home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 02-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
kubapuch
Board Member

Default Best Dash Mat for 92 244

Hi all,

Not sure which section would be best but some looked kind of dead and I wanted some decent feedback if possible.

I have a single crack (crazy I know) starting on my dash board and I really donít want it to spread and would rather throw a dash mat on it. I have a 1992 244 and black would work best but Iím not sure where to go.

Which brand fits best? Who has experience with dash mats and could show me theirs? Some eBay links and other place looked a little suspicious!

Thanks, Kuba
kubapuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
sheepbleat
Board Member

Nothing dead here! TB’s the party that goes all night!

To be honest, I’m currently weighing solutions for the same issue. If you search around you’ll find some comments on dash covers, but it sounds like some are still prone to cracking or mounting issues. For the money and work involved, I’m growing more skeptical of them. Happy to be proven wrong though!

I’m not proud to say that I’ve caved and ordered a carpet cover for my ‘91 244 dash on eBay. I’ve never been fond of that look, but this picture set has me rethinking it. Will report back on if it grows on me or not!
sheepbleat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I've used two types of fabric dash covers over the years. There are polypropylene carpet ones and velour. The velour looks a lot nicer to me. I bought the velour one from IPD and the poly one from JC Whitney. Be aware that your dash will continue to crack underneath as there is no stopping those crack from progressing. The cover helps slow the issue down but doesn't completely prevent it.

There was a good thread on using one of the plastic molded dash covers. Those look good as well but are a lot more work to get a good fit on the dash.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #4
TestPoint
Board Member

The Coverlay dash cover is the standard for cracked dashes. Second place is the carpet solution.

The Coverlay cover is the only one on the market. If you find a cover on IPD, Summit, JC Whitney, or anywhere else it is going to be the Coverlay one. Search for the cheapest. Anything other than black is probably going to require painting to match your interior.

It is best done with the dash out. That points most to the rug solution.

I have done two with the dash out and both turned out looking like OEM . . . almost. The surface detail is a little less sharp on the cover.

Here is my experience with the first one. The dash had to come out for heater core anyway so why not do it right.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=309320

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...&postcount=158

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460

Last edited by TestPoint; 02-25-2021 at 08:38 PM..
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote