• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 245 no spark

Just won't fire

Just could not get it to fire up.
It tries but plugs wet hence why I removed fuel line and reconnected after ignition on .
So rail had no pressure or chance of flooding but won't start.
No idea what to do or test. I know engine runs as ran on Saturday etc.
But impossible to start.
In addition Haynes manual says knock senor should have voltage but nothing ac or dc

When testing, no wires were damaged, swapped or left disconnected?

Under the intake, connectors for temp sensor and knock sensor arent mixed up?

Ohm value coolant temp sensor ok? If sensor is broken, and it can break suddenly, the engine will be hard to start and flood. ECU doesn't always throw a code.

One time I diagnosed a no-start issue on a 240, someone had plugged in an extra fuel relay on a 6-pin connector behind the cluster. It shorted the ignition signal.

I'd almost expect something like this is happening, or a combination of issues that make troubleshooting really difficult. But I'm sure you'll find it.

Massive thank you

finally got it to fire straight up and run.
Swapped ECU, ICU and MAF swapped BATTERY for xc90 battery.
Gave the knock sensors a knock, cleaned all the terminals and finished with contact spray.
Engine ran straight away and ran smooth. Let run till warm and then let rest till cold.
First Swapped battery backto volvo 240 and fired up straight away
I started to swap out one by one all the 4 MAF and each ran fine no 121 code.
Swapped 3 Icu all ran engine fine no codes.
Swapped the 3 ECU and all fine.
I not 100% sure what made it so hard to start, but I think the more powerful xc90 battery done something to knock sensor.
Fingers crossed tomorrow fires up again.

Thank you to ZVOLV, BOBXYZ, JW240 for all your expert advice.

Does it still run, Taz?

240's are known for having poor connections at the fuses. Clean them lightly. Apply dielectric grease.?

They are also known for having windshield water leaks. Inspect the "EFI/Fuel pump relay" and the LH control module for signs of corrosion. Open them and look for signs of water intrusion.

How ****ty are your battery cables/terminals? Do you have a corroded fuse/holder by teh battery?

Last edited:
Back