• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Leaking rear on M46

QisofrKuin

I was trying to get my '81 all ready for the fall but when I jacked the car up I saw an unfamiliar puddle forming underneath. It seems the rear of the trans is leaking. Two questions, is this the part I probably need, and second, this was my first time jacking up the car, I used the front cross-member. Is there anyway that this put some tension on that weak rear seal and caused it to break? Just a thought that occurred to me, I'd hate it if I damaged the poor thing.

52301418728_d79aa9ce40_z.jpg
[/url]

The seal iPd sells isn't the same as the original one. It has a metal outer shell and a flange or lip. The original seal has rubber on the outer shell and when installed is slightly recessed in the tail housing.

17386.jpg

bc31e1a1ea189779a470ff6f949bbcaf.jpg

The seal iPd sells isn't the same as the original one. It has a metal outer shell and a flange or lip. The original seal has rubber on the outer shell and when installed is slightly recessed in the tail housing.

]

Just to clarify, does the IPD replacement work despite the differences or is there a different place I could/should buy one like the original?

Just to clarify, does the IPD replacement work despite the differences or is there a different place I could/should buy one like the original?

I assume that IPD's seal works but I haven't tried one. I prefer the original style seal. It's still available from Volvo although it's expensive.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-sealing-ring-1232013?c=bD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM%3D

VP has it at a reasonable price.

https://vp-autoparts.com/en/artiklar/seal-ring-overdrive-j-type-69-74-240-m41.html

Although a separate job, the speedometer o-ring and or seal could be leaking too.

We usually have the speedometer seal and the o-ring along with the rear seal in stock. The speedometer seal and o-ring are OE Volvo and the rear seal is an aftermarket that we've been using for over 20 years without issue.

IPD doesn't carry the speedometer seal separately just the o-ring and rear seal and only sells the speedometer seal in their O/D kit.

VP does sell all 3 pieces separately.

Although a separate job, the speedometer o-ring and or seal could be leaking too.

We usually have the speedometer seal and the o-ring along with the rear seal in stock. The speedometer seal and o-ring are OE Volvo and the rear seal is an aftermarket that we've been using for over 20 years without issue.

IPD doesn't carry the speedometer seal separately just the o-ring and rear seal and only sells the speedometer seal in their O/D kit.

VP does sell all 3 pieces separately.

You don't happen to have part numbers or links to those do you? So far my searches on VP have turned up empty.

Nothing you did caused the seal to leak. The seal is at least 36 years old by now. The good news is they are easy to replace.

Is it necessary to remove the whole rear of the transmission to get the old seal out or can I basically just take the driveshaft off and do the job? Most of the stuff I have found regarding this job have varied pretty dramatically in how the job must/ought to be done.

You only need to remove the driveshaft and rear flange to replace the seal. The seal can be pried out with a seal puller or large screwdriver.

Is this the same process for M47? It has a leaking output seal, must I remove the rear section or is the seal itself able to be replaced in position?

Anyone know the details of replacing this second little seal on the speedo unit? I'm just not certain where it goes...anyone with experience doing this? I've already changed the o-ring so I'm just trying to figure out where this goes.

52380874712_1ee1de820f_z.jpg

You need to press out the sleeve that the gear rides in to access the seal.

GR-36397_49.png

Thanks for the diagram, that's super helpful.

Any advice on how to get that out of there, I've tried to push it out with a screwdriver but no luck. Anyone have some advice on getting that done?

Hmmm... a seal inside there? That's a new one on me. What happened to the little top hat that fit on the threaded end and was held on by the nut on the cable? Am I showing my (old) old car bias again?

Back