• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo at the End?

smurf244

The smurf is no more
A friend of mine has a new corvette :omg: , and he has a funky turbo setup. The turbos are at the end of the exhust. How can those thing give extra power? If they really do work, is there some way we could do this on our bricks? I dont remember the name of the system and my friend is not in the states today so I cant ask him. I think that its just a bunch of extra unusefull wight.

Thanks,
Adam

it works, when i first heard about it i thought it was weird too. probably because there is no space in the engine compartment for a turbo setup.

rear turbo

This keeps the heat out of the engine compartment and the return pipe to the intake mani acts like an intercooler. Can be some lag issues though, but I hear it works allright.

Josh

i've read and thought about this stuff. One thing thats cool about them is due to the long piping, they don't need an intercooler, it cools it enough on the trip from the rear end to the front. However, i can't imagine make huge power with these. Turbos work b/c of the high energy state of the exhaust as it leaves the engine, once it travels down the exhaust it cools signicantly, so all you are using, i suppose, is the pressure difference to spin the turbo. So i say do it right or go home, this stuff seems half-ass to me.

There are turbo kits that put the turbo in the front on Vettes, and they work just fine. I wouldn't use a rear mounted turbo for the reasons listed above and for the pain in the ass it would be to run the plumbing, oil lines, exhaust. And tell me that it will cool the boost charge enough on a 100 degree day.

Crappy engineering gimmick.

its no gimmick, this thing has been polished up 2 years ago and TONS of GM guys with V8's are running them....

the biggest problem was the oil feed and return system. the exhaust housing is matched to the exhaust flow....

i've seen videos of it running on a firebird....3000 rpm it had full boost and it was making very decent power.

badvlvo said:
There are turbo kits that put the turbo in the front on Vettes, and they work just fine. I wouldn't use a rear mounted turbo for the reasons listed above and for the pain in the ass it would be to run the plumbing, oil lines, exhaust. And tell me that it will cool the boost charge enough on a 100 degree day.

Crappy engineering gimmick.

just because something is out of the norm or not along the lines of what you like does not mean its a poor design

turbo boost

If you have ever looked at the location of the turbo on a P47 fighter or a P38 fighter you would know that remote mounting the turbo works. It isn't maybe the most optimal location for exhaust energy but it surely gets the job done and the boost helped shoot down a lot of enemy planes during the war.

i think they reduce the size of the pipes on the way to the turbo to keep the velocity up, they are usally twins in the back

benflynn said:
i think they reduce the size of the pipes on the way to the turbo to keep the velocity up, they are usally twins in the back

You guys should really go find a copy of GM High Tech Performance mag. I think the last issue before the current one had an LS1 GTO with an STS rear mount turbo kit with an intercooler up front that made something like 670 rwhp on 10 pounds of boost. Single turbo kit!

I say why not try it on a Volvo, but why do that when you have all the available things to put it in the engine bay?

Since I work at a performance shop that specializes in tuning and upgrading Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds/TransAms, and GTO's I think I will chime in here...

Yes STS is a company that makes rear mount turbo kits for several applications. They work fine and there really isn't as much lag as anyone might think considering the distance that the boost has to travel. The big problem with their kits is that you can't very well drive them in the rain because they suck up water coming from under the car into the air-intake for the turbo... bad.

But there is also this little company called LIGENFELTER and they have a twin turbo package that puts the turbos under the engine area and back towards the tranny, basically you can't see them from the top. Oh and golly we happen to have a 427ci Ligenfelter TT corvette at our shop right now that we tuned... And it only makes 773rwhp and 887rwtq @ 14psi on race gas, with a 5700rpm rev limiter. In "valet mode" for every day driving it makes 580rwhp. We just installed alcohol injection on it to serve as a power-adder but to also cool the intake charge as that system does not have an intercooler (but it worked fine anyways). So we'll see what happens. This is a dial-a-horsepower car anyways because he can turn the boost up as high as he wants but he said 780hp was enough to scare the sh*t out of him for a while.

Ehh but anyways I guess I drifted a little off topic. Bottom line is the kits are out there, STS is the big name company, the kits work, but they aren't the best. Also it would be a waste to do it on a brick anyways since everything fits fine in the engine compartment. On that note there is a few single turbo kits for corvettes, big problems with underhood temps though. On one guys vette the turbo was too close to the coolant resevoir and it started to melt it some. Also we did a single turbo t/a with a HUGE front mount kit (can't remember the kit name, there isn't many though), also had problems with underhood temps and overheating as the turbo was practically touching the radiator (not much room up there).

Ehh so anyways I hope I've covered a few questions here, I'll be happy to answer more or find out from the right sources for questions I can't answer, but you can trust me on all of this, I work around these cars every day :)

Sp3aK said:
Yes STS is a company that makes rear mount turbo kits for several applications. They work fine and there really isn't as much lag as anyone might think considering the distance that the boost has to travel. The big problem with their kits is that you can't very well drive them in the rain because they suck up water coming from under the car into the air-intake for the turbo... bad.
Actually, thats not too much of a problem. They have covers and sleeves that cover the intake that prevents water from being sucked in. If you check out their website, they show a video of a Tacoma with their turbo setup driving through water and coming out just fine. Or you could always locate the intake somewhere else like the trunk or something.

The engine bay on a volvo is not like a frog's ass....so true, you have all the room you really need upfront. Plus, why go through the hassle of adapting a kit like this, when you can use parts that were built to fit it in the engine bay. If it ain't broke....

SwedishFish said:
You guys should really go find a copy of GM High Tech Performance mag. I think the last issue before the current one had an LS1 GTO with an STS rear mount turbo kit with an intercooler up front that made something like 670 rwhp on 10 pounds of boost. Single turbo kit!

I say why not try it on a Volvo, but why do that when you have all the available things to put it in the engine bay?

SwedishBrick240 said:
Actually, thats not too much of a problem. They have covers and sleeves that cover the intake that prevents water from being sucked in. If you check out their website, they show a video of a Tacoma with their turbo setup driving through water and coming out just fine. Or you could always locate the intake somewhere else like the trunk or something.
Right that's what their website says... And FlowMaster claims you can gain HP with their exhaust's... but that's dyno proven to be un-true. We have seen as much as a 20hp gain on some cars by using a cutout or unbolting the flowmonster.

We've got a guy that has a shield, a sleeve, and a protectant on the sleeve and he still had problems. I mean it doesn't matter anyways because I wouldn't get an STS kit, they are too problematic. But of course their website isn't going to say anything about the real problems with the kits, they've got marketing to worry about.

1 riktig svensk said:
The engine bay on a volvo is not like a frog's ass....so true, you have all the room you really need upfront. Plus, why go through the hassle of adapting a kit like this, when you can use parts that were built to fit it in the engine bay. If it ain't broke....

well its kinda like why go to the hassle of making a volvo fast when you could just buy a fast car to start with.

I think its pretty cool and give mad props to whomever tries it on a volvo first.

Back