• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

7/9 Battery tray rust

iHateVolvoPeople

We've all seen it. Some surface rust has started on my '90 744 and it absolutely needs to be fixed asap. This happens to be one of the most rust free rwd volvos I've ever seen and I need it to hold it's value. I will get pics soon.

POR15 straight on the surface rust? Sand and paint?

I have seen the trays get so bad that the battery nearly falls out.

Does your battery area have the plastic tray in it? Sand the rust, treat it with conversion coating, prime, paint.

I will have to check. Admittedly only had the battery out of this vehicle when I first bought it, to install a new battery. Is the plastic tray there to help prevent battery acid from causing rust to the metal?

I will have to check. Admittedly only had the battery out of this vehicle when I first bought it, to install a new battery. Is the plastic tray there to help prevent battery acid from causing rust to the metal?

Yep. Do what 2manyturbos said. You can order color match aerosol paint.

Yes, it is designed to keep the battery completely off the sheet metal. It has a drain hole in the middle of it that lines up with the drain hole in the sheet metal. There are 4 rubber discs that keep the plastic tray from touching the sheet metal. All of that may be missing from your car.

Luckily it's single stage white, so should be relatively easy to find. Any recommendations for the conversion coating and primer?

Whatever you can get at the autoparts store. Permatex rust converter. It comes in a small pill looking bottle. Rust oleum self etch primer. Don't try to buy primer at Walmart because it's cheaper. Every time I bought a can, it wouldn't spray right or not all. So I just buy the primer from autozone or oriellys when I need it.

I bought the 189 white from ipd and it worked really well. It won't be cheap. $20 plus $10 shipping. Might be a good time to order other things you need.

Whatever you can get at the autoparts store. Permatex rust converter. It comes in a small pill looking bottle. Rust oleum self etch primer. Don't try to buy primer at Walmart because it's cheaper. Every time I bought a can, it wouldn't spray right or not all. So I just buy the primer from autozone or oriellys when I need it.

I bought the 189 white from ipd and it worked really well. It won't be cheap. $20 plus $10 shipping. Might be a good time to order other things you need.

Man, I just stage zero'd this car earlier this year / last year!

So permatex rust converter, and rustoleum self etch primer, then maybe a matte white (I?ll spend the iPd money if necessary). It will be nice to be able to buy all the things I need from the same place.

This is what I was able to find locally. Will this rust spray work?
MiiEokP_d.jpg

Yep, it will work. It doesn't have to be a super high quality repair. If you use the duplicolor paint, you'll need to buy clear coat as well. Put on 4-5 coats of clear coat as thit's not high quality.

Last edited:
I've used that self etching primer and it bites into the metal like a beast. I've been rather happy with the results I got from it. And, like others said, get the plastic tray and four rubber feet. I don't know what happened to yours, but I doubt you'd have the problem that you do if you had it (my '92 944T looked great when I had the battery and tray out).

Surprisingly, I actually have the plastic tray along with the four rubber feet. I think that maybe the rubber feet were not in their respective places and that could’ve been part of the cause. The rust is very minor in comparison to what I’ve seen in the past. I just do not want anything spreading on this otherwise rust free car.

Surprisingly, I actually have the plastic tray along with the four rubber feet. I think that maybe the rubber feet were not in their respective places and that could?ve been part of the cause. The rust is very minor in comparison to what I?ve seen in the past. I just do not want anything spreading on this otherwise rust free car.

The small protrusion on the back side of the rubber disk goes in the small hole in the sheet metal. I've owned plenty of 7-9 series cars that have them missing of shifted out of position so the plastic tray is rubbing the paint off. The design does a good job of keeping the sheet metal floor from rusting if it is all in place.

The small protrusion on the back side of the rubber disk goes in the small hole in the sheet metal. I've owned plenty of 7-9 series cars that have them missing of shifted out of position so the plastic tray is rubbing the paint off. The design does a good job of keeping the sheet metal floor from rusting if it is all in place.

Yup that?s what i figured, and mine were present but out of place. I plan on putting the final coat on tomorrow.

This process took longer than expected due to being busy with school and other cars and stuff, but I finished up today. The white I used was too bright compared to the Volvo white so it doesn’t look great, but I’m not really worried about looks. After the full process, I sprayed fluid film into all nooks and crannies where the paint likely didn’t reach. My hope is that the fluid film will stop and and all rust in its place.

Back