• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I closed the hood and destroyed my AC condensor fan...

Apparently this is a thing for the 91+ systems. I replaced the relay, closed the hood, and BAM! I removed the bits of fan and disconnected the relay to prevent any further issues. The A/C was still cold on the way home (once I got moving) so I think the condenser is OK but I need a new fan. Apparently this is a design flaw with these cars -- the fan is fine with the hood open or closed but the latch doesn't clear the fan *while closing* the hood.

So.......now I need a new fan and ideally a solution for this stupid problem. I don't want this to happen again.

FCP Euro lists a few Mishimoto fans on their site (10/12/16") but I don't know if these will work for the condenser or if they are meant for the radiator.

Thanks!

It is not an issue with 91+ 240s. I have never seen what you describe and have owned 50+ 91-93 240s. Just mount the fan in the proper place using all the proper brackets and it will be fine.

Courtesy of the A/C thread:

Another thing to note is the weak pusher fan originally used on these cars. I replaced mine with a $20 Ebay 14" reversible cooling fan mounted directly on the condenser. Even these cheap Chinese fans will move more air than the originals. Mine is wired into the existing fan circuit.

...so the ones FCP sells should be fine if any Ebay generic works. Maybe play it safe and don't get the 16" unless you can measure to confirm it'll fit though! Also note that they may not fit the stock mounting points so you'll need to use their kit or some other mounting solution.

A guy in the reviews of the 12" model says they bought theirs for use as a AC fan in a 240 and had no issues.

your rubber fan mounts are prob broken andf that led to problem.

They don't look perfect but they aren't broken. Perhaps there is enough movement when the fan is on to cause a problem when I close the hood. Thanks!

Back