• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

UK Tbricks Xmas Meet 2011

Nice pics Chesh ;) and thanks again for an awesome weekender, plus, a really big boost for the project of mine!!

Adam

P.S

Dr.Dokeh, what happened there?

Oh by the way, as allways after a meet i've aqquired some new things.

Thankyou very much for my early xmas presents.

I found a nice pair of gloves in the Smart Car.

And i found some sort of jumper, coat thing with a Cherokee label i think in the lounge

I think the gloves belong to Mike - he was moaning about having lost a pair shortly after he played with the Smart.

Cherokee is, I believe, the Tesco own brand clothing label, so all we have to work out is who is pikey enough to shop at Tesco...............

Thanks again Chesh for a cracking meet. Great company, and the meal out was enjoyable too. Sorry I haven't put in an appearance since, but circumstances dictated....

As you've probably gathered, the D5 expired on the way home, courtesy of a catastrophic turbo failure. There's about 15mm of movement in the shaft, about a third of both wheels has been worn away by contact with the housings. Anyone interested in seeing pics? This little lot resulted in the sump being emptied in about 10-15 minutes (which luckily was *just* enough time to get me to the pub I was heading for!). I recovered about a litre of oil from it (capacity is 6.5L)...and probably another half litre from the intake pipework!

A second-hand turbo later, and I'm back in business. Changing it was easy enough...just a shame about the weather! Oh...and it dieseled like hell for 2-3 seconds on the first test run (and slipped the clutch). I'm not sure what the engine speed was, but certainly above 5k! Moral of the story...drain the intercooler!

The car sounds just the same as it always has, so I'm not too concerned. There are a few rattles, but they're nothing new. I think it's a mixture of tired DMF, a knackered engine mount (or two) and something in the aux belt area (Roger says alternator pulley, and I trust his judgement). It had timing and aux belts fairly recently, and I think all the tensioners were changed - I'll have to check the file. I think the intercooler is probably partly blown (I was getting a management fault at high speed and full load the other night, which I've been reliably informed is classic failed intercooler (i.e. slight boost leak) behaviour. Boost leaks elsewhere tend to be more severe, so throw it straight into limp-home. To be fair though, trying to use full boost with the weather as it is is a waste of time anyway, so I'll look at it in the spring.

cheers

James

Thanks again Chesh for a cracking meet. Great company, and the meal out was enjoyable too. Sorry I haven't put in an appearance since, but circumstances dictated....

As you've probably gathered, the D5 expired on the way home, courtesy of a catastrophic turbo failure. There's about 15mm of movement in the shaft, about a third of both wheels has been worn away by contact with the housings. Anyone interested in seeing pics? This little lot resulted in the sump being emptied in about 10-15 minutes (which luckily was *just* enough time to get me to the pub I was heading for!). I recovered about a litre of oil from it (capacity is 6.5L)...and probably another half litre from the intake pipework!

A second-hand turbo later, and I'm back in business. Changing it was easy enough...just a shame about the weather! Oh...and it dieseled like hell for 2-3 seconds on the first test run (and slipped the clutch). I'm not sure what the engine speed was, but certainly above 5k! Moral of the story...drain the intercooler!

The car sounds just the same as it always has, so I'm not too concerned. There are a few rattles, but they're nothing new. I think it's a mixture of tired DMF, a knackered engine mount (or two) and something in the aux belt area (Roger says alternator pulley, and I trust his judgement). It had timing and aux belts fairly recently, and I think all the tensioners were changed - I'll have to check the file. I think the intercooler is probably partly blown (I was getting a management fault at high speed and full load the other night, which I've been reliably informed is classic failed intercooler (i.e. slight boost leak) behaviour. Boost leaks elsewhere tend to be more severe, so throw it straight into limp-home. To be fair though, trying to use full boost with the weather as it is is a waste of time anyway, so I'll look at it in the spring.

cheers

James

This has been an interesting thread. Have you lads thought of turning it into a UK TBricks chat thread in the OT forum? :nod:

Last edited:
Strangely the car is not giving me any codes (although it might be my cheapass ebay chinese code reader...) we appear to have a faulty cam sensor. Got a replacement coming next week so we'll see then...

it wouldn't be a proper UKTB meet without a couple of random breakdowns.

I Think they might be my gloves (the thin black mechanics ones) please keep them Pete, they are only a couple of days old and I can get some more.

Good one, the pub baloons and aftermarket facial hair were fun.

Well stop being a miserable Brummie Git and actually come to one.............

Sod off - I'm the resident miserably Brummie Git :rofl::rofl:

Would be good to see you Griz, no excuses next time!

What is missing from the pics is the hilarity ensued when trying to roll the 240 back off Chesh's drive by Max :-P :)

Brummie? I haven't heard that in well over 50 years. My mom and dad were Brummies and when I was 10 years old we moved back to B'ham for a couple of years before we came to Canada. I guess I wouldn't know the place now, but I used to spend a lot of time train spotting at Snow Hill and New Street stations and the Monument Road station near the cut. My mom used to get a bit pee'd of because I'd come home smelling of smoke, coal dust and oil. :)

Do we not have any more moustache pictures?!

Pretty sure more were taken; I'm yet to see mine...

Suterman passed out by the door was a personal highlight! That along with the cracker prizes, naturally.

Griz: Just say you're going for milk or something; I think there's a reasonable expectation that a man's milk trip could take 30 hours.

Back