• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

There's a hole in my head....

PetesDustyVolvo

one car, two bicycles
Well that sucks!

dscf1953ly7.jpg

Pretty demoralizing... wish I had noticed that at the junkyard

Well I got the head for $80... and ironically everything from that junkyard gets a free warranty. So I'll be visiting them once a week for a month with my fingers crossed

I sent one in for guides pressed in and surfaces, and i think they charged less than $20 for welding up an eroded coolant passage, in fact, they may not have charged me at all.

I sent one in for guides pressed in and surfaces, and i think they charged less than $20 for welding up an eroded coolant passage, in fact, they may not have charged me at all.

yeah that maybe, but if i were to weld were the damage is on this head, i would preheat the whole thing and gouge the area out well. dont want it cracking or poor penitration. this is an important spot.

Theres a good machine shop I know that fixes eroded volvo heads for us. Its up in fountain valley though, so I dont know if it is worth driving up for. He wouldn't charge much and he could check the head out for a valve job too.

Thanks I will keep that in mind... It is a long way to drive though. He wanted $85 to skim the head and I thought that was way too much.

We actually have a machine shop at my work. I need to talk to some people... its totally not allowed but maybe a case of beer would do the trick haha

$100 for 20 to 30 minutes of work???

a real machine shop should charge half of that and then surfacing should be in the $40 range

ok glade he got it done localy. sorry to offer my services. i figured it was fair for shipping it back, gouging out the bad spot, preheating it, careful welding, and sending it back. 100 didnt seem bad but i guess it is my bad. just trying to help a guy out.

that's quite an overheat there, you really gotta blow the gasket and run it for a hell of a long time to get those results.

i wouldn't mess with fixing it unless 16v heads are unattainable where you live. i would just get another.

ok glade he got it done localy. sorry to offer my services. i figured it was fair for shipping it back, gouging out the bad spot, preheating it, careful welding, and sending it back. 100 didnt seem bad but i guess it is my bad. just trying to help a guy out.

Hey I'm sorry... didn't realize you were actually offering to fix my head.

Appreciate the offer

that's quite an overheat there, you really gotta blow the gasket and run it for a hell of a long time to get those results.

i wouldn't mess with fixing it unless 16v heads are unattainable where you live. i would just get another.

Well it did seem like there was some pretty bad preignition on the #3 cylinder but it didn't seem like the engine was actually overheated. It didn't blow into the coolant or oil passages. Oil was clean.

you should of called me. I would traded you that head I have for that one all I need are the valves. I should be home fir Christmas

Back