home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-12-2020, 09:30 PM   #76
lummert
Board Member

Update: as soon as weather permitted I switched back to the ECT with the blue connector. The engine was taking too much cranking to start when cold.

Update: I had been smelling fuel whenever I got near my car. The smell had recently gotten worse. The rain in my area finally stopped long enough for the driveway to dry up. I looked under my car and found fuel dripping from the hose that runs from the inlet to the main pump. Funny thing is fuel wasn't dripping when the engine was running. I bought a length of 1/2" hose from NAPA and swapped the hose. It appears that the new hose has the same markings as the old hose and I remember sometime in the past 13 years buying a length of 1/2" fuel hose from NAPA.

The hose I removed was swollen, separated and split. After seeing the hose I thought that maybe I should have bought better quality hose.

As a side note it appears that the hard start was due to the leaking hose. Now to see if my fuel mileage improves.

Last edited by lummert; 03-21-2020 at 07:06 PM..
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #77
lummert
Board Member

After replacing the hose from the metal fuel line to the inlet to the main pump I'm going to have to mess with the baseline setting again. The overly rich smell from the exhaust coming in my car when my brother had the passenger door open to long tells me it is set too rich.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #78
lummert
Board Member

Update: After fixing the Fuel hose leak I swapped back to the BMW coolant temp sensor with white connector. Idle is better, still have some more tweaking to do. Average mpg with the sensor with blue connector was 20.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #79
lummert
Board Member

Still suspected the BMW coolant temp sensor being defective. I located a sensor with green connector from a Geo Tracker. The specs are similar to the specs of the BMW sensor. The Suzuki OE sensor has the top raised part of the connector offset to the side instead of centered. I filed off the raised part and it fit the wiring connector. I installed this sensor and the idle is now steady and running is great.

I have found the Bosch part number for a sensor with the green connector that replaces the BMW white Connector sensor (0 280 130 023).

Bosch 0 280 130 055 (green connector that fits OE Volvo wiring connector) fits Jaguar XJS 1987-92 5.3L V12. Autozone listing $21.99 at Autozone.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #80
lummert
Board Member

Today's fuel mileage was 23.7 mpg.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #81
lummert
Board Member

Beck Arnley 158-1034

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bck-158-0134

Bosch 0 280 130 055

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bch-0280130055

The Beck Arnley 158-1034 is the sensor that I filed off the tab to fit the wiring connector. Bosch 0 280 130 055 has the correct tab to fit the wiring connector.

Note: these sensors have the correct circuit for LH 2.2, but not for LH 2.4.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #82
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Still suspected the BMW coolant temp sensor being defective. I located a sensor with green connector from a Geo Tracker. The specs are similar to the specs of the BMW sensor. The Suzuki OE sensor has the top raised part of the connector offset to the side instead of centered. I filed off the raised part and it fit the wiring connector. I installed this sensor and the idle is now steady and running is great.

I have found the Bosch part number for a sensor with the green connector that replaces the BMW white Connector sensor (0 280 130 023).

Bosch 0 280 130 055 (green connector that fits OE Volvo wiring connector) fits Jaguar XJS 1987-92 5.3L V12. Autozone listing $21.99 at Autozone.
I switched back to the OE coolant temp sensor with the blue connector. As soon as it started getting warm in my area I started having warm start issues due to over rich fuel mixture. Didn't make any other changes, just swapped out the coolant sensor. Idle improved, cold and warm starts improved. Fuel mileage slightly improved.