home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #51
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHN8 View Post
It ain't pretty, but it's not show car anyway.
Either way, it looks like it was done RIGHT. Nice work.

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:32 PM   #52
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Keep it up Nate! This is inspiring stuff. Won't be long now till SFO is fogged in with tire smoke from this bad jackson.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #53
MCHN8
Board Member

Cheers Gents! It's in the death by a thousand cuts phase. So many fittings!
MCHN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:54 PM   #54
MCHN8
Board Member

Motivation is a subtle thing. I blame it's fickle nature for the delta between planned and actual schedule. These weeks are whipping by!

Most of the fab is done now. Some mechanical left, mainly massaging the front fenders. Side skirts, the front splitter, and paint don't count as mechanical. Brakes are half sorted (fittings, need lines). Wiring and tuning are the biggies on the horizon now.

Exhaust is 4" to the flex-joint, then 3.5". Fuel system is in there somewhere:

Snug over the axle:

Limited out on axle adjustment, added adjusters:

Cold side coming up!

Old 03-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #55
aidanahunter
Board Member

Looks awesome!

4.6 32V 240 Wagon
aidanahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:57 PM   #56
Duder

Quote:
Motivation is a subtle thing. I blame it's fickle nature for the delta between planned and actual schedule. These weeks are whipping by!
I'm right there with you dude. Motivation comes in waves for me. The forums help reinforce it when it comes... so use the high of sharing progress to get even more done now! It may seem trivial but honestly being able to share your work with a bunch of other passionate dorks is really cathartic, especially in the last year.

Everything looks really good on the recent progress - keep on taking those bites of the elephant and before long we will be talking about how to make it hook up and go faster...
Old 03-09-2021, 11:39 PM   #57
MCHN8
Board Member

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Motivation comes in waves for me. (edit) how to make it hook up and go faster...
SOOO looking forward to that!

One cool thing about the Holley is that we can do boost by "X". Still haven't decided on X, but it can be 2 and/or a 3D. So wheel speed sensor or gear or other input. Variables like E85%, back pressure, and brake status can also be added for more fun.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:57 PM   #58
Duder

Quote:
One cool thing about the Holley is that we can do boost by "X". Still haven't decided on X, but it can be 2 and/or a 3D. So wheel speed sensor or gear or other input. Variables like E85%, back pressure, and brake status can also be added for more fun.
That will be fun. I think with the amount of low-end you'll on tap you will want boost by gear for sure (IMO) but if you can also ramp it up by wheel speed within each gear, then even better. I'm curious to see how easy or difficult it will be to dial in the desired amount of wheelspin. Of course after you burn through the first set of tires and get a stickier compound you'll have to recalibrate anyway
Old 03-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #59
MCHN8
Board Member

Quote:
That will be fun. I think with the amount of low-end you'll on tap you will want boost by gear for sure (IMO) but if you can also ramp it up by wheel speed within each gear, then even better. I'm curious to see how easy or difficult it will be to dial in the desired amount of wheelspin. Of course after you burn through the first set of tires and get a stickier compound you'll have to recalibrate anyway
Oh man this might be a pucker master. I've driven my share of <3k lb 600whp+ cars and always remember that first time you get into it and realize that they are not joking. Makes your butt twitch a bit! Looking forward to that.

Got the cold side and pcv sorted. Brakes and wiring this week.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #60
Duder

Dude, you are getting close! Take some video when you fire it up for the first time.

Nice logical routing of the charge plumbing, and that cooler looks nice and girthy.

I'm sure you have thought about this but I'd for sure recommend some sort of bellypan or impact guard for the lower half of the intercooler. With the glass airdam I'm guessing you will have plenty of room for both ducting and protection under there.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:34 PM   #61
MCHN8
Board Member

Quote:
I'd for sure recommend some sort of bellypan or impact guard for the lower half of the intercooler.
You're totally right. I honestly hadn't thought much about that. What's the point of a long travel road suspension if I can't safely put some gap between the blacktop and the rubber? Landing scenarios. Must be fortified!

I bought the IPD undertray and it needs modifying to accommodate the crossover and WG. Thinking an extension on it of some sort with it's own ducted exit to the neg pressure zone behind the front wing. Laminated panels on the horizon.

Here's a profile shot with flatbar squared to the crossmember:

Old 03-21-2021, 08:34 PM   #62
Duder

Using the ipd belly pan as protection and as a basis for ductwork sounds good to me. Coroplast is the go-to Lemons favorite aerodynamic material, if you can afford to go one step up from Cardboard Fiber (TM).

Yeah from the front view it almost looks like the intercooler would touch the ground, but definitely not so bad when viewed from the side!
Old 05-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #63
MCHN8
Board Member

It's alive! We had a successful first start this week. Everything was fine with the exception of a few leaks, most notably the oil pan gasket. Not fun but better than the RMS, which it appeared to be at first. Flywheel was dry as a bone thankfully.

Pics:

Buttoned up

Mann PCV

Levitating Motor

Tell tale

Dash

Hopefully this week I can massage the front fenders, align it, do a little tuning and drop it off at the paint shop.

Stoke!

https://youtu.be/pY0dgwAwNV4

Old 05-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #64
aidanahunter
Board Member

Awesome!!
aidanahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #65
Duder

Glad it turned out to be just the pan gasket!

When I saw the car last weekend I gained full appreciation for your system layout skillz. These turbo V8 240s mainly seem to be packaging challenges, and twin vs. single both have their pros & cons. You crammed it all in nicely and you even have some room left over for a washer bottle on the driver's side inner fender
Old 05-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #66
MCHN8
Board Member

Quote:
Glad it turned out to be just the pan gasket!

When I saw the car last weekend I gained full appreciation for your system layout skillz. These turbo V8 240s mainly seem to be packaging challenges, and twin vs. single both have their pros & cons. You crammed it all in nicely and you even have some room left over for a washer bottle on the driver's side inner fender
Cheers Bud! That plumbing was seemingly never ending, and agreed I do need to add a washer bottle and pump back into the mix.

I spoke too soon. Pulled the pan, replaced the gasket, reinstalled, started it back up and.... same leak. *&@^#%&^@%

This time I really got a good look with the right light in the bellhousing peep slot. Low and behold two little streams of oil going over the gasket and down the back of the pan. That means RMS or rear cover seal. Let's hope 3rd time is the charm with this one.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #67
hk 40
Board Member

Nice Work!!

assuming we have an electrical circuit containing a power source and a solenoid of inductance L , we can write the equation of magnetic energy, E , stored in the inductor as: E = 1/2 * L * I² , where I is the current flowing through the wire

I have an ecu which has 8 channels of full sequential fuel and ignition control .
hk 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #68
Duder

Quote:
Cheers Bud! That plumbing was seemingly never ending, and agreed I do need to add a washer bottle and pump back into the mix.

I spoke too soon. Pulled the pan, replaced the gasket, reinstalled, started it back up and.... same leak. *&@^#%&^@%

This time I really got a good look with the right light in the bellhousing peep slot. Low and behold two little streams of oil going over the gasket and down the back of the pan. That means RMS or rear cover seal. Let's hope 3rd time is the charm with this one.
Damn, that's a bummer about the oil leak. You got this though - the finish line is near...

The washer bottle thing is funny. I've been driving around in my 242 without one for several years now because my particular engine bay setup doesn't leave a nice spot for any of the OE bottles, except maybe the early 80s 240 Turbo bottle which is hard to come by. I need to just find a good small substitute and hide it somewhere. But whenever I see someone else's engine bay now I'm mentally trying to cram a washer bottle in somewhere. Your driver's inner fender layout leaves a really nice space for one.

The original 245 setup (which probably had already been pulled from the car when you got it from me) had 2 pumps in a large reservoir, one for the windshield and one for the rear window. If you want a rear washer (hehe) then it might make sense to put a smaller bottle back in the buttcheek with its own dedicated pump.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #69
Carnage

Love your work, it going to be a beast. Good fab work. Making me feel like a hack. (Which I am )
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:17 AM   #70
MCHN8
Board Member

Quote:
Damn, that's a bummer about the oil leak. You got this though - the finish line is near...

*edit* buttcheek with its own dedicated pump.

Cheers! The motor's out, waiting on parts. It's puzzling though. This is the first RMS leak I've had out of 8 LS builds. Grr

Window squirters are nice for sure. Some small bottles and pumps hidden away will happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Love your work, it going to be a beast. Good fab work. Making me feel like a hack. (Which I am )
Thank you sir! I feel like a hack too BTW.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #71
PaddyGarcia
Board Member

Quote:
Thank you sir! I feel like a hack too BTW.
I aspire to be a fraction of this much of a hack.
PaddyGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote