home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-24-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
Ninja007
Board Member

Default Kickdown cable adjustment problems

Hi, after my fresh rebuild I went for my first drive. Everything was functioning properly until I gained a little confidence and pushed the gas pedal further. I broke my kickdown cable because it was adjusted improperly. I since installed a new kickdown cable and CANNOT get it adjusted correctly. I read all the guides on how to do this properly, listened for the click in the trans where the cable should rest etc.

The problem is, if I adjust the cable properly, then extend the throttle body to full open the travel of the cable is maxed out before I hit the stop on the throttle body (this is how my first cable broke). So right now I am forced to leave the kickdown cable with enough slack so that I reach max kickdown at full throttle, however this leads to the trans shifting WAY to early. Very annoying for my DD. Any thoughts on a fix for this? I have thought about moving the stop back on my throttle body, but then I wont be letting the max amount of air into the motor
Ninja007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Ninja007
Board Member

Bump. A year later I am still having problems. I have considered cutting the cable by the throttle body and welding a spring inline so it has a bit more travel
Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
project volvo
spoolakowski

it sounds like it's maladjusted or the bracket is bent or something. there has to be a particular fault if you have had two different cables but the same issue. Take a look at another car and try to see whats going on. BTW you said you had a fresh rebuild any chance you put a different trans in? aw70 wold shift earlier than an aw71

project slowski (old project now gone)^^^

New Project Slug Works

my feedback thread here > FEEEEDBACK!!!!
project volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
DurableSwedish
Hunting for a turbo

how old is the kickdown cable? we just replaced one here at the shop because the end was bent a tiny bit and causing the 940 to shift weird.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Ninja007
Board Member

I had purchased the cable new from FCP. The bracket came from the donor car, a 940 I think, I will see if the bracket is the same since I still have my old bracket