• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'67 122s, in way over my head

Manual brakes, always my favorite. Was this upgrade as simple as using a MC from a 1968-69, thus no need for mental gymnastics on bore calculations?

Looking good!

Yep, the late 67-68 cylinder is the same bore as the single circuit one. Brakes feel the same as with the single. You just have to fabricate two short brake lines. Also my power bleeder fits the reservoir on this one. Before I was doing gravity bleeds that took forever.

I toyed with the idea of adapting a 140 style brake booster like they did with the '69 and '70 cars outside the US but this was just a simpler way to have some redundancy in the system. Still might do that someday, but I'll probably try EBC green stuff pads or something first if it becomes tiresome.

Decided to design a few clusters for aftermarket gauges in an amazon. I am trying to somewhat emulate the 544 and 140 rally clusters. The idea is to have a drop in replacement without cutting into the sheet metal. Although it will mean modifications to the dash pad.

iJy4OKll.png

nla2ehll.png

FZyJ0FMl.png

Last edited:
I thought you could use a 140 rally clusters in these, is that not the case ?

No different shape.

vBaGl--0cpsuRz4d4sjkiAtYP8yDdQ8Bj1E9nk9LHhq31x7FTODMSsoUXTt3hY4dCdmlhz3BD98a4YbKurpKl4dYVWvuXrGqIhqqumnxz5nTBNQTs92dKxpEdrwPQg

The amazon and 544 clusters are a trapezoid. With the 544 all of it is exposed and has a nice "Volvo" lettering. The bottom bit is obscured on the Amazon one. Some people have fit the 544 rally cluster by cutting into the amazon dash but it never looks quite right to me.

50263206b69f93b2ed1492f71dbe8452.jpg

Have you seen what Andrew did for the gauge cluster in his car?

S0azfdMh.jpg

Yep, that is actually what sent me down this route. Although barring another dashboard kicking around I think I'll try to do it without cutting into the dash. I'll probably share the CAD files once I get a workable prototype.

Recently when driving the car up to Sacramento I noticed a horrible whine from the blower motor. Luckily the aftermarket motor is ok but it seems my no name plastic blower fan has died. The fan was rubbing the motor housing. Need to find something with a set screw in the right size.

LmSOD2jl.jpg

I'm not sure if it will make a difference in the noise, but the fan motor you are using can be made to turn CW or CCW and the fan blade you bought is for CW motors.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it will make a difference in the noise, but the fan motor you are using can be made to turn CW or CCW and the fan blade you bought is for CW motors.

I've got it running CW right now. Really the noise isn't so bad once you start driving. It is quieter than the engine cruising around town in third at 2000 rpm. Perhaps I was just comparing it to the fan in my modern car.

Well, got a prototype of the gauge cluster put together with five gauges, there were clearance issues. It would appear it needs a steeper angle on the sides almost identical to the stock cluster. Which limits me to pretty much one configuration (some variability with the indicators) to fit two 3 3/8" and two 2 1/16" gauges without cutting the dash. It'll be about a centimeter taller when sticking out of the dash. If I want volt and oil pressure gauges I'll just have to put them below the dash in little pods.

aIUayeHl.png

AutoMeter makes a pair of 3 3/8" diameter gauges that has an electronic speedometer and tachometer in 1 and an oil pressure, volt meter, fuel level and water temperature gauges in the other.

But they ain't cheap!!

1309_44.jpg

AutoMeter makes a pair of 3 3/8" diameter gauges that has an electronic speedometer and tachometer in 1 and an oil pressure, volt meter, fuel level and water temperature gauges in the other.

But they ain't cheap!!

1309_44.jpg

I'm already sitting on a set of VDO series 1 gauges (finding the tach was not easy). I don't glance at the oil pressure or volts all that often so putting those somewhere out of direct view wouldn't be too bad.

The new design that takes into account the angle on the sides needed to clear without cutting any metal. I had to get rid of one of the gauges. Decided to add two extra indicator light holes. One for the OD light and another for whatever I decide to put in there. Probably an indicator light for fog/driving lights or a brake failure light (I can trivially add the reservoir cap switch for it).
GoBiIw7l.png

The first prototype with the gauges installed.
xxelJlil.jpg

That is amazing. Did you 3d print it? If so I think a few of us may be asking for the file.

Yep, that one is 3D printed. I can put up all the CAD files I've been monkeying with if you want. I'll post the results when I have a version that fits nicely.

Back