home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-15-2022, 08:49 PM   #1
oldnfast
Board Member

Default 92 740 Regina fuel pump replacement

The in tank pump on my 1992 740 Regina made terrible noises on the way home last night and is dead. Any recommendations on brand? FCP euro here in Connecticut has a AC Delco brand in stock
Also I’ve done a few of the Bosch pumps under the car but not one of these. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. I did see there’s a access door under the floor in the back of the wagon
Thanks
oldnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:40 AM   #2
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnfast View Post
Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. I did see there’s a access door under the floor in the back of the wagon
And the adventure begins.....

http://cleanflametrap.com/ReginaFuelPump/

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
oldnfast
Board Member

Thanks for the link it certainly looks like fun although being a wagon it appears way easier to access than a sedan. It’s actually the original pump at 170k that lately I was thinking about replacing proactively
Old 08-17-2022, 12:08 AM   #4
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

I did mine on a lift and pulled the tank. Getting the pump back in with a new seal was tough, even on the ground. I had to use lube and use body weight to get the assembly seated and get the ring started.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2022, 03:24 PM   #5
2manyturbos

I have resorted to dropping the gas tank to do this job more than once. Back east with rusty cars, it is not a good idea. It would likely snowball into extracting broken off fasteners.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #6
bluemoose
Board Member

It can be done without dropping the tank. Just requires some extra cussing and probably a backache. Getting that big plastic ring on/off was the worst part for me.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
brickyard92
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
It can be done without dropping the tank. Just requires some extra cussing and probably a backache. Getting that big plastic ring on/off was the worst part for me.
In addition to that, trying to put the fuel assembly back in at the correct angle was tricky. Make sure you have some knee pads or cushions to kneel on.
On a scale from 1-10,10 being the hardest, I'll say it was a 5.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
oldnfast
Board Member

Thanks for the advice, tips and suggestions much appreciated. Since it’s a third car I’ll wait till it cools off temperature wise and definitely take my time with it. I may also call in a favor to a friends brother who’s a retired mechanic to give me a hand
Old 08-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #9
ortho stice
Board Member

When you go to put the unit back in the tank I’ve had good luck installing the seal completely around the circumference but only at half the depth. Insert the front half of the seal into the tank then press it home. I lubricate everything with a little soapy water. Do a check to make sure the seal didn’t get pinched on the underside and your home free.

It’s not terrible in a wagon but not fun and easy either.
ortho stice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:44 PM   #10
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

I'm also doing this this year on my Regina wagon - mine is at 220K, so I reckon I'm on borrowed time. I'm just not looking for to. dealing with the banjo union or the rusted lines on the sender. Personally, I'd rather have a spare sender on hand in case the fittings break off the sender. I'll be using the AEM pump recommended by others on here. Just mantle sure to put the screw cover/cap back on while you're working on the sender. The tank necks can swell rapidly.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion 740 pickup thread Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote