• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

531 porting work in the south(Houston area)

jjona5

Anyone have someone that does good porting work on the 531 heads? I have one and I have my new rods, squirter block, and forged pistons. Head work, cam, and turbo manifold are about all that I have left before I put it all together.

Serious headwork on an 8v head is an excercise in diminishing returns when a radically ported 8v head is still out-flowed by a stock 16v head.

That said, give Bobby @ Scroggins Machine a call, I bet he can point you in the right direction.

250 rwhp as efficient as possible(little lag and low temps). Hoping to run a gt28rs turbo. I am tempted by the 16v but I have read about too many people bending valves over silly mess. One happened two days ago in my area plus I have the 531 already and I just missed a 16v head in austin a few months back. I already have yoshi rods and matching pistons, a squirter block, cd009 and all of the swap parts including a flat flywheel from sts. Plan is to swap in the 6 speed and once everything is working properly drop in the turbo engine.

For that power I'd stay with an 8v head. A cam like an enem V15 will support that power well. Ported stock 90+ exhaust and intake manifolds have supported that much power.

you don't need to port the head to make 250 rwhp. In fact you don't even really need a crazy camshaft for that. Save the money, maybe do a spring/retainer package and a hotter-than-ipd-turbo cam, and call it a day.

I agree with the above, a little cleanup to make you feel better perhaps, but 250hp is easily attainable on an untouched head.

True, However, a flowed head even with stock valves will flow the gases through better and make less heat during the process. The cam I suggested is similar but better than the IPD cam because it has a proper turbo lobe angle of 112 degrees unlike the IPD turbo cam which is much closer to a n/a cam with it's 110 degrees. Enem V15 n/a cam is 109 and I've never really liked the IPD cam for it's compromised lobe angle. Either go full n/a or full turbo, not something in the middle.

Anyhow I do agree you can just go for it as those guys suggest. I just like to enhance that stuff a bit better than stock.

I would suggest just buying the one in for sale. You'll spend more than the asking price of that head if you do all the same kind of work like larger valves, bowl work, porting, etc. Mine cost more than the asking proce with those mods. https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=351649

No offense to the seller there but that head is grossly overpriced; it's basically just a 531 with 38mm exhaust valves. It's like a $500 head imo.

No offense to the seller there but that head is grossly overpriced; it's basically just a 531 with 38mm exhaust valves. It's like a $500 head imo.

I don't think what you said is offensive at all.

That being said, trying to sell this thing for 1500$ is offensive.

Last edited:
I guess neither of you have had a head professionally flowed. Bowl work, port work, pressure testing, flow testing before and after isn't cheap. Mine also had a 38mm exhaust valve installed. My 531 also needed port four exhaust repair work and welding.
All done by a long time professional shop with results that the shop will back up. i wouldn't sell mine for any less than $1500 wihtout the cam in it.

While I don't exactly know what work was done on that for sale listing. When you have all that work done it adds up quickly. Very easy to spend $1500 or more. Hookups from a buddy at a shop don't count in the real world of speed costs money.

I guess neither of you have had a head professionally flowed. Bowl work, port work, pressure testing, flow testing before and after isn't cheap. Mine also had a 38mm exhaust valve installed. My 531 also needed port four exhaust repair work and welding.
All done by a long time professional shop with results that the shop will back up. i wouldn't sell mine for any less than $1500 wihtout the cam in it. .

LOL, want me to post the 530 head on my car that I?m $4,000 into? Yes that?s a very real number.

The 531 in for sale isn?t really ported and the chambers are stock. Just because machine shop time costs money doesn?t make a stock 531 with a couple valves worth $1500.

LOL, want me to post the 530 head on my car that I?m $4,000 into? Yes that?s a very real number.

The 531 in for sale isn?t really ported and the chambers are stock. Just because machine shop time costs money doesn?t make a stock 531 with a couple valves worth $1500.

Well that makes sense as to why you guys are saying it's not worth that. I get it.

Sure you absolutely should post about your 531. I posted my heads when they were done. It's good stuff. I stopped at reshaping the chamber on mine but he did do some work in the chamber. Total cost on mine was over $2k. If I had it to spend I would do it again.

2 valve Evo head. That's the kind of group buy that would be most excellent.

I could dream!

It is hard to value this stuff. I spent a lot of money on head parts and labor but I think I spent it in the right places, and the result is pretty damn good. But, I'll take a big bath if I ever try to sell it. Small market for that stuff.

Back