• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 ATF change on a 1986

If the nut that holds the tube in place is seized, what makes you think the crossmember bolts wouldn't be seized as well? Snap those off and you're screwed.

The threaded inserts can get damaged. I zip them off with an impact and then use a thread chaser. Sometimes the bolts strip on removal. Old cars and all... Rusty cars are the worst. I won't work on them. Not worth the headache.

I present unto you:
James-May-Award.png

Oh heck no! Unbolt and lower the transmission? Just for a fluid change. I don't think so. Got the pan back on, tightened all their bolts, then set up two bottle jacks. One to counter hold the 30 mm fitting on the pan and an other to loosen the 24 mm tube. Broke it free in 5 seconds.

I do this on a regular basis. There's nothing to it. If the nut loosens, you're good. The rusty ones never budge. I've never had one have a problem to seal up. Some luck involved but not enough to win you the lottery.

You are in Texas though. Try it if you live in Michigan or one of the other Rust Belt states. There?s probably a one percent chance you?ll be successful at it.

Threads look fine,

IMG_1776.JPG

Anybody know the torque spec for the M6 pan bolts or where to find it?

Good. Use some anti-seize compound on the threads when you put it back together and they should stay that way. 50-60 inch*lb for the pan bolts is what I think I remember reading somewhere. It isn?t much.

Good. Use some anti-seize compound on the threads when you put it back together and they should stay that way. 50-60 inch*lb for the pan bolts is what I think I remember reading somewhere. It isn?t much.

Last time I did a transmission pan gasket on an AW70 it was something like 8-10 ft-lbs.

The book said 36-39 in lb. which seems awful low, maybe a misprint. Most M6 bolts on transmission pans are 80-90. Went for 70.

I just checked the Bentley Bible and found the same spec. It's much higher with the paper gaskets. The low torque spec is to keep from distorting the pan and squeezing the gasket out between the bolts. I usually go with 60 in*lb as a happy medium between the specs. 36-39 in*lb is so low I'd be concerned the bolts might back out. Make sure to re-torque the bolts in the next day or two. Once everything heats up that gasket will compress quite a bit.

I just checked the Bentley Bible and found the same spec. It's much higher with the paper gaskets. The low torque spec is to keep from distorting the pan and squeezing the gasket out between the bolts. I usually go with 60 in*lb as a happy medium between the specs. 36-39 in*lb is so low I'd be concerned the bolts might back out. Make sure to re-torque the bolts in the next day or two. Once everything heats up that gasket will compress quite a bit.

Used a Toyota gasket to 70 so hoping no leaks.

Back