• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 242: how to separate rocker panel and quarter panel?

VolvoGLT

How are the rear quarter panels attached to the rocker/sill panels? As you can see the rocker panel is in bad shape and I'd like to replace it entirely. Are the two panels spot welded together and covered by filler?

20220920-123332.jpg

The inside flange of the quarter panel is spot welded to the rocker. If you cut away the rocker at the seam, find the spot welds and grind away the rocker panel, drill holes in the quarter panel to plug weld them later. The lip of the quarter panel might be rusted where it meets the rocker panel, the rear corner is tricky. A patch panel for the quarter panel might be the way to go.

There is also an inner rocker that rusts out. It's available from VP Autoparts. The door post is no longer available. I have to repair that on my car and so far it seems like I have to cut from a donor to get it.

Pull off the rear interior panel and take a look inside the quarter panel and you will see the spot welds. The rocker slopes up, therefore, you don't want to cut right above the seam between the rocker and quarter.

Back