• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW-70 overdrive not engaging... HELP!!!

G

I have an '89 244 DL with the AW-70 I believe. Ive had the OD silenoid replaced before and the actual switch as well. Right now its stuck off. I took it to my mechanic and he said that both the sileloid and the switch are working properly, but he said I need a whole new transmission. I find that hard to believe. What else could be the problem? Im very capable with the wrench so please just give it to me straight. Any help would be great!! Thanks, Joey

umm....did anyone think to tell you that the $30 relay might be the reason for your trouble.

neal

yeah its a common problem with the relay.
I have the exact same problem at the moment but dont have time to check the relay out.
The relay is located where your fuses are...
The quick check would be to run the car and press the OD button if you can here a clicking sound from there when you press the button then there is a good chance its not your relay but just incase check it as it miy still contact but no supply enough current to turn the solnoid on.

I had the exact problem on my 85 244. Look at a wiring diagram and check the OD solenoid with a test light. My OD Solenoid was fine, and the tranny is being rebuilt right now. Check the tension in the kickdown cable as well.

Back