• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ghetto Evo/B230F exh manifold build

Beelzeboss

G'day all,

I've just started fitting a TD05 turbo from an Evo 8 RS to my '91 240 brick with the genius (lol) idea of adapting the Evo twin scroll cast steel manifold to the B230F.

The port spacing is not the same between the engines so I've cut the runners way back on the Evo manifold, positioned the remaining manifold portion and turbo in the bay, then tacked in some temporary braces.

Now I'm 1 runner down, hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow arvo once I buy some more pipe.

Why? Well here in Australia I've been finding it hard to source a Volvo manifold/turbo for a reasonable price, these titanium wheel TD05 16G's are ~$150 with a proper OEM twin scroll manifold, and the turbo seems like it will be a good fit for the B230F.

I'll also be modifying a Golf GTI intercooler to fit, making a custom 3" stainless turbo back exhaust and fitting RX7 550cc injectors to go with the aftermarket standalone ECU already in the car... RIP AW70.

Anyway, let me know what you think, I'll post an update once it's all finished up.

Last edited:
Normally when running EVO turbos I've seen people use the NA manifolds and build a J pipe, might have luck doing that.

Either way make that sucker spool, and not leak doing it and Ide call it a win

Hi
Looks good so far.
I made a manifold for my TD05HR using weld L's. I had been going to do the J pipe from the n/a manifold but I didn't feel there was room to get the (oddly shaped) downpipe from the turbo past all of that. Space is limited on a RHD car because of the brake booster and I also have the hydraulic clutch in the way.
I tried to position the turbo in the middle of the engine and low enough for the compressor output to go under the pipe from the water pump. There is very little room in the 240 and the turbo position is mostly a compromise.
I'm glad you mentioned a heat shield as those things get really hot - I cooked my brake fluid recently resulting in no brakes and a badly smelling clutch. You probably need to wrap the manifold as heat soak is a killer too. Would also recommend protecting the ignition wires and any brake lines coming close to the manifold.
The only other things I didn't think about when making it were access to the turbo and manifold stud/nuts,acessing the spark plugs and leaving room for the water pipe that comes across from the back of the water pump.
It really is a great turbo and well worth the trouble to fit it.
Did you get the M90 gearbox out there?
Tim

I freaking love this. Rock on!

This is such a great idea. It's a PITA to cut and splice pipes to fit the evo 8 turbo flange. I've done it before and its functional, but it's basically a buggery welded mess. I have a second evo- 8v manifold in the works, but I might scrap it and give this method a try.... plus evo turbo manifolds are relatively cheap.

Last edited:
curious to see this mocked up in the car w/ turbo attached. I'm not envious of having to work around the steering and brake booster on a RHD car.

Nice.

If not already, I'd weld the inside of the runners at the flange that mates to the head and then grind it smooth, but that may be overkill.

You likely know already but when done, this should flow enough to make well into the 3xx PS / 2xx kW range and have great response which translates into a fun ride. Might have to invest in a transmission cooler to keep that AW70 alive for a bit longer... ha.

Looking forward to further updates.

Meant to also add that you can turn that steering arm upside down to move the bulbous bit lower down if it proves advantageous.
Tim

i saw some solid mounts (they did have a nice rubber bushing in them so dunno about "solid") on speeding.nu made by andersson steel speed (Swedish Co i think) that shifted the engine to the left and kept angle of motor unchanged. i think they made them with a couple of different offsets. since you have a RHD car, thinking there is some room to slide the motor over...

just a thought. ooops just checked and it was 50mm back, not left. still might work tho'. they do make a replacement mount for the 200 cars

motorfaste-volvo-200-b23230.html

escoboy

Best ghetto project ever! :-)
I have 2 TD05 twin scroll laying arround since a couple of years and still waiting for a company who is building again manifolds. Also organized all materials for building one my own, but welding skills prevent this part...

this is awsome. i had the evo turbo and the na manifold etc. I built a couple of jpipe but abandon the set up. i like what your doing, I have a upgrade turbine wheel for your evo turbo if you ever want to upgrade. Its brand new. Keep us posted.

looks great, keep us posted. Ive been kicking around welding up a close to fit manifold or merry two of them to make one but with turbo on top. I like your idea. Pure tbrick ingenuity. keep us posted on progress.

Ok you convinced me, haha, I just bought a +90 turbo manifold from Germany......here we go. Luckily I have some parts from turbo P80 projects I can reuse.

Seriously your hacking that thing apart was inspiring!!
What year Golf GTI intercooler are you using, is it stock type or aftermarket?? I'm looking at the NPR units now.

Awesome vid, sounds smooth, clean car too. Soo exciting.

Back