• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

87' 240 key switch position II:will it discharge ?

grcamna5

Hi,I just joined,I'm Bill.
I want to hook-up a solar battery trickle charger(any recommendations for a small solar trickle charger/pulse solar trickle?)to my cigarette lighter socket.Can I turn the key switch to the 1st click II position for accessories w/o turning on any accessories and then connect a solar battery trickle charger on the dash and leave it parked like that without discharging the battery ?
This is just to maintain the battery to retard sulphation.
thanks,Bill

Last edited:
It will vary based on how much power your charger generates, what accessories your particular car is equipped with, and how bad a shape your wiring is in after 35 years.

You could, as an alternative, re-wire the lighter socket to be always hot and then charge with the key off. Or: add one of these behind the dash or inside the glovebox and wire to be always hot (https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Cigarette-Lighter-Connector-Adapter/dp/B074CT5CSN)

Either way make sure to do proper wiring connections - solder and shrinkwrap or good crimps - and make sure it is fused! Your charger may only generate a couple amps but if it gets backfed from the battery or alternator you don't want anything dodgy or flammable going on.

I am pretty sure the blower motor runs in the accessory position. I don't have a 240 nearby to check.

My '87 will run the blower with key in any position other than off. However I don't have the AC blower thing so turning off the blower switch should stop it.

Hi,I just joined,I'm Bill.
I want to hook-up a solar battery trickle charger(any recommendations for a small solar trickle charger/pulse solar trickle?)to my cigarette lighter socket.Can I turn the key switch to the 1st click II position for accessories w/o turning on any accessories and then connect a solar battery trickle charger on the dash and leave it parked like that without discharging the battery ? thanks,Bill

Why? Are you going to leave it parked long term? Just disconnect the battery.

Why? Are you going to leave it parked long term? Just disconnect the battery.

I only run the car every couple months and I want to maintain the battery to keep it from getting below the voltage to where it starts to sulphate. thanks,Bill

My '87 will run the blower with key in any position other than off. However I don't have the AC blower thing so turning off the blower switch should stop it.

Yes,I keep the blower switch off and can't detect any other power-on accessory with the key switch in the II position.

It will vary based on how much power your charger generates, what accessories your particular car is equipped with, and how bad a shape your wiring is in after 35 years.

You could, as an alternative, re-wire the lighter socket to be always hot and then charge with the key off. Or: add one of these behind the dash or inside the glovebox and wire to be always hot (https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Cigarette-Lighter-Connector-Adapter/dp/B074CT5CSN)

Either way make sure to do proper wiring connections - solder and shrinkwrap or good crimps - and make sure it is fused! Your charger may only generate a couple amps but if it gets backfed from the battery or alternator you don't want anything dodgy or flammable going on.

thanks Khrrck.
The solar charger I just ordered claims to make 5 watts.

thanks Khrrck.
The solar charger I just ordered claims to make 5 watts.

5 watts or 5 amps? 5W at 12V isn't much!

In either case I would not recommend the key-on solution for long term storage, simply because it involves leaving the key in the car! (Cylinder will not release the key until car is turned off...)

5 watts or 5 amps? 5W at 12V isn't much!

In either case I would not recommend the key-on solution for long term storage, simply because it involves leaving the key in the car! (Cylinder will not release the key until car is turned off...)

Yes, 5wts.,just a charge maintainer to keep the battery from sulphating,hopefully it'll be just enough.I'd like to get a solar 'pulse' charger,if they make one.I have a valet key I could leave in it while keeping my main ignition key with me,car locked.I park it right within sight down stairs from my apartment.

Why not disconnect the battery and then run wires from battery to solar charger. No keys in car.

You can still find a copy of the '87 wiring greenbook (TP31054-1) here

I'd get one of the ebay fused cigarette lighter socket kits, mount it in one of the dash gauge blanking plates, or a switch block-off plate if it will fit, and wire it into the fuse panel. Look in the greenbook on page ~3 to see what fuses are live all the time, then find an unused tab on one of those to wire into. Check with a meter just to make sure the diagram matches your car.

I have a valet key I could leave in it while keeping my main ignition key with me,car locked.I park it right within sight down stairs from my apartment.
The only thing the valet key doesn't do is open the trunk and glove box.
It still opens the doors, and lets the crackhead drive your car away (after he smashes the window while you're sleeping and can't hear).

To expand on what nel621 is suggesting, used one of those eBay fused lighter sockets wired directly to the battery. Then, on the negative terminal, install one of those battery shut off terminals. Make sure that the ground wire is connected to the clamp side of the shut off terminal. When the car's parked, unscrew the knob to disconnect the battery from the car's electrical system, then plug your solar charger into the newly added lighter socket, leaving it on the dash.

That way, no keys are needed, and the battery will keep its charge longer, since the charger won't be fighting any parasitic drains that may appear over the next few years, like they typically do on redblock cars.

To expand on what nel621 is suggesting, used one of those eBay fused lighter sockets wired directly to the battery. Then, on the negative terminal, install one of those battery shut off terminals. Make sure that the ground wire is connected to the clamp side of the shut off terminal. When the car's parked, unscrew the knob to disconnect the battery from the car's electrical system, then plug your solar charger into the newly added lighter socket, leaving it on the dash.

That way, no keys are needed, and the battery will keep its charge longer, since the charger won't be fighting any parasitic drains that may appear over the next few years, like they typically do on redblock cars.

Definitely this. Don't get your car stolen! Insurance usually doesn't cover theft if key was in the ignition, either.

Thanks folks.I'll set something up as you described.I can install some wires to hook-up the solar charger direct and leave the key out of the ignition so I don't need to worry about theft.
That battery disconnect seems a good idea also as I don't want any extra draw on my system.Do you think they make something that I can install inline on my original negative- wire,kind of like a toggle switch,where I cut through the original cable and can turn it on and off ? thanks,Bill

Last edited:
IPD Battery Disconnect Switch

fullsize_9142.jpg

You will need to isolate the battery from the entire car. The clock and computer will have a draw.

Back