• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

NEW to the Bricks

JUGGIN

How far can I turn up the boost safley on my 1990 740 wagon? I have heard 10-12 psi all that is done from stock is a air intake and now a MBC and boost gauge.
Any help would be awesome
Thanks, Ricky

Here is a good read for you

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=166164&highlight=staged+modifications

FWIW it's not so much "pick on the new guy" as it is the new guy not spending any time searching and reading for the answers they seek. These guys hate answering the same questions over and over. 8/10 noobs log on and immediately ask the same question you did with the same results or worse.

To answer your question, from what I have read, your stock turbo is at the end of it's efficiency at 13psi and will be "just blowing hot air" after that. You need to do what is known around here as "stage 0" before upping your boost levels. Stage zero is basically doing any repairs/maintenance needed to get your car to stock levels and can include everything from fluids and filters, tune up parts, timing belt if due, replacing any vacuum lines that are dry rotted, cracked or split to major repairs like oil leaks or head gasket replacement. So, get on with that before upping boost levels and causing problems that will lead to poor performance and or trouble in your future.

And, if you swapped out your stock air box for one of those small parts store cone filters you may have just taken a step back from performance gains. Some will argue that those small cones have less surface area than the stock air filter and you are better off modding the stock air box.

Welcome to turbodicks. Home of the sub 15 second car.

What's the harm in asking the question??? There's no sticky on the topic. There's no sticky for newbs. Most of the topics in the FAQ are ancient. TB's search feature is lacking.

Anyone doing a cursory search of the forum would not find the information they're looking for.

So I ask again, what's the harm in asking a question? If you don't know the answer, or are just looking to bust someone's balls, stick to OT.

Welcome to turbodicks. Home of the sub 15 second car.

What's the harm in asking the question??? There's no sticky on the topic. There's no sticky for newbs. Most of the topics in the FAQ are ancient. TB's search feature is lacking.

Anyone doing a cursory search of the forum would not find the information they're looking for.

So I ask again, what's the harm in asking a question? If you don't know the answer, or are just looking to bust someone's balls, stick to OT.

You're right. And it's not like any of the usual crowd ever bothers answering even simple questions, they just yell at newbs and scare them away----forgetting they asked equally dumb questions themselves...:oops:

By the way, how you doing these day?

when it hit 15 psi it hit the fuel cut not a big deal its just a daily driver till I get my wife another car then its open season with it untill I get bored with it then v8 swap it goes

when it hit 15 psi it hit the fuel cut not a big deal its just a daily driver till I get my wife another car then its open season with it untill I get bored with it then v8 swap it goes

Fuk v8 man! Put a bigger turbo on it!!!!:oops:

There are merits and drawbacks to both approaches.

All depends on what you want out of it.

Oh I will use the stock block till its done then swap it

If you wanna build it on a budget ( cheap TB way) go to the junkyard and look for a volvo 15g.
I still have not installed mine yet, but many people try them for a cheap bigger then stock turbo.

Back