• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

acc mod wont shift hard to 2nd gear?

brentwood volvo

did the acc mod, the piston for second gear did not have the underside spring on it , on my other transmission it is there. first to second gear is not harsh at all the second to third is ok ? anyone have any ideas? all shims are the same length as the sprins inside the accumulators. Kick down cable is tight < and new> do i have it too far tight for it to hit 2nd? any ideas would be great thanks. Kind of tired of dropping the pan ... the trans had no slip before the mod was done so i know its not because its bad

Shimmer the springs to spring length..there is still about a half inch of movement on the pistons. The shims would have to be bigger than the spring to keep the rest of the movement from.happening. it glides into second with no harshness at all. Rest of the shifts are decent. I guess I could make larger shims longer than the springs. Trans had no funk in the trans. Trans has been flushed a couple times . Does not slip at all in gear, I had to replace the kickdown cable I am just tired of dropping the pan and taking fluid baths

Shimmer the springs to spring length..there is still about a half inch of movement on the pistons. The shims would have to be bigger than the spring to keep the rest of the movement from.happening.

Half inch? Wow, I remember MUCH less, maybe 1/8 inch, couple mm in my spacers. My AW71 has been shifting "firm" ever since, about 6K miles now without issue. Better check the specs of those that pioneered this mod....I think the spacers needs to be just shorter than the springs. When those pistons move, you've got accumulation. The mod actually removes most of the dampening of the accumulator, and full pressure hits rather suddenly, giving the crisp neck snapping shifts :oogle:

Mine started life in my DD with about 128K miles. How many on your AW71?

In short, the firm shifts in all gears came immediately with the accumulator modification. It will almost get rubber shifting into reverse :nod:

I need to cut my shims longer than the spring on all of them. The last one I did there was a bottom spring on the middle piston, this one does not have it.

Mine started life in my DD with about 128K miles. How many on your AW71?

In short, the firm shifts in all gears came immediately with the accumulator modification. It will almost get rubber shifting into reverse :nod:

mine shifts harder now but no where near laying down rubber shifting into reverse

Back