• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

All you need to know about the M90

Stock 850 clutch setup doesn't look like it'll work. Pressure plate doesn't line up with the holes in the flywheel and there's a 1/2" gap between the pressure plate and the clutch disc. Anyone have a side shot of one of the pressure plates that's known to work?
So you used the 3082 226 031 on the dog-dish flywheel?

That should work. There should only be a mm of difference between the 850 and 940 clutch.

Can someone tell me how crucial the bracket (#19) is? It looks to be a rear support for the shifter.

I don't have it and want to know if I need to fab something up (unless someone across the pond has some love in their heart and can find me one ASAP).

Can someone tell me how crucial the bracket (#19) is? It looks to be a rear support for the shifter.

I don't have it and want to know if I need to fab something up (unless someone across the pond has some love in their heart and can find me one ASAP).
You can make your own bracket with a rubber bushing in it.

So you used the 3082 226 031 on the dog-dish flywheel?

That should work. There should only be a mm of difference between the 850 and 940 clutch.

That's correct. Also, in addition to the gap, the pressure plate mounting holes don't line up with the holes in the flywheel. In fact, it appears that the mounting holes in my flywheel aren't even on the same diameter from the center of the flywheel as the holes in the pressure plate. Now I wonder about the flywheel I just bought from a member here. :wtf: The one I bought has circular indentations all the way around it just behind the ring gear. I assumed when I saw it that they were the crank sensor notches. I don't see them in the pics on page 1 of this thread. Also, maybe I'm just missing something obvious, but I don't get how any clutch disc less than a good 3/4" thick works with this flywheel. Anyone have a pic of a mated clutch assembly on a flywheel?

Last edited:
You can make your own bracket with a rubber bushing in it.

Two questions:

1. Bracket looks to have 2 holes.....what does it bolt to?

2. What are the general dimensions...such as distance from the top of the mount to center of hole.

Thanks!

Two questions:

1. Bracket looks to have 2 holes.....what does it bolt to?

2. What are the general dimensions...such as distance from the top of the mount to center of hole.

Thanks!

I have access to this stuff this weekend, can take measurements then. I can't sell my M90 stuff, sorry, it still needs to be fitted to my car in the future.

Is the clutch fork pivot ball adjustable? Was wondering what - if any - thickness differences there are between a dual mass and a dogdish?

I have everything in and works incredible but I have to almost shove the clutch pedal into the floorboards to get it to engage smooth(er). If the original flywheel was a dual mass - and it is thicker than the dogdish I am currently using, then I am wondering if the pivot ball needs adjusted.

AND....if anyone here, who has adjusted it, would know an approximate amount. :)

Diesel M90

Ok, I totally confused... I need to know all information about the Diesel M90. Someone said that it will be fit, but others negative.

Finally I found a diesel one at the junk yard, the dealer said that it wont fit because the starter is on the opposite side. On the redblock M90 pictures you can see the starter hole is part of the bell housing, NOT interchangeable to the other side... SO WHAT???:wtf:

Could I mod it to redblock or I have to forget it and wait/search for more years??:-(:-(

The Diesel M90 won't bolt up. The flange looks way different, much more bolts on the diesel version. I never tried to fit one though, only guestimated by eye.

KL-racing.se sells adapter plates that go between the engine and bellhousing but not for redblock to diesel-gearbox. Even if they would have one, at 2000 SKr it isn't a cheap option.

If the box is cheap you could buy it for shifter parts, gears, rear cover etc. maybe even swap all parts to a broken redblock M90.

Yes it could be... here, this gearbox type is extremly rare.... but the cost is friendly ~280$
Main problem is I blew up the 3rd gear in M46... and NO redblock M90 available for the final swap.

A picture of the diesel bellhhousing should help a lot...

Is the clutch fork pivot ball adjustable? Was wondering what - if any - thickness differences there are between a dual mass and a dogdish?

I have everything in and works incredible but I have to almost shove the clutch pedal into the floorboards to get it to engage smooth(er). If the original flywheel was a dual mass - and it is thicker than the dogdish I am currently using, then I am wondering if the pivot ball needs adjusted.

AND....if anyone here, who has adjusted it, would know an approximate amount. :)
Which clutch are you using?

Do you have an M90?

I have got 850 T5 clutch (18,1862314702) from the local dealer. 228mm 20 splines, strenghtened center and double springs compared to N/A disk. But I suprised when I saw that the ferodo surface is smaller than the 740 clutch. (however the T5 drivenplate is designed to hold more power, why so little the suface??)

DSC00752.jpg

It should work, but I will resurface it with Kevlar material, in larger diameter.
By the way the T5 hub diameter is also larger ~15,1cm... the 740 has 14,1cm. It caused problems in the dog dish.
The car is in pieces, waiting for M90 but the weather is so bad for the swap. I don't know yet will this driven plate really working..

I have used both the 18 1862 314 032 (850GLT), and the 18 1862 468 031 (940TDi) friction plate.

They should both be quite competent in holding some power. The only difference is the feel (I like the 940TDi much better).

But... that T5 friction plate looks pretty narrow compared to the other one. As long as it fits it should be ok.

OK I confirm that, it works... T5 narrow disk is working with the d-d flywheel, nicely hold the power. At the next upgrade (19T, 531) I will swap it to kevlar stuff. M90 shift's lovely, in shorter distances, accurate, smooth, compared my totally broken M46. It costs me ~260$ :-P

Test Fit on Spare Block

I test fit my M90 to a spare block with the flywheel, etc I will be using when I convert my 940t from AW71 to M90.

Parts list:
Dog dish flywheel resurfaced, balanced
Option 1 pressure plate (page 1 of this article) Sachs 3082 204 033
940tdi disc
New release bearing
Used, good condition release fork
New plastic pivot ball bush.

It looks like I need to space the pivot ball forward so that the release fork is angled forward. As it is, it is almost perpendicular to the transmission input shaft and it appears the plastic pivot bush's 'feet' which hold it to the pivot ball may contact the pivot ball hex and break off or get deformed when the clutch is actuated. You can see these parts by pulling the release fork rubber boot off and peering inside with a flashlight.

I recall Fred found that pivot ball spacing was necessary in his M90 install as otherwise the clutch would not work.

Last edited:
Back