home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-01-2020, 12:39 AM   #351
77volvo245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
Thanks!

I also considered an electric waterpump, but after talking to a bunch of people I decided not to. They are really just for drag racing and are apparently unreliable for everyday use. You could probably create a new coolant circuit by Ting into a heater hose and adding a bung on the radiator, idk, there must be a way.
2015 camaro water pump
Old 12-01-2020, 10:12 PM   #352
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Finally got the rest of the 6AN fittings for the surge tank install. I don't know why it is taking so dam long for companies to put stuff in a box these days. Anyway, time to start saving up for the rest of the fuel line parts.

Crooked I know, I didn't tighten the mounting bolts yet.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:53 PM   #353
Old Iron
I Roll

Coming together nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
No sarcastic replies from Redwood Chair necessary
Old Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:07 PM   #354
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks, getting there slowly.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #355
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I ordered 2 of these in October to add crankcase ventilation to the valve covers:

Supposed to be here on Saturday, finally, Fed Ex really sucks. They said they attempted delivery (not at my house they didn't) and now there is no scheduled delivery date, 3 days later. So tired of their excuses. They made another delivery of something the wife ordered and just tossed it over my fence (a day late, at 7 PM), so they suck even when they can figure out how to do their job.

End rant haha
Old 12-14-2020, 10:12 PM   #356
Alex Mcknz
Board Member

It seems like this build is going well. You surely have a lot of plan for this car.
Alex Mcknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #357
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

It is going well, but slow. Need a sponsor or something to get it moving faster lol
Old 12-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #358
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Not much has been happening due to the weather (super cold) and funds are tight. I did finally get my valve cover ventilation fittings though. They have no screens or anything in them to prevent oil from shooting up there, so I ended up stuffing them with fiberglass window screen since that is oil proof, and if it does break apart it isn't a huge deal inside the motor.

They will be plumbed to a Radium catch can (it has to match the fuel stuff, plus it has a dipstick haha), no engine vacuum to it, just a mini K&N filter on it.

Someone needs to buy my rear louver so I can get some more parts.

Stock catch can photo, these guys make nice stuff.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #359
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Got some lift time finally today and more tomorrow, wish I had the fuel lines and battery cable. Anyway I yanked the stock fuel lines and under car fuel stuff out. The return line siphoned about 9 gallons of gas out for some reason, which was an unexpected bonus.

I thought I would have to pull the transmission out to clearance the tunnel a bit, but it turns out I just had the wrong trans mount. The standard Ford mount brought it down a little and now I have plenty of room. I also got the hydraulic clutch pedal and master cylinder installed for good.

I started the hydroboost brake install, but when I was bench bleeding the master cylinder it started leaking from the grommets between the reservoir and the main body. It's a Mustang master cylinder with a Volvo reservoir on it, I did use o rings to space it up a little but maybe not enough? I'm not sure, I will attempt double o rings tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:12 PM   #360
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

I love pretty car parts.

Edit: I need your lack of brake booster setup. Wow.

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #361
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I'm a sucker for well designed stuff. The brake booster will hopefully be in tomorrow, it is a much smaller footprint but a good bit longer and heavier. I just have to figure out how to stop the reservoir from leaking.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #362
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I had today to work on the car again, it was a bit win, a bit lose.

I added crankcase ventilation to the valve covers, that went fairly smooth. The hydroboost was a bit different. I guess I messed up with the measurements of where the clevis that mounts on the pedal goes, it is about a half inch or so too long. I went to install the hoses, and the power steering pump to hydroboost was fine, but the line to the steering rack wasn't. The fitting is not what I thought it was. Not usually a big deal but my lift time is at an end tomorrow, I will try to get the right fitting locally in the morning, which always cost twice as much as it should, but oh well.

As far as the spacing on the clevis, I will do a bit of grinding on the clevis and space the hydroboost off the firewall a little, hopefully that get it done without a huge pain in the ass.

I wasn't able to make the brake fluid reservoir stop leaking, I did manage to make it worse though haha. I will probably just use the mustang reservoir, it looks goofy but I get move on.

I put the breathers in the only real estate available. Since they are semi-tall valve covers there is no rocker clearance issues. They are packed with fiberglass window screens to hopefully stop them from sucking oil up.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #363
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I finally got the hydroboost unit and high pressure lines installed. I ended up drilling the clevis hole out a few hundredths and using the aluminum spacer plate I made a while ago. If anyone needs to know or cares, you need a 14mm to 6AN banjo fitting in the rack.

Did a little wiring under the car, hopefully the "speed signal" wire for the ecu is the same as the electronic speedo output on the transmission, IDK. It makes sense and plugs into the hole so...

Some mice started eating a kevlar spark plug wire boot, wtf.

This thing cost $30 list is $50! At the local hydraulic shop.

I only had to take it in and out about 15 times to get it to fit correctly lol. You need to make sure there is no preload on it or the brakes will drag all the time.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #364
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

While saving up for the next round of parts, I decided to build the 3rd member for the Ford 9" rear. I bought a Yukon Gear 3.89 ring and pinion, install kit, and a Detroit Truetrac a while ago. Got all the pieces on the bench and it occurred to me that I may have a problem, I know a little more now than when I originally purchased this stuff.
The main mistake I made was specifying 35 spline axles for the Truetrac. That requires 3.25 " carrier bearings, and my carrier is only 2.89", no way 35 spline axles are gonna work.

That leaves me with the following options (either option requires new axles):
1: Buy a new carrier and pinion support that have proper size bearing holes for 35 spline axles. These are only available in the aftermarket.
2: Attempt to return the Truetrac (its been almost 2 years since I bought it) and get one for 31 spline axles.

I am pretty sure #1 is the way to go, an updated carrier and pinion support will be stronger (and hopefully a little lighter) and I can still have beefcake 35 spline axles.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:49 PM   #365
KwikBrik245
Board Member

The Hydroboost setup is so cool.

'88 744, Twin Turbo LS1/T56, Grizzly locked Dana 30.
KwikBrik245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:34 PM   #366
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

Thanks, like every other system it cost a bit more than anticipated. But it should be worth it in terms of space saved and brake performance. I mostly did it for valve cover/coil clearance.

I should be ready to buy more parts next month to get this underway again.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #367
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I had 8AN fittings welded to the stock sending unit, and about to put the Aeromotive pump in. It's 340 lph Stealth series pump to feed the surge tank pumps. Fuel system is getting close, I just need to run (and buy) feed and return lines, and connect from the regulator to the fuel rails.

I was fortunate to find a good job this year, just in time to get hit with house/dentist/life types of expenses, but I am more excited than ever to get this on the road.