home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-14-2021, 02:19 AM   #1
mblue240
Board Member

Default IPD stainless header pipe

Being a newer item I thought I would share a brief review of the IPD stainless steel header pipe. It seems like a quality piece, welds look good and it fits as it should. The install is easier than the factory pipe as there is a large gap between the pipe and mounting hardware. The added bonus I hadn't thought of is weight savings. The factory pipe weighs 11lbs and the IPD piece is just 6lbs.

There is a large o2 bung on the driver side of the pipe that comes with a quality plug. on the passenger side there is a smaller plug that came with a threaded stud. I put blue loctice on both plugs before I installed it. The smaller bung though there is no way to torque it down, as it will just thread into the pipe. Of course on my first decent drive that smaller plug worked itself into the pipe and stopped at the cat element. This left me with a big exhaust leak and a metallic rattle....on a 4 hour round trip.

I called IPD and asked for the thread pattern, so I could plug it for the next day. The sales rep told me he pulled one pipe off the shelf and it didn't have the plug at all. He said he would call me back with the info. 24 hours later I still didn't hear back from IPD so I pulled it apart and retrieved the plug from inside the cat. Then I grabbed a bolt from the hardware store and plugged it correctly. My notes say it's 12x1.5, I do want to grab a shorter bolt.

I think the pipe is well worth buying, but grab a bolt before you install it.

20210830_171358 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20210908_172234 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20210907_182012 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20210909_124438 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

Tbricks build

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
In Oregon, 5 Volvos in a parking lot isn't a meet, it's just a daily coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
Yep, Michael is right.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:38 AM   #2
carver
Involvoed

Yeah I picked one of those up about three weeks ago, same stupid plug that doesn't have a stop. Who thought that was a good idea, welding mine shut. Here's the thing... you shouldn't have to source a bolt for a port that serves no purpose for the intended vehicle. Ever since the buyout it's been downhill.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
esmth
Board Member

yeah that plug baffled me as well. I guess its a pressure test port to check if the catalyst is gummed up. I shoved a flange bolt with red RTV into it.

Also it may not affect those with o2 sensors near the catalyst but mine is in the manifold itself so I used the included plug for the O2 spot. It kept working its way out so that got red RTV too
Old 09-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
cmsuter
Board Member

I did the same thing. Went and got a bolt and copper washer to plug that stupid hole. Other than that, great product.
cmsuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #5
brian smith
Board Member

Thanks for the review and the photos. That item actually looks kinda decent for the money.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #6
RickATL
Family's fleet manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver View Post
Yeah I picked one of those up about three weeks ago, same stupid plug that doesn't have a stop. Who thought that was a good idea, welding mine shut. Here's the thing... you shouldn't have to source a bolt for a port that serves no purpose for the intended vehicle. Ever since the buyout it's been downhill.

IPD was bought by someone else?

91 245 re-christened “The Mistress” 012021
93 244 "Lars"
92 245 "Astrid"

Past
88 245 "Margit" sold
93 244 completely disassembled - It died, so many of its parts could help others live.
97 855 T5
97 855 NA
RickATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:48 PM   #7
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickATL View Post
IPD was bought by someone else?
IPD was sold to Stuart Hockman. https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/i...cement.636023/
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:44 AM   #8
Otto Mattik
board member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblue240 View Post
Being a newer item I thought I would share a brief review of the IPD stainless steel header pipe. It seems like a quality piece, welds look good and it fits as it should. The install is easier than the factory pipe as there is a large gap between the pipe and mounting hardware. The added bonus I hadn't thought of is weight savings. The factory pipe weighs 11lbs and the IPD piece is just 6lbs.

There is a large o2 bung on the driver side of the pipe that comes with a quality plug. on the passenger side there is a smaller plug that came with a threaded stud. I put blue loctice on both plugs before I installed it. The smaller bung though there is no way to torque it down, as it will just thread into the pipe. Of course on my first decent drive that smaller plug worked itself into the pipe and stopped at the cat element. This left me with a big exhaust leak and a metallic rattle....on a 4 hour round trip.

I called IPD and asked for the thread pattern, so I could plug it for the next day. The sales rep told me he pulled one pipe off the shelf and it didn't have the plug at all. He said he would call me back with the info. 24 hours later I still didn't hear back from IPD so I pulled it apart and retrieved the plug from inside the cat. Then I grabbed a bolt from the hardware store and plugged it correctly. My notes say it's 12x1.5, I do want to grab a shorter bolt.

I think the pipe is well worth buying, but grab a bolt before you install it.
nice write up, info and photos

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323689
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #9
hiperfauto
The Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver View Post
... you shouldn't have to source a bolt for a port that serves no purpose for the intended vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmth View Post
yeah that plug baffled me as well. I guess its a pressure test port to check if the catalyst is gummed up. I shoved a flange bolt with red RTV into it.
The port is there to allow a gas analyzer to be connected pre-cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsuter View Post
I did the same thing. Went and got a bolt and copper washer to plug that stupid hole. Other than that, great product.
That'll be a lot cheaper than getting the factory copper plug but it might be difficult finding one that's only 8mm long.

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...76/948404.html

hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM   #10
Otto Mattik
board member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
The port is there to allow a gas analyzer to be connected pre-cat.

That'll be a lot cheaper than getting the factory copper plug but it might be difficult finding one that's only 8mm long.
Thanks for the follow up info, I assumed the other hole served a diagnostic purpose or something related to the o2.

Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote