how can I have time to work on my stuff). hope still springs eternal for a return this year, but we'll see. Getting lifts in the shop (and the two other cars done and out) will go a long way to getting things moving again.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #3031
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

ok, facebook land already knows this, but the car was pulled out for a rinse down (and mainly to get it out of the way for shop re-org and lift installation). It was subsequently backed into by the F150 (by me. oops), but aside from the driver's rear door taking an ass beating, it's not much worse for the wear. It's had a number of setbacks over the years.. tool box fell over onto it. Hard to get too upset about it though, I've long had a hate/love/hate relationship with this car. Reckon that's what happens when you get in a rush and buy the first ****box roller you come across, but that decision was made a long time ago, and it's replacement is still a ways off from being ready yet.

anyway, this post is not about the long awaited return of the stroker beast, but a conversation the other day got the gears turning and I will likely throw together spare parts (and maybe a few choice new ones) to get it back to the track again. I will be playing with suspension this time to try and work all that out since the replacement chassis is also of 7/9 origin, and I'll have a bit of freedom to use and abuse the ol 90' along the way to hopefully cut down on..well cutting down on the other one.

I was going to just toss a turbo manifold on one of the spare engines laying around, but sam talked me out of that (took about 10 seconds all told), given my stack of spare 16v stuff. so... probably a set of used hbeams that donnie never picked up, some careful fly cutting of the NA pistons, and then the more familiar ancillaries (as well as the bulk of the new fuel system since I sold my old injectors, and the 044's have been shelved long enough to be a concern, but maybe not.. I'll backyard flow test them and see what I get).

so yeah. wheeeeeee and all that.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #3032
celicaxx
Board Member

This car still exists? Pics for verification please
Old 09-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #3033
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
This car still exists? Pics for verification please
it's about as photogenic as your blue 245 ;)
Old 09-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #3034
haltechsupra
Board Member

Greatness.
haltechsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #3035
MikeSr.
What, me worry?

I have a mild steel exhaust flange if you need it
Old 10-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #3036
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

cleared out the other corner and moved the lift (finally)

dug through the photos I got off the phone so I can locate the deeper pads (20 feet in, and about a foot outside the roll up door frame). got a fair bit of the shop cleaned up and put up now (though, there's still a wad of **** in the middle area. will get that this weekend probably, along with installing the 2 post), so much space for activities! (I've thrown away a fair amount of stuff, and will have a truckload of crap to take to the garbage pickup this weekend). may see if I can dig up a used floor buffer/cleaner to keep it nice. may not, who knows.

and because darkspeed was crying...

pic taken before I smoked the rear door with the pickup truck. (also visible in the background: nuc hive and a swarm in a hive along the fence, and my grossly overgrown raised bed that will be removed this winter and.. I'll plant blueberries or something there and move the garden, and try again :sigh: )
Old 10-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #3037
Texas240
Prius Owner

same car lift as mine but in black. Super easy install. Double check the wiring for the circuit that is wired to the height sensor. Mine was wired backwards.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #3038
justjim
Board Member

Holy crap, youve been busy. Can i come help?
justjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #3039
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

parts cannon has been fired (though not quite everything is on order yet. some small snags, and a couple other odds and ends yet to sort out).

as part of this deal, I'm replacing the now ~ 10 year old fuel lines with something that's actually rated for use with ethanol (not really a whole lot more than replacing the lines in general, mainly just the new fittings), and ordered up 8 210lb injectors (ouch-ish). Death by a thousand cuts @ fcp (seals and gaskets and what not) and ****, I didn't order a new tensioner yet.

lift is almost finished in the shop, hoping that this evening I can get the bulk of that done, the bulk of the shop re-org done, and maybe even push the gold car back there and up on the lift to size things up and kill all the wasp nests/black widows/etc that have surely taken up residence.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #3040
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

oh yeah, and a set of cams from yoshifab because why not. have springs/retainers, head gasket, and fuel pumps left on the list (10 year old abused 044's... I dunno on those guys. I'm sure I have two working ones if not three, but... it'd be a lot of work and a real bitch to blow it up because a pump I was too cheap to replace ate ****).. I think I'm going to try and put either 2x 450's in the tank, or maybe 2x of the hellcat pumps if the mood strikes.

starting to get a little excited about it.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #3041
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
parts cannon has been fired (though not quite everything is on order yet. some small snags, and a couple other odds and ends yet to sort out).

as part of this deal, I'm replacing the now ~ 10 year old fuel lines with something that's actually rated for use with ethanol (not really a whole lot more than replacing the lines in general, mainly just the new fittings), and ordered up 8 210lb injectors (ouch-ish). Death by a thousand cuts @ fcp (seals and gaskets and what not) and ****, I didn't order a new tensioner yet.

lift is almost finished in the shop, hoping that this evening I can get the bulk of that done, the bulk of the shop re-org done, and maybe even push the gold car back there and up on the lift to size things up and kill all the wasp nests/black widows/etc that have surely taken up residence.
Are you running 8 injectors?
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #3042
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

eventually maybe. the 1600's were not liking life just on boost alone, if one set will get the job done I may part with the other 4, but it'll be a while before that's a known thing.

things that might help mitigate that: direct port nitrous instead of the current single nozzle. things that will likely hasten the upgrade to 8: bigger turbo (thinking something in the 78-80mm range)

springs/retainers/hg ordered. I think that just leaves the fuel pumps and a decision to make regarding the pumps. I'da ordered the other stuff yesterday but all of the ecommerce sites in question were having issues. One of em was still spazzing out this morning, fortunately summit carries the same **** at the same price.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #3043
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Quote:
fuel pumps left on the list (10 year old abused 044's... I dunno on those guys. I'm sure I have two working ones if not three, but... it'd be a lot of work and a real bitch to blow it up because a pump I was too cheap to replace ate ****).. I think I'm going to try and put either 2x 450's in the tank, or maybe 2x of the hellcat pumps if the mood strikes.
starting to get a little excited about it.
I was looking at those pumps with the brushless motors, I think they also do PWM so the pump comes up with boost.
I think this is one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-146
Combined with an Enderle belt driven .5 pump (since I already have 2 of those in the junk pile).

Or a single pump like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrf-mp-4703

I'm thinking a pressure sensor also as a safety so the MS can turn down the motor if the pressure falls off.

We found a bad rod in the first motor, right off the line, so lucky it did not happen at the big end!

Took a big hit there, that was a motorsports block with the good main caps, roller bearings for the .900" lift cam, and the lifter bores were bushed.
Still don't know if we can save the crank.

Last edited by Dirty Rick; 10-10-2019 at 12:11 PM..
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #3044
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
I was looking at those pumps with the brushless motors, I think they also do PWM so the pump comes up with boost.
I think this is one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-146
Combined with an Enderle belt driven .5 pump (since I already have 2 of those in the junk pile).

Or a single pump like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrf-mp-4703

I'm thinking a pressure sensor also as a safety so the MS can turn down the motor if the pressure falls off.

We found a bad rod in the first motor, right off the line, so lucky it did not happen at the big end!

Took a big hit there, that was a motorsports block with the good main caps, roller bearings for the .900" lift cam, and the lifter bores were bushed.
Still don't know if we can save the crank.
yeah I had fuel pressure tied in to ms earlier in the car's life, but the sensor shorted internally and knocked out all the 5v stuff. I never got around to replacing it.
this time around I think I'll kick the second pump on with the ms at like 5psi or something instead of running both simultaneously all the time as I did before.

I'll probably go fuel cell in the wagon with some kind of gee whiz sender setup, but the gold car will get a modified stock hat and depending on functionality, I may just forego the fuel level sender (or find something else that'll give me a rough idea of what's going on.. not sure it worked anyway, in fact I don't think any of the gauges on the dash worked aside from maybe the speedo, but I'll play with it). Never really looked at em anyway, all the info I need is in the logs. perhaps a bright red "OH ****" light to let me know something has gone wrong
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #3045
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

parts are starting to arrive. apparently one of the vendors sent my **** to an address I haven't lived at in over a decade. not sure how that passed the billing dept, but fortunately the people living there now let my folks know (it's one of their rental houses). I may still drop a nastygram off at the vendor's site, as I'm fairly certain I did not put that information in this time around, and AM certain my billing info is totally wrong.

(foolishly) thought I could get mark's 2j car to a point where I can finish tuning it and send it home... that was of course foolish on my part. replaced the in-tank pump (And during re-installation am now considering other options and reasons why it might be acting the way it does, will see), and attempted to re-seat a pin on one of the injector clips that I'd noticed had popped out when I was moving the car around. turns out several clips have... uh.. suspect.. wiring, so I'm just going to re-terminate all 6. Don't buy cheap pigtails kids (I didn't. Of course, at this point, I'm not sure price dictates quality, because I can see the same **** on amazon ranging from $8 all the way to $60, and the GM coil pigtails I bought for the blue car a few years ago were not particularly cheap either... and they were hot garbage as well). I did not buy these pigtails, so I cannot comment on their origin.
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #3046
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Don't buy cheap pigtails kids (I didn't. Of course, at this point, I'm not sure price dictates quality, because I can see the same **** on amazon ranging from $8 all the way to $60, and the GM coil pigtails I bought for the blue car a few years ago were not particularly cheap either... and they were hot garbage as well). I did not buy these pigtails, so I cannot comment on their origin.
Some of the amazon connector sets are total garbage, especially for the price.

I stumbled upon the connector kits that Prowire USA sells, it's all I use now. Bonus for cool printed heatshrink: https://www.prowireusa.com/p-2339-bo...deg-boots.aspx

More connector kits that are useful: https://www.prowireusa.com/c-84-misc...ctor-kits.aspx

Last edited by culberro; Yesterday at 01:45 PM..
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #3047
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

that's nice. adding that to my stash of bookmarks
Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM   #3048
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

I also found this for reasonable money if you want moar specifics: https://www.corsa-technic.com/catego...em_id=628#jump

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #3049
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I was gently tugging on my Goldbox wiring loom, pulling an injector wire off. GENTLY, srsly, and almost incidentally put a tiny bit of pull on the wires and they popped right on out. Had to un pin it, pry the little clamps open, reclamp, repin it. Minor aggravation, but now it makes me wonder about all the other connectors on the wiring loom. And the way the IAT stubbornly says 70 degrees no matter what (it does change if unplugged?)
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141

Last edited by JohnMc; Yesterday at 01:58 PM..
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #3050
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Yep, you have an iffy connection there.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote