• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

R32rennsport's Amazon Thread

Interior stuff doesn't interest me, I rather leave that to guys who do it every day.
Well chosen. Of all the tasks where it's easy to detect a freshman effort, a cloth headliner is one of the least forgiving. Practice makes perfect, and lack of it shows off how quickly the skills get rusty. To me, shooting paint is almost as demanding. I'll stick with electrical (easy) and mechanical (fun). There are plenty of folks who enjoy the other tasks, so it's nice to be able to share the wealth.

What kind of roof insulation? Thinsulate?

Looking good!

Well chosen. Of all the tasks where it's easy to detect a freshman effort, a cloth headliner is one of the least forgiving. Practice makes perfect, and lack of it shows off how quickly the skills get rusty. To me, shooting paint is almost as demanding. I'll stick with electrical (easy) and mechanical (fun). There are plenty of folks who enjoy the other tasks, so it's nice to be able to share the wealth.

What kind of roof insulation? Thinsulate?

Looking good!

Thanks, I'd like to think I know how to pick my battles.

For roof insulation I used some 170mm high density self adhesive backed insulating foam sheets from Noico. I used there sound deadening mat for the floors as well. Best bang for your buck, get it off Amazon.

I had them spray the roof with adhesive after removing the remnants of the original stuff just to make sure it stays put. Definitely a huge improvement over what was there before, very noticeable. Curious to see what a difference it will make when it gets warm out again. Thinking about clear ceramic tinting all the windows next to protect the interior and reduce cabin temps further. I'm going crazy on this stuff because the car is black and I have driven it out to the desert on a 95+ degree day and it was absolutely miserable.

I finally got through the thread. Nice build, I'm definitely thinking I'll put a cable throttle on my 122 with twin 45s, even with stiff engine mounts the throttle input can be jumpy.

I finally got through the thread. Nice build, I'm definitely thinking I'll put a cable throttle on my 122 with twin 45s, even with stiff engine mounts the throttle input can be jumpy.

Thanks! You won't regret doing a cable throttle, you just have to be creative in how to set it up.

Time for a quick update. I've completed around 800 miles now on the car. A few longer drives and a bunch of commuting to and from work. On a related note I changed over my liability insurance to Hagerty for a stated value of $15k, didn't want all my hard work to go down the drain if I get clobbered. It was quick and easy and surprisingly affordable.

I had a coolant leak come up early on from the transfer pipe not sealing great which I fixed with a new seal, but it compromised my drive belt so I replaced that. Next and the more serious of the bunch is my head gasket never sealed properly after the whole ARP head bolt debacle which I sorted out with a stud conversion. I knew reusing the contaminated gasket was a risk even though it hadn't compressed so here I am, looks like I'll be replacing it. No coolant loss and great compression but I have a pretty good oil leak after every drive that puddles down by the starter. I'll check the block and head surfaces just to make sure but I find it kind of odd I'm only having an issue on the cold side. Third issue that has cropped up is the overdrive has failed. It was great for awhile and then after a few minutes would start surging and drop out. After much trouble shooting and inspection I've determined the operating pistons have failing seals and will be getting upgraded to the later M46 J Type style pistons.

Overall I'm enjoying the car and knew there would be issues to work out along the way which I'm sure will be sorted by the end of the year. I still have a few unfinished projects hanging over from the initial overhaul as well such as finishing the floor sound insulation and carpet as well as hooking up the driving lights (which will definitely come in handy since we've moved into eternal darkness aka daylight savings).

Love this car. Glad you've got is sorted and are enjoying it.

It's especially fun baiting people on my morning commute. Chill in the slow lane until a newer sports car passes by, then flick on the OD and fill their mirror at 80mph and watch them move over in surprise :rofl:

Just some driving pictures from last weekend, romping it through the local canyons. The intake noise is intoxicating, really need to work on getting some video footage. Fairly deserted during the holidays which made for some sweet uninterrupted driving. I did drive it in the rain a few times earlier in the month which makes me really want a limited slip differential, with the extra Swedish ponies the wheel spin is easier to induce and hooning around corners isn't as smooth with the inside constantly spinning.

I should just start calling this my Amazon picture thread, I hardly do much but drive it lately. Ordered up some yellow fog lights to pair up with the driving lights that should come in next week. I am planning on taking the trans out soon to address the intermittent OD which I diagnosed last year as failing operating piston seals.

Well I'm back at the interior at the moment finishing up everything I neglected back in September to get it to the VCOA meet. Had to stop at this point because I ran out of deadening material and had to order up another case. By the time I'm done I'll have added about 80lbs of new material through out the flooring of the car. Gladly willing to give up some agility for comfort. At 2400 pounds stock this wasn't exactly a sprinter of its era anyhow and with approximately a third more power then it had originally the only thing I'm even slightly concerned about is adequate braking at speed.

Exceptional work. I have a hard time tryig to keep the lust for a 122 at bay; and then I go and stumble on threads like this. All of it is wonderful.

Exceptional work. I have a hard time tryig to keep the lust for a 122 at bay; and then I go and stumble on threads like this. All of it is wonderful.

Thanks for the compliment. They really are great cars. This is coming from someone who owned a few air-cooled beetles prior to Volvo ownership. I just think of them as a more reliable beetle that is a bit more user friendly. It's also nice that the Amazons haven't appreciated to the moon yet and still have great support with both parts and community.

Back