mikep
The MP

OP, where are you?
Old 07-23-2021, 09:16 PM   #27
Centsableone
SNAFU - BOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
I'm waiting for everyone to complain about a $500+ deposit on the shim kit. All those $4 shims add up really quick when it's basically $20 per size/square in the box plus nearly unobtanium tools.
"nearly unobtanium tools".

I was diggin' round in my parts pile. Is this thing anything ?

In the tube and made in Norway.
1983 245T, 1986 244, 1990 745T, 1990 245, 1982 4- speed 245D,
Currently: 1990 245 and 1992 244

Sale and Purchase Feedback

Centsableone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #28
hiperfauto
The Librarian

That's it!.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:19 AM   #29
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcomet View Post
I appreciate all the advice. But no the hushers were not installed. Basically when head came back all the parts were in a box and valves tapped onto the head so they wouldnt fall out. I set the cam up without the hushers(dont plan to run them.), using a B cam. The base circle size of the B cam is about or close to the original M camshaft. Today, I took the head back to the machine shop, they want 500 to trim down the valve stems (I paid 300 already). So, I called for the manager and after a long talk they are going to fix the head, he was cool about it at no charge. But the guy doing the head is a real butt (to put it nicely). Well see what happens, they claim it was my fault not telling them I wanted a complete job.
Lol, sounds like a great shop to get work done at
Old 07-24-2021, 02:14 AM   #30
2manyturbos

That’s pathetic. What a lame excuse. BTW, $300 should easily cover a 4 cylinder valve job on an 8 valve head unless a lot of parts need to be replaced.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:22 AM   #31
fastcomet
Board Member

[QUOTE=2manyturbos;6202360]That’s pathetic. What a lame excuse. BTW, $300 should easily cover a 4 cylinder valve job on an 8 valve head unless a lot of parts need to be replaced.

No parts replaced. Will keep an update as things come along. I dont have much confidence in theses guys of doing the right thing. But will see and hopefully they will make things right. In the mean time Im taking another head I have and gonna lap the valves and get it set up to use. Have a feeling they will prolong as long as they can. Oh well.
fastcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:47 PM   #32
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

I’m not sure where you live, or how many machine shops are in your area, but I think you’re overpaying for work that is suspect.

Here in Portland, it’s $375-450 for a full rebuild including new valve guides and seals, wash, and surfacing. This is for something that is ready to bolt on and go.

Send me a PM if you have any questions about the work being or what to ask for.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #33
fastcomet
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
I’m not sure where you live, or how many machine shops are in your area, but I think you’re overpaying for work that is suspect.

Here in Portland, it’s $375-450 for a full rebuild including new valve guides and seals, wash, and surfacing. This is for something that is ready to bolt on and go.

Send me a PM if you have any questions about the work being or what to ask for.
Hey I appreciate it. But yes, when they told me my bill was 375 and that included take .030. I was like man thats alot but all would been fine if they did a good job. Now play the waiting game with them, I called the branch manager and explained my case with him. He promised it would be done with no more charges. But yeh, in this area in the ozarks, its hard to find a machine shop that will do good work. If its out of the norm brand and frown. Anyways, enough complaining. Im going to throw a high milage head on the car for now to get back on the road. Its been down for almost 10 weeks.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #34
mikep
The MP

So you’re in missouri? Arkansas? Trying to figure out how to get you out of this jam.
Tipping the valves with cam and buckets in is quick and easy. If you have the right rig. I do, and someone near you might.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #35
fastcomet
Board Member

yes, I am in ozarks of missouri near El Dorado Springs Mo. 64744. The machine shop is in springfield mo. couple of hour drive. But any big city is 2 hours for us. I was thinking of telling machine shop just to take .030 off the valve stem. Maybe they would get it done sooner. I could then figure my shims and order them. I would imagine there is a spec on how much you can take off the stem tip.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #36
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

90volvo lives in eldorado springs. He may have some shims you could use. Shoot him a PM and ask. He is very helpful and has built up some fun volvos.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #37
fastcomet
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
90volvo lives in eldorado springs. He may have some shims you could use. Shoot him a PM and ask. He is very helpful and has built up some fun volvos.
LOL. Thats my pops, he is helping me with my 240 in fact hes my volvo mechanic. Im learning alot of these Volvos as we go along. He has no way taking meat off of the valve stem. He does have a drill press but he says that wont work and a bench grinder is to risky of keeping it square.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:53 PM   #38
philski o'flood
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcomet View Post
LOL. Thats my pops, he is helping me with my 240 in fact hes my volvo mechanic. Im learning alot of these Volvos as we go along.
dude that's so t-bricks
philski o'flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:32 PM   #39
fastcomet
Board Member

machine shop called this morning and had the head all done. They came threw, my dad already has it on and running. Not sure what if there is a bill dad and them had a long talk about it. Anyways I appreciate all the advice and help.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:08 PM   #40
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

Glad you got it running. Give him my regards.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:21 PM   #41
Dvroofer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Glad you got it running. Give him my regards.
This ^
Dvroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #42
mikep
The MP

So I don't have to load up the kwik-way this weekend and take a drive? Sweet.
Good work on getting it sorted out.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #43
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
So I don't have to load up the kwik-way this weekend and take a drive? Sweet.
Good work on getting it sorted out.
I'm intrigued by your kwik-way setup as you mentioned it briefly in an early post. What's the machine number/name?
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:52 PM   #44
mikep
The MP

I will look when i get to work tomorrow. We had 2 at one point, and a very scary surface grinder. We got rid of that beast. I use the machines at the local shop where Alan works, but the kwikway is nice to have at school. And it isn’t dangerous for the kids to be around.