• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Please Help with Engine Decision

save your money and get an LS style V8. Better mpg, reliability, more herspers, ease of modification

v8 or you might as well crush it

my swap cost about $4k total and I went the expensive route.

save your money and get an LS style V8. Better mpg, reliability, more herspers, ease of modification

my swap cost about $4k total and I went the expensive route.

What are you running for a transmission on the $4k LS build?

I have a b21 that sat with coolant in 2 cylinders for 10+ years that the bottom end now gets me around regularly. It's not dead till it's open and dead

Or you could be like everyone bringing back the olden days when there was no replacement for displacement and putting a V8 in your car made you special.

If you do go this route make sure to post everywhere that your "going to do an LS swap" for the next few years before you take it off the jackstands and crush it. (This insult isn't meant for you Tfest, your car runs)

If you do go this route make sure to post everywhere that your "going to do an LS swap" for the next few years before you take it off the jackstands and crush it. (This insult isn't meant for you Tfest, your car runs)

I think that's the funniest **** too. Pitter patter, **** or get off the pot, get 'er done. My V8 swap took 5 weeks from when I received the motor/trans.

I think that's the funniest **** too. Pitter patter, **** or get off the pot, get 'er done. My V8 swap took 5 weeks from when I received the motor/trans.

I love seeing motors for sale at 3x market value, "I don't need it, going to do an LS swap", then a while later the car without a drivetrain is up as "I was going to do an LS swap but jUst dONt HaVe tIME".

Last edited:

I haven't read your build thread, but how much work and how many corners would you say you cut to make a 5 week engine swap happen?

Do you have a shop, or even just a lift, or friends to help out? Most beginners (or people thinking about a swap like this) don't necessarily have the resources to make that happen in such a short time, especially given the upcoming winter.

(Sorry if that sounded hostile, I'm not doubting you made it happen, just pointing out that not everyone can make a swap happen that fast. I know I tried, and the 144 ended up in pieces for over a year before I got rid of it.)

I haven't read your build thread, but how much work and how many corners would you say you cut to make a 5 week engine swap happen?

Do you have a shop, or even just a lift, or friends to help out? Most beginners (or people thinking about a swap like this) don't necessarily have the resources to make that happen in such a short time, especially given the upcoming winter.

(Sorry if that sounded hostile, I'm not doubting you made it happen, just pointing out that not everyone can make a swap happen that fast. I know I tried, and the 144 ended up in pieces for over a year before I got rid of it.)

Just me and a friend doing all the work in a driveway. The engine is from someone else's V8 Volvo so it already had the correct pan and headers, but that didn't save us enough time to make a difference. Mounts came from STS so the motor was bolt in. This has been done enough times that there aren't any unknowns.

Instead of cutting corners I added corners by custom fabricating shifter linkage so we could use the stock Volvo automatic shifter, used a larger aftermarket aluminum radiator, custom trans cooler setup with efan, all -6 an lines for the fuel and power steering.

link to my thread from when I got the motor: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=358790&page=6

If I had a shop this would have been completed much quicker

I even took the time to find stock style radiator hoses that would fit properly instead of hacking some **** setup together.

The local tuning shop has a wait so we won't know for a few weeks what herspers it makes but this motor has been on the dyno before and it has a BTR stage 3 cam in it. 330ish to the rear wheels.

Back